file My New Marble Blast Mod

• Elektrix
  • Elektrix's Avatar Topic Author
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Thank you received: 0
04 Mar 2013 04:13 #1
Hello my name is Hypersonic1300 this is also my YouTube account. I just want to say I am making a new mod named Marble Blast Spark (MBSK). I need permission from Isrealrreddragon to start this mod. Also I need a bunch of people to help me with this mod. Please reply to this if you want to help with this. I really need music people people who are good with torque etc. This is a serious mod I really want to start this mod so please reply and help with me. Thank you!

-Hypersonic1300

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 15
04 Mar 2013 04:42 #2
First off, I moved this topic from the General MB board into a more appropriate board. Secondly, you don't need IsraeliRD's permission to start a mod, or anyone else's, as seen below.

Oct 1, 2010, 5:31am, admin wrote:YOU DO NOT NEED TO ASK FOR PERMISSION TO CREATE A MOD.

Truth is (and I don't know why people think otherwise), there's absolutely NO NEED to obtain permission from TorquePowered to build a modification to Marble Blast Gold. You are always permitted to build one while you credit GarageGames/TorquePowered as the original creators of the game (MBGold).

For these first two items, a little reading and checking around the forums first would have helped you out.

Thirdly, I think it will be very difficult for you to get staff - many people are in other mods already. Many people won't want to join this mod in particular because there's no evidence that you have any sort of plan or vision for it. What will make it stand out from other mods - will it be creative and/or original enough that people will want to play it? What features will it have? How many levels do you plan to make? And how much time do you plan to spend on it? Mods can't be done in a week and still be good - they require months of planning, preparation, level creation, coding, testing, etc. Many mods currently in production have been that way for several years.

I would read over these two topics if I were you - they should be of great help:
www.marbleblast.com/index.cgi?boa....ay&thread=11053
www.marbleblast.com/index.cgi?boa....ay&thread=11079

• Elektrix
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
04 Mar 2013 04:57 #3
OK I did read the thing and make a second one by accident and I do have plans for it I just wanted people to know about my new mod. OK a big plan for this mo also is there are new marbles there's online there is a sort've campaign type story in this mod that will make it very interesting. The problem is I don't know how to do online but I did watch an video about MBG in multiplayer. A thing is I have so much trouble with torque. Now I've been making plans for this mod for a couple months and I've just started making it witch is stupid of me. In a few days or a week I will have some textures in and I will show the community that. Thank you for pointing out those few tips and this is my final post for the night. (Where I live its almost 9.) Bye and thanks for listening!

-Hypersonic1300

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
  • PlatinumQuest Programmer
  • Thank you received: 205
04 Mar 2013 05:31 #4
Mar 3, 2013, 8:57pm, hypersonic1300 wrote:OK I did read the thing and make a second one by accident and I do have plans for it I just wanted people to know about my new mod. OK a big plan for this mo also is there are new marbles there's online there is a sort've campaign type story in this mod that will make it very interesting. The problem is I don't know how to do online but I did watch an video about MBG in multiplayer. A thing is I have so much trouble with torque. Now I've been making plans for this mod for a couple months and I've just started making it witch is stupid of me. In a few days or a week I will have some textures in and I will show the community that. Thank you for pointing out those few tips and this is my final post for the night. (Where I live its almost 9.) Bye and thanks for listening!

-Hypersonic1300

Multiplayer isn't for the public yet, it is under development still by HiGuy and myself. If you saw Multiplayer anywhere else, its not official

~Jeff

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.

• Thank you received: 91
04 Mar 2013 06:48 #5
Before you start a mod, plan out everything you need. Make a list of all the positions you will need filled and all the new content that will need to be created. I guarantee you that, before you finish the list, you'll realize that there's not nearly enough active members (that aren't already in a mod) to fill all the positions you need. And that's assuming that everyone that's not currently tied down would be willing to spontaneously join a mod.

As you can probably see in this board (and this one as well), a majority of the mods that new members started with similar posts have ended up dead less than a week later. Only a select few mods have actually made it past the planning stage, let alone releasing a final product.

• Elektrix
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
04 Mar 2013 14:52 #6
OK I am going to plan out marble blast spark COMPLETELY. I read more posts about mod making and I decided to plan out EVERYTHING this time. I will wait for the multiplayer idea. Now I am going to replan for this mod. So it will be at least 2 months before I start a thread for people to help me with this mod. So thank you for everything you told me and by for a little while!

