lock Why is PlayMissionGui.gui not public by now?

• whirligig
  • whirligig's Avatar Topic Author
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Thank you received: 261
13 Apr 2015 23:48 #1
So, I figured I'd open this up for discussion. Currently, the only GUI file from MBG that has been released to the public (in non-DSO format, with the code) is MainMenuGui.gui (there was an old post of it that I can't find; these days, you can find a modified version of it in MBPU). Knowing that several individuals in the community (namely MBP staff) have the source for PlayMissionGui, why has it not been released to the public?

Reasons why I think it would be a good idea:
  1. Almost all mods make changes to PlayMissionGui, and having to use workarounds makes mod creation more annoying (and could cause instability; after all, the workaround essentially means loading two nearly identical copies of the GUI).
  2. The forum topic on how to work around this was lost to the Vault, even though the issue is still confusing people today.
  3. The source code for MainMenuGui was released, proving that the MBP staff have a means of obtaining permission (if this is even necessary).
  4. The Marble Blast staff seems to have taken a more open stance on distributing copyrighted game material since the new website added MBG to its downloads; essentially, the policy has been established by this precedent as "if they don't tell us not to, we'll apologize when the lawyers show up." Based on the fact that MBG is still up a year later, the lawyers most likely will not show up.
  5. To my knowledge, nothing in PlayMissionGui.gui has any effect on the registration system, i.e. distributing PlayMissionGui.gui would not allow individuals to pirate MBG any more easily than is already possible.
  6. On a more philosophical level, the fact that the Platinum Team has access to PlayMissionGui.gui, etc. is an instance of Marble Blast administration having access to resources that the general population of the community does not. I see no issue with Platinum Team members not releasing the MBP script source in itself (being a matter of "corporate secrecy" in Marble Blast modding), but for them to use resources that other members do not have undermines the democratic nature of the community to some degree. That is to say, the Platinum Team has essentially secured their dominance in the community in part (albeit a small part) by hoarding these resources. "Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry," as Thomas Jefferson once said.

I probably didn't need to pull out Jeffersonian political theory, but my points are valid: there is no reason I see for MBP staff not to release the PlayMissionGui source apart from maintaining a social position of superiority.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeff, Regislian
The topic has been locked.
  • Kalle29
  • I blame ping for losing
  • Thank you received: 754
13 Apr 2015 23:54 #2
Throw $100 at them and you'll get it.

༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽ You have been visited by the Nivea™ Donger of moisture. Soft skin and good fortune will come to you, but only if you post "thank you Mr. Skeltal" in this thread ༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeff
  • HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
14 Apr 2015 00:15 #3
Totally agree with this, will bug Matan when he wakes up.

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeff
  • Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
  • PlatinumQuest Programmer
  • Thank you received: 205
14 Apr 2015 01:57 #4
release it ffs.

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.
  • Nockess
  • Respected Marbler
  • Respected Marbler
  • Cheater Supreme
  • Thank you received: 786
14 Apr 2015 14:46 #5

will bug Matan when he wakes up.

will bug Matan when he wakes up.

Yes, please. Anything that involves Matan need to be buggy. He has a lack of programming skills (at least compared to HiGuy, Jeff, and Matt... :P), so that will definitely work out for him.... heh heh heh

Call me Chris!

Discord: Nockess#4107
YouTube: www.youtube.com/Nockess
Custom Levels: marbleland.vaniverse.io/profile/5
  • IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
  • Thank you received: 912
21 Apr 2015 21:19 #6
Coulda just asked higuy to bug me, no need to make a whole thread (I just tl;dr, busy days), got the original stuff and sent higuy to upload to the website to make it an official download soon enough.

Locked.

"matan, now i get what you meant a few years back when you said that "the level in mbg is beyond me" after the last rampage i noticed things were insane, and now i truly feel that too" - Dushine, 2015.
  • HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
21 Apr 2015 21:31 #7
Uploaded and posted here .

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }
Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.795 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.