• Nockess
  • Nockess's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Girl
More
12 Jun 2017 19:15 #1 by Nockess
Height Testing was created by Nockess
I decided to build a small map that is designed for seeing how high one's marble goes when it interacts with various things in the game, such as super jumps or bumpers. Hopefully this helps some of you level builders out there.

Let's get started. First we have the bouncy floor. There isn't a whole lot to say here. It appears that you can go just over 3 1/2 tiles (10 trim units) before your marble starts to descend.

Up next is the super jump. The first situation is using the powerup without jumping beforehand. If you stay off the wall (because sticking to a wall can increase the height), I'd say a fair guess is about 5 3/4 tiles, or 19 trim units. If you want to be nice to players when building your level, maybe stay with 5 1/2 tiles, or 18 trim units.

The other situation is jumping before using a super jump. Unfortunately, this is a little bit harder to measure because your height depends on when you use the powerup after pressing the jump key. Along with that, I didn't make my interior tall enough, but the good thing is that it wasn't too short to where I'd have to rebuild it. In the end, I'll have to give a rough estimate of 9 tiles (36 trim units).

Now we move on to the bumpers. Note that I'm making my judgement from the top of the bumper rather than the bottom of the bumper, so I'm taking off one trim unit from my final answer. Since it looks like my marble can't reach the fourth tile mark, I'll say about 3 1/2 tiles, or 10 trim units. Just like the bouncy floor!

Triangular Bumpers are a little bit different. The upside is that they're about one trim unit tall so I can take off one trim unit from my final answer, but the downside is that the top is a little bit slanted, so one's height actually increases and decreases depending on where the collision between the marble and the bumper is. Along with that, your momentum can also change the height. For the best outcome, I went for the middle of the bumper with the least amount of forward momentum possible. I'd say that you can match this one with the circular bumper and the bouncy floor. (3 1/2 tiles, or 10 trim units.)

Finally, I tried out duct fans. This is another one where you can't always get the same result because of when the marble is in reach of the wind and how long the marble stays right on top of the fan (meaning in the center of it and not off to the side). I'd say that a good estimate is 4 3/4 tiles (15 trim units), but if you don't want to be mean, rounding to 4 1/2 tiles (14 trim units), or even 4 tiles on the dot (12 trim units) wouldn't be a bad idea.

That's all I have to share for now. If for some reason you'd like the interior, or even the entire mission that I tested this in, there's a download link at the bottom of the post. If anyone has other things that need to be measured, please say so.
Hope this helps!

Mission and interior download: www.mediafire.com/file/bm8ca5194ua0k8c/heighttest.zip

First player ever to get all of the Awesome Times.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Regislian, Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• HiGuy
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • At college, may not be around
More
12 Jun 2017 19:41 - 13 Jun 2017 17:11 #2 by HiGuy
Replied by HiGuy on topic Height Testing
Here's the math for the physics behind this, in case you were curious.
∆y = (vy_f^2 - vy_0^2) / 2a
Assuming final velocity is zero,
∆y = -vy_0^2 / 2a
And you can plug in -20 m/s/s for acceleration, so
∆y = vy_0^2 / 40

Using the raw constants for various impulses as vy_0 will tell you the exact total height:
- Jump: 7.5 m/s = 1.407m (1 tile = 2m = 4 trim)
- Bouncy floor: 15 m/s = 5.625m
- Super Jump: 20 m/s = 10m
- Jump + Super Jump: 27.5 m/s = 18.907 (assuming both impulses are applied on the same frame, actual value is slightly less than this)
- Bumper (all kinds): 15 m/s = 5.625m

Fans are slightly more tricky as they're actually a conical force field with a 10 meter radius and 40m/s/s force. Also you have to account for the distance from the fan.

PQ in a nutshell
function clientcmd12dothepq() {
    commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor');
}
Last edit: 13 Jun 2017 17:11 by HiGuy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nockess

More
12 Jun 2017 20:52 #3 by Nature Freak
Replied by Nature Freak on topic Height Testing
Don't forget there's also this topic if you want additional information.

Moderators: Kalle29AayrlRegislian