-Hypersonic1300

• Elektrix
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
04 Mar 2013 23:11 #7
OK everyone who have replied to tbe marble blast spark um OK now I have planned out a little more to this mod. I have planned out the start screen and the skill levels and the first 2 levels. OK here is the skill levels: Normal Hard Veteran Master. Now here is the first 2 level ideas they are about. Level 1 you learn the rolling basics jumping basics and wall jump basics. The 2 level is about all the
power ups. In the beginning of level1 a deep man voice booms out of a pronouncer and says welcome blank

blank to marble blast spark

and etc. In level 2 a I would say flying marble follows you and leads you through level 2. The name for 1 is The Basics. The name for level 2 is The Advanced Basics. Now I know the name for level 3 but don't have the plans for how it go's. The name for level 3 is Noob Hell. It is really easy its just the mission is set in a
dark helly area. Oh the next thing for this game is that every level is like a mission. Every time you finish the level it says objective clear. The gold time is changed to the spark time. Anyway the goal to MBSK is to clear all the levels and beat the villain (no name yet).

• Elektrix
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
04 Mar 2013 23:19 #8
So if you have ideas for the third level mission please reply below!
Also does anyone know a good place for making textures for when I need it because that is what I will be involving with the first 10 levels and about 10 textures for my small mod pack. My mod pack will be out after I get torque help and a good texture making resource. So PLEASE reply below if you know how to make good textures or a place where me and my friend can make textures. Also PLEASE reply to give me torque help because I have NO IDEA how to use torque. Peace Out!

-Hypersonic1300

• Elektrix
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
04 Mar 2013 23:21 #9
So if you have ideas for the third level mission please reply below!
Also does anyone know a good place for making textures for when I need it because that is what I will be involving with the first 10 levels and about 10 textures for my small mod pack. My mod pack will be out after I get torque help and a good texture making resource. So PLEASE reply below if you know how to make good textures or a place where me and my friend can make textures. Also PLEASE reply to give me torque help because I have NO IDEA how to use torque. Peace Out!

-Hypersonic1300

• RandomGuy
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
  • I'm back, and still random
05 Mar 2013 00:16 #10
First off, most of the time, people just double post. But you have quadruple posted. I applaud you for apparently not noticing the Edit button on the post you just made. Also, why did you make the third post twice?

Secondly, the second level sounds extremely complicated. How do you plan to make a CPU marble without multiplayer codes (which I don't even think can do that). It would be much easier to just help text for directions. Will there be separate tabs for the different skill levels?

Thirdly, basics levels are kind of pointless now. If you really want to know how to do this and that, why haven't you played Gold, which you need to create and download mods. Any tutorial levels should outline new features of the game.

Fourth and finally, (I hope), here are good development programs. For textures, I would suggest Paint.net (not MS Paint). For skyboxes, Terragen or Terragen 2 depending on skill level and ambition. Level making programs are mainly Torque Constructor and QuArK constructor (Torque is easier). There is a board called Level Building and QuArK/Constructor if you need help.

Oops, forgot something . How do you plan to make the voice not only speak in the start of the level, when it should be saying its Ready, Set, Go sequence, but also speak the player's name. Will there be a login screen? How will you even be able to make it recognize the player's name? No offense meant, just some questions.

- Steven
Cuber, Musician, Science Olympian, QuizBowler Extraordinaire, and totally, you guessed it, random!

Instagram: theadhdsteven
Snapchat: theadhdsteven
Youtube Channel: RandomGuy

• Ian_Cordle
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • eSports Director
  • Thank you received: 10
05 Mar 2013 00:31 #11
I honestly applaud your enthusiasm, and I don't want to just input the same ideas and advice that everyone else has, but I do have another link that you may want to read to hopefully get you even more on the right track. It may seem boring, but if you want a successful mod, try to learn from those who have failed in the past. It's the best way to prevent failure in the future

marbleblast.com/index.cgi?board=blogiv&a...display&thread=11848

• Elektrix
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
05 Mar 2013 01:25 #12
Thanks Ian, I have always been a big fan of you

• Elektrix
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
05 Mar 2013 01:26 #13
Oh the third post got posted twice by accident

• Elektrix
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
05 Mar 2013 01:30 #14
Your right RandomGuy. Now remember its just planning. But I like your opinions. I will start really thinking about this mod more seriously. Now thanks for the texture help and etc. !
Peace Out!

-Hypersonic1300

05 Mar 2013 01:48 #15
You can't triple post either...
There's a Modify button on the upper-right button of each post...USE IT if you need to add something or fix a typo. >_>

Don't forget to read over the forum rules if you haven't yet: www.marbleblast.com/index.cgi?board=ga&a...=display&thread=4485

• Elektrix
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
05 Mar 2013 02:06 #16
Oh so sorry. . .

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
  • Thank you received: 912
05 Mar 2013 03:54 #17
Hey HyperSonic,

This is going to turn out as a giant wall of text, so apologies in advanced for this. I do have a lot to say. I know I'm going to be downright demotivating but I feel that you do not understand the situation that is mod making, but also to understand the Marble Blast engine and its possibilities and limitations.
Before all these, however, I'd like to ask you to format your posts better. Others did tell you about double/triple/quadruple posting, but I want to tell you about using more commas, better sentence structure and so on. Even though this is the internet and everyone can do whatever, it's still very good to see proper English, especially since this is a forum.

