file Smooth Curves with Scale Two Zero

• HiGuy
  • HiGuy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
08 Mar 2015 02:36 - 08 Mar 2015 02:50 #1
A few months ago, I made a Torque Constructor plugin for making curves, called Scale Two Zero (name takes after Scale to Zero, ShadowMarble's plugin which does something similar but less powerful). With it, you can easily create smooth curves and complicated geometry. The tool is available from my site at this link , along with a few other goodies if you want them.

Downloads section (TL;DR):
Scale Two Zero
Map Splitter
Sample flat curve .map file
Sample banked curve .map file

On to curves, there are two types: flat and banked. They both have different ways of being creating, so there will be instructions for both.

Flat curves:
Flat curves are pretty simple, you shouldn't need any FlexiCubes or weird exporting tricks to get a map that works.

Start off by creating a thin slice, that will be rotated to create the curve:
[img

Select the edge vertices before rotating to simply the process:
[img

As well, select the top face:
[img

Switch to brush mode and radial clone the slice as you like. I used a center of (-20, 0, 0), an angle of 6, and 30 clones to form a large semicircle curve.
[img

Hold Alt+Shift and drag to box deselect the vertices on the ends, as they do not need to be modified by the tool.
[img

Should give you all of the edge vertices that need to be scaled:
[img

Run Scale Two Zero with the vertices, selecting the X, Y, and Z axes. You shouldn't have to change the lower bound or modifiers for this.
[img

After running, if you switch to face mode, all the top faces should be selected.
[img

Tweak the top faces to your preference.
[img

Select all the side faces to fix their texturing as well.
[img

A simple stretch to fit looks nice and is a very easy solution:
[img

And here's the final, finished curve!
[img

Banked curves:
Banked curves are massively simplified with Scale Two Zero. What used to take hours now can take only a few minutes. To create banked curves, however, you will need to use FlexiCubes and a map splitter. These shouldn't be too difficult, and I'll try to explain how to use them as best as I can.

To start off your curve, place down a default FlexiCube:
[img

They come untextured, so apply the texture of your choice to it. I chose custom_woodblockside:
[img

Expand the FlexiCube by moving its side vertices outward, until you get a strip similar to what we did in the flat curve:
[img

Select the edge vertices (be careful to not select the center vertices, they will mess up the curve):
[img

Configure your radial clone to your liking. I chose an origin of (-20, 0, 0), an offset of (0, 0, 0.3), a rotation of (0, -2, 0), and 30 clones for a nice, banking, rising semicircle curve. You can change these values within reason, but make sure that the slices' vertices line up well, otherwise the tool may try to connect them to other slices.
[img

Make the radial clone and switch to vertex mode, which should select all the edge vertices. Use alt+shift drag to box deselect the vertices on the end pieces, as they should not be modified by the tool:
[img

Use Scale Two Zero on the selected vertices, selecting the X, Y, and Z axes. If you get issues with vertices splitting, you may need to increase the Lower Bound to 0.01, but this shouldn't be an issue with a new curve. If you want to favor some axes above the others, you can adjust the X, Y and Z axis modifiers. Note that distances will be multiplied by these values, so smaller values (closer to 0) will prioritize those axes. For these parameters, (1 1 1) should work fine.
[img

Run Scale Two Zero, and admire the finished curve!
[img

Note that generally these complicated curves have difficulty exporting with Map2Dif by default. I'll touch on using a map splitter in another thread, but you can download it from my site at this link and give it a shot, if you want. You should only have to drag the map onto the executable/application to get it to split.

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }
Last edit: 08 Mar 2015 02:50 by HiGuy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kwill, Nockess

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RDs.The-dts-guy
  • Developer
  • Developer
  • Blender pls
  • Thank you received: 188
18 Mar 2015 10:20 - 18 Mar 2015 10:20 #2
THIS is freaking amazing. Finally got around to test this thing and as someone who uses original scale to zero quite often:

Heres the first curve I did using my old method but with new S2Z, it's slightly banked and a bit rough but roughness could be solved easily. Also no flexy cubes where used to make this, the method is based on Ottomarble's curve method where square is sliced diagonally. MBGMap2difPlus (by seziure) was used to convert this.
Aether way this is a huge timesaver, back in day when I used make curved pipes I had to scale down each vertice manually which took loads of time this thing should speed it up least 20times.

Some guy that does DTS shapes and levels.

AWESOME time HINT : When making PQ level place your custom interiors and textures in platinum/data/interiors_pq/custom
makes life easier for you and everyone else :)
Last edit: 18 Mar 2015 10:20 by RDs.The-dts-guy.

• HiGuy
  • HiGuy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
18 Mar 2015 15:03 #3

RDs.empire wrote: this is a huge timesaver, back in day when I used make curved pipes I had to scale down each vertice manually which took loads of time this thing should speed it up least 20times.

That was the goal -- it always took me forever to make complicated curves, and eventually I just gave up and created this plugin. Hope it helps.

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.891 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.