file Marble Blast Neon [SUSPENDED]

• StewMan46
  • StewMan46's Avatar Topic Author
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Thank you received: 46
14 Aug 2013 13:45 #1
Due to the success of MBS, I have decided to make another mod, Marble Blast Neon. The mod is set to be neon based and will have different levels to MBS. I may add multiplayer to the mod if you want.
If you want to help, ask me on Youtube or MBForums (this webpage).
Thanks,
StewMan46

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0
14 Aug 2013 14:12 #2
Really? You just started a mod 1 month ago and now you want to make a new one? Wow... MarbleBlast Super isn't even finished! Remember what we told you on the MBS topic, making a mod isn't as easy as it seems, it's a lot of work.

Good luck.

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
  • PlatinumQuest Programmer
  • Thank you received: 205
14 Aug 2013 17:43 #3
Wait a minute, wait a minute. MBSuper isn't even finished yet, but you're going to start up another mod? Why not finish MBSuper first before you start this one. You'll get yourself burned out and want to end up quitting on both. (I've worked on multiple mods before at one time, it happened to me)

In my opinion, do one marble blast project at a time, plus wouldn't this just delay the release of MBSuper?

Good luck if you still want to go do this, but I agree with what Alexis said above this post.

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: StewMan46

• davidjl123
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Intermediate Marbler
14 Aug 2013 18:43 #4
I would advise you to focus on only one mod, MBSuper. MBSuper is just started, so finish that first before you start this mod.

• StewMan46
  • StewMan46's Avatar Topic Author
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Thank you received: 46
14 Aug 2013 19:06 #5
Alright, we will finish MBSuper first, then we will work on MBNeon.

14 Aug 2013 19:32 #6
If I may ask, I was just wondering where does the multiplayer come from? I thought Jeff and HiGuy were still working hard on it.

Good luck with both your mods!

• Joey
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Doer of things.
  • Thank you received: 191
14 Aug 2013 20:14 #7
I have a better idea.

To me, it seems as though you are throwing up new mods based on new ideas. Once you've polished your idea, you get bored of it and think of a new one. This, while somewhat normal, is pretty much how most mods die. You start working on a mod with a high ambition of doing all this cool stuff with it; then, after realizing that it is too much work in addition to the thought of having to come up with 60-100 original levels, you start a new one. Let me ask you something: Is MBNeon a mod? Or is it simply an idea? Is it an idea that could well be implemented into MBS, or the other way around? (Sorry, that was three questions. I don't mean to overwhelm you)

Let me ask you something else: If MBNeon is simply an idea (an idea of a neon theme), how do you expect to come up with 60-100 more original levels (from MBS) as well as more new features (from MBS)? Would it be original enough to truly differentiate it from other mods? And if MBS fails, would it be because of the new idea that sprouted from MBN?

The point I'm making is that, while mods sprout from ideas, there doesn't appear to be enough depth in your idea here to reliably make a fully-fledged mod that we know will succeed. You've said that levels will be neon-themed. Why not just incorporate those into MBS instead of making an entirely new mod out of it? It would be one thing if MBNeon was your one and only mod, but it seems like you intend on thinking of ideas and making separate mods out of them. This is bad for a number of reasons:
    It lowers the chance of any mods getting done. Nowadays, being that the demand for quality mods is getting much higher (since 2007 for example), if you want to make a mod, it needs to be a pretty darn good one. Telling us that Neon will have neon-based levels is not enough. It sounds new, yes, but it doesn't convince us that the mod will succeed, being as you seem to have no other ideas surrounding it. It not only takes ideas, but it also takes
commitment, something very few people have in this day in age. From my own experience, I've found that the fastest progress you get on a mod will be the earliest stages of it, being as you are forming a new idea. As you progress, however, you've shaped your idea, and eventually you get bored of it. This is another reason why it is important to have a number of surrounding ideas. In a mod, you are required to come up with everything, from GUI to coding, levels, music, etc. either by yourself or (most recommended) with staff. However, bear in mind that unless you are convincing enough, it's pretty difficult to get good staff these days, as they likely have better things to do than to work on something that will never get done. Now, take everything I've just said, and multiply it by however many mods you're working on at the same time.
It means that none of the mods will have the originality they need. It's one thing to work on mods one at a time, and get them done, as you are more likely to come up with new and original ideas then, being as you can look back at your completed mod to see how you can make it even better. However, by working on multiple mods at the same time, you throw all your ideas into different mods, but there is no foundation for them. Why can't you put the ideas you have for MBN in MBS, or the other way around? Is it because you want an entire mod based around neon-themed levels? Heck, I could say I want a mod with rainbow levels, another one with beach-themed, another one with volcano-themed, etc. The problem with doing that is the simple fact that these are just ideas. Once you start working you're going to get bored very quickly if there is no foundation for these ideas. For each of these hypothetical mods, I would have to come up with 60-100 original levels, as well as new features, GUI, music, etc. that completely differentiates it from the previous mod, all for the simple fact that I want rainbow-themed levels. Instead, I recommend either making a level pack with custom textures if you want so that you don't have to worry about all of these things (to an extent), or simply making custom levels with the same standards. This way, you can suit all of your level-theme needs without the worry of just about everything I've said above.
It means you really do not understand the work involved with making a mod. Because if you did, you would know that working on multiple mods at one time can result in reason #2, and then shortly after, reason #1. You therefore are less likely to get much help from staff, as the chances of mods and mod ideas such as this pulling all the way through to a full release in addition to the other mods you're working on, is quite low. And in which case, people would prefer not to work on things that will not succeed. Work on one mod, and if you get it done and it reaches today's standards (meaning no paint textures, etc.), then maybe you will be more likely to finish another.

I'm sorry if I sound rude, (being as I typically do when I'm criticizing) but I'm trying to give you the best advice I can being as I've pretty much experienced the same things in the past with mod-making. Really think about all of this, regarding not only this mod but MBS also, and then make some smart decisions. I do hope I'm helping, and I'm not trying to sound dicouraging necessarily. But if you come back and tell me that both mods will be a 100% success, I will simply tell you that I'll believe it when I see it.

I love you, but your attitude is like that of a shrew. Your options? Take a pill or be my kill. Might I suggest that you wear a vest. Perish in class or be banished to the land of bluegrass, where dreams don't exist as you'll be eternally pissed.

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
  • Thank you received: 912
15 Aug 2013 01:21 #8
What other people have said, and especially Tech Warrior who easily made the topic's best post.

I'm locking this topic further until MBSuper actually releases or is near-release. Please do not make new threads for new mods that you're thinking of until you're actually done with your current plate.

If you're done with Super with anything other than a RELEASED tag, such as INCOMPLETE RELEASE, meaning only partial finish of the mod and not what the original set out to have, then perhaps it is a really really bad idea for you to start a new mod because you really cannot complete a mod properly.

Changing tag to SUSPENDED until Super is either RELEASED or INCOMPLETE RELEASE.

"matan, now i get what you meant a few years back when you said that "the level in mbg is beyond me" after the last rampage i noticed things were insane, and now i truly feel that too" - Dushine, 2015.

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.873 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.