Onto the mod. Congratulations on wanting to do a mod for Marble Blast! This is a really hard task to do in today's standards, and as many have learned it is an achievement to complete one let alone having it done per the original intentions.
To create a successful mod you need a team of people that are knowledgeable in the field they are put in, are capable of having a lot of spare time and of course have plenty of time for this mod. Reasons are that level designers are best for levels but not music; people are also mainly at school, which eats up a lot of their time. Their spare time would then usually be directed at homework, friends, TV and games, which means they aren't going to work on the mod as much as you'd like them to. This means if you're looking on having a mod done under a year, you can already forget that.

This leads to another problem: dedication. Many people will not bother working on a mod for at least a year without good progress, them enjoying working on it and community backup. It's a lot of tasks and items to do and again time management is key. Likewise direction of the mod, as without a proper layout of it right at the beginning will not help.
I'll draw PlatinumQuest as an example. Plans of it started in later 2008 as Marble Blast Campaign, but I gave up quickly due to the sheer amount of work I'd have to do myself. However it rose again later in 2009 during chats to Aayrl. Having discussed these further it seemed like it might be a good idea; after talking to most of the Platinum Team we thought that perhaps we should implement it as an extension to MBP (calling it MBP 1.50).
When I then posted about it, I didn't write about it in a few sentences or 1-2 paragraphs, I actually laid it out fully in a post that is three and a half (3.5) times the size of this post at this very point (of 3 paragraphs).

So what did I lay out? Everything. From GUI design, to game modes, actual level design, how the mod will play out, number of levels and expected difficulty and so on. After the staff replied, I posted again with even more info and what we need to do. That post was as big as the first one if not larger. At this point, everyone who was on staff knew exactly what was going to be in PlatinumQuest, what we want and our direction.
Did we know exactly how levels will play out? nah. We didn't know we're going to have water 2 years later. We didn't know about Moving Objects, Cannons or anything at this point. We did know about the game modes because this was our original design. The reason cannons, moving objects and others came up was through discussions later on in development when we were wanting some new features and tested them. Not everything made the cut.
For example, AI is not very possible (and still isn't fathomable) because of the incredible difficulty creating one (and you can't tell someone just to make it, that's brutal), let alone proper implementation. As such anything to do with it was axed.
Once we had our new features, we found ways to implement them in current levels or create new levels revolving around them and/or containing them to some degree.
Mind you, our original intentions were to release by the end of 2010. We're at 2013 and without any knowledge of when will we finish . Marble Blast Fubar began even earlier than PlatinumQuest and is still in progress, though in a more advanced state, but is made largely by a single person. Perhaps this will give you an idea of how long a mod can take when people do not have much time and dedicate themselves for quality over quantity.

Onto the Marble Blast engine itself. I know you've seen things on YouTube. Scratch them out of your mind right now.
- Multiplayer takes an extremely long time to create, playtest and work out properly. HiGuy and Jeff are doing an amazing job on pulling through with it despite the numerous re-writes and problems they went through during its creation.
- Like I said, AI is next to impossible (or really is impossible) to work through.
- A Campaign type story is one that needs to be created and written about in lots of detail in a document months in advanced. Only then you can heavily edit it on the go.
- The Marble Blast engine poses many difficulties. It's no surprise that many hacks were done script-wise to do things otherwise not possible, or they crash and break a lot. We can't just throw an idea into the air and fully anticipate it to be possible. We have to know whether the engine is capable of doing so to begin with, and also what is hardcoded into the engine. For example, we long wanted to change the end of a level where the camera rotates around the marble on a specific height and speed. That's hardcoded. Can't change. Want to improve camera? Can't either.

Now I can go ahead and tell you that ideas like learn the basics is pretty much useless. We've played those in Marble Blast Gold, Platinum and the custom level Camp. Doing those all over again is annoying and a waste of time and effort that can otherwise be put into other levels. Not saying you cannot have any, but if you teach players these while also putting in the new features in the spotlight will actually help, not diminish.

I'm not going into level naming scheme as I'm pretty bad at those, but I do want to let you know to be very careful on level names. noob hell sounds rather childish and much like a custom level's name over a mod's level name. Noob also stands for newbie, so such level name already makes me think of a level that is very hard for a new player at Marble Blast (but not advanced+), but you then mention it's an easy mission in a dark/helly area. Again, you can make up a better level name than that based more on the level's contents than the scenery.

Another thing is... don't ask the community for ideas, especially not levels. They don't know what you know in your head. Your staff are the ones that create the levels based on the knowledge of what you wrote to them and the direction you are giving them. If you do not know how to use Torque, you're in for years of learning.

Lastly I can come up with many level ideas in a few minutes and outright tell you they all take too much effort/time to be worth it, are not possible to do at all, and I do not have the motivation to follow through with any of them. For me a level takes an extremely long time to make. Look at buzzmusic's levels for example; they take a long time too but he goes through all the thought processes properly as well as testing things out. He also looks at the big pictures and can see whether levels will work out at the end.
But you don't have to be Buzzmusic to make good levels. Look at Jkk39's latest level (CLICK HERE). It's very simple, can be created easily and will be played for a few minutes. But it's also fun and quick and that's what we like as well.

Now I'm going to say here what no one else is going to say bluntly:
Drop this mod. It's not going to work out.

It's the horrible and sad truth. At your age you should be busy with school and friends. If you want to create a mod for Marble Blast it's awesome, but you don't know anything. You're better off learning Constructor and making levels for the community (then get feedback, create better levels). You can make your mods levels yourself and using requested skyboxes and textures. So you release them one at a time every few weeks, so what? No one said it's the end of the world. If anything it gives you time to plan things out, grasp level design and above all: learn that things aren't easy. You'll be surprised you'll end up much better doing so instead of trying to throw a mod together.
During this time you could also learn programming, and afterward TorqueScript, and this will give you an idea of what monster you are up against. Will it demotivate you to the point of you not wanting to do the mod? Very likely. But Jeff and HiGuy pulled through and they're working on Multiplayer, which is a beast. So it's not impossible.

Before you reply to this post, I'd recommend you to think about it. Reply to it tomorrow. Think about it when you go to sleep, think whether you can really do this in a few months time, and whether you will achieve it.

And remember this: no one will dislike you you for not following through with this mod. We will be more happy with custom levels, videos of Marble Blast and you being active around the forums. Posting in shoutbox, playing in Hangman, playing people's levels and posting good times and comments on those, laugh and chat. You don't have to do a mod to be a recognizable member of this community. Just be active and we will appreciate this far more than you can imagine

"matan, now i get what you meant a few years back when you said that "the level in mbg is beyond me" after the last rampage i noticed things were insane, and now i truly feel that too" - Dushine, 2015.

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
  • PlatinumQuest Programmer
  • Thank you received: 205
05 Mar 2013 04:01 #18
Quote:- Multiplayer takes an extremely long time to create, playtest and work out properly. HiGuy and Jeff are doing an amazing job on pulling through with it despite the numerous re-writes and problems they went through during its creation.

To be honest, this is for everybody's knowledge:

Folks, multiplayer is taking forever because it is a pain in the <censored word> <censored word>.
We are on the 7th rewrite. NOT THE FIRST FOLKS, THE 7TH. After MONTHS of coding this, we totally dropped our code and rewrote it....6 times.

^That is what you call dedication people.

Not directed towards anybody, just saying why its taking so <censored word> long.

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.

• Ian_Cordle
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • eSports Director
05 Mar 2013 06:47 #19
For a new member of the forums who may not have used a forum before we are possibly throwing a lot at you, but I'm confident you can handle everyone's criticisms, they are all to help you out

• Elektrix
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
06 Mar 2013 01:35 #20
After reading EVERYTHING I'm just going to hold off MBSK until the I decide to do anything with it. Meanwhile, I will be doing record times, small torque levels, textures, etc. I think just doing this stuff for fun with make me more confident about making this mod. Peace Out!

-Hypersonic1300

• Thank you received: 2
07 Mar 2013 06:11 #21
Glad to hear your response.

Learning to make levels, textures, and improving MB skills is all a huge part in actually making a good mod. I think you'll find it fun once you get the hang of it, and keep in mind there are plenty of tutorials on this forum as well as people you can learn from.

• Ian_Cordle
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • eSports Director
07 Mar 2013 06:31 #22
Great idea!

• Elektrix
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
07 Mar 2013 16:10 #23
Thanks, because once I am good at these things I'll probably restart a new thread on this

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
  • Thank you received: 912
07 Mar 2013 16:40 #24
No need to make a new thread. Keep it all in one.

"matan, now i get what you meant a few years back when you said that "the level in mbg is beyond me" after the last rampage i noticed things were insane, and now i truly feel that too" - Dushine, 2015.

• Elektrix
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
07 Mar 2013 19:40 #25
OK

• Thank you received: 43
12 Jul 2013 06:35 #26
Woah. You just quad posted. The highest ive seen on this forum was a double post. Next time use the edit button

Hyper, maybe i can help you with MBSK? I dunno, maybe. im already working on a mod, i maybe have room for one more.

12 Jul 2013 07:56 #27
Hypersonic hasn't been around for months, and you bumped a months-old topic, which we tend to frown upon here. Read the forum rules if you haven't already.

Locked.

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 1.162 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.