Before posting, please read the rules pertaining to verification of times.

file (PLCHLDR) Marble Blast Gold - World Record Rampage #5 (SDA Update 4)

• Xedron
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Level Speedrunner
More
26 Mar 2018 11:52 #181 by Xedron
More subs and good times (and on .rec holy shit)

Spork in the road 10.989

Tri Twist 21.138

Marble Playground 28.567

All March 25th

"cna you salt spalt the slevel salt of 6 year salt who ca salt the lsat" - nobody, 2017
The following user(s) said Thank You: hPerks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2018 14:07 - 26 Mar 2018 14:09 #182 by Nature Freak

Eguy wrote:
it would be more convenient to have the option of recording some things ourselves.

There is no reason at all that you wouldn't want to use .recs. They are just so much more convenient—small file size, playable at any resolution, recording with any marble skin, and if your sound settings are wrong Matan knows the right ones—he'll record everything for you, all you have to do is send in a few tiny files and you don't have to do any more work! Many people also don't have the capability to record at 1920 x 1080 with 60 FPS, leading to resolution and marble skin inconsistencies (like those few Xelna runs in MBG WRR 4, of which only Daedalus remains). As for Mac versus Windows, I have followed the instructions of making .recs since June 2015 on a Mac and I have never had an issue with them, they always play back fine and it's certainly much less work than direct screen recording, as well as not taking up large amounts of space on my hard drive. I will continue to use .recs and .rrecs whenever I can as they are incredibly more convenient than screen recording. Also it would be lovely to be able to download the whole rampage as .rec files like you could with MBG WRR 2 and 3 so that you could see the runs directly on your own computer.

Apologies if this post came out a bit sour sounding but I felt it had to be said.
Last edit: 26 Mar 2018 14:09 by Nature Freak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CylinderKnot

More
26 Mar 2018 16:17 #183 by Nockess

Nature Freak wrote:

Eguy wrote:
it would be more convenient to have the option of recording some things ourselves.

There is no reason at all that you wouldn't want to use .recs. They are just so much more convenient—small file size, playable at any resolution, recording with any marble skin, and if your sound settings are wrong Matan knows the right ones—he'll record everything for you, all you have to do is send in a few tiny files and you don't have to do any more work! Many people also don't have the capability to record at 1920 x 1080 with 60 FPS, leading to resolution and marble skin inconsistencies (like those few Xelna runs in MBG WRR 4, of which only Daedalus remains). As for Mac versus Windows, I have followed the instructions of making .recs since June 2015 on a Mac and I have never had an issue with them, they always play back fine and it's certainly much less work than direct screen recording, as well as not taking up large amounts of space on my hard drive. I will continue to use .recs and .rrecs whenever I can as they are incredibly more convenient than screen recording. Also it would be lovely to be able to download the whole rampage as .rec files like you could with MBG WRR 2 and 3 so that you could see the runs directly on your own computer.

Apologies if this post came out a bit sour sounding but I felt it had to be said.

I do agree that being able to play a .rec at any resolution and with any marble skin is convenient. However things like .rec files being super small in terms of file size isn't necessary at all to some people (I know that a lot of people don't have 2 TB of space but recording files aren't THAT big), and there are easy ways to get around having the wrong sound settings (although in a worst-case scenario, it would suck for Matan... big time).

My main issue though is no matter how consistent .recs are, manual recordings will always be the most consistent and there won't be as many possible issues. My .rec for Money Tree kept crashing in different places when I played it a couple dozen times. My Battlements .rec is just a nightmare to begin with. You've even had issues yourself with your own .recs where it messes up in places when there's no reason for it to. (Mainly looking at Scaffold here.)

I think in a perfect world, we'd be able to use the .rrec system from PQ for MBG, but if we're just going with what we have now, I'm fine with using .recs as long as manual recordings can be used as a last-source backup.

First player ever to get all of the Awesome Times.
The following user(s) said Thank You: eNetro

• hPerks
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • getting the joj done
More
27 Mar 2018 16:03 #184 by hPerks
Of course there are reasons not to use recs; claiming otherwise is just dishonest. The rec system is certainly not perfect, and the fact that the developers felt the need to create an entirely new recording system from scratch to replace it should tell you a lot. I've certainly had my fair share of issues with them, both in MBG on my old 2007 iMac, and even when I got my new computer in 2016 and experienced severe lagspikes recording rec playback in MBP, which led to me completely abandoning recs from that point onward.

Even little things, like having to reload the level between retries instead of simply pressing R, can be an inconvenience, especially if you have a slow computer. When I was grinding Upward Spiral in September 2016, my game would crash every 10 minutes or so because of all the unloading and reloading I was doing. Several other players have reported similar problems. Just because it works fine on your computer doesn't mean the same is true for everyone else.

And of course the biggest issue is desynchronization, which believe it or not still happens and is still a problem. I've experienced it on MBG levels such as Scaffold, Fan Lift, and Battlements, as have others. I personally hope that Matan will come to his senses and accept Rosie's Battlements run, for example, and record it as close as possible to her original time, or at least let her do the same at a proper resolution and framerate.

But the solution I would prefer most, as I've said before, is to finally abandon MBG in favour of PQ's rrec system. Revert the marble size for MBG, revert all the level changes, and let's move forward and take advantage of all the great work the developers have done setting up the new leaderboards and rrec systems.

MBG is a great game, but in certain respects, it's pretty sloppily cobbled together on a crappy old game engine. Striving for "perfection" at the expense of these very real issues isn't always going to be possible. If the runs are great, that should be what's important.

"it's funny how the super monkey ball game without monkeys is the one that attracts more furries" - eblu 2018

Watch my videos here! - NEW: av'is levels: the movie!
Download my levels here! - NEW: Specific Gravity
Listen to my music here! - NEW: Memory Lane

• Kalle29
  • I blame ping for losing
More
27 Mar 2018 16:32 #185 by Kalle29
No, stick to MBG. It's best to just use the vanilla game instead of mods.

First of all, .rrecs/.avi are easier to cheat than .recs. This is important to catch cheating (including unintentional cheating) since the game is trivially easy to cheat.

Secondly, don't change the rules of the game after it has started. It was unfortunate that MBP got small changes but that's what happened, so the most fair thing is for everyone to use the real game.

One could argue about certain levels and people in terms of where direct video is more appropriate to use. But on the whole .rec is the way to go.

Regarding Rosie's Battlements, it's certainly a strange case since apparently she got an angle that no one else has managed to get ever and the .rec gives "regular" angles you would expect from that gate trap.

༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽ You have been visited by the Nivea™ Donger of moisture. Soft skin and good fortune will come to you, but only if you post "thank you Mr. Skeltal" in this thread ༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽

• hPerks
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • getting the joj done
More
27 Mar 2018 16:44 #186 by hPerks
I'm not aware of how any of these systems could be cheated, so I'll take your word for it on recs being more trustworthy. I'd still say that the prevalence of cheating here is so low, and the community so small, that I'd consider it much less of a problem than the ones I talked about, which affect most of us here far more often. We have to strike a balance, of course - no one is demanding that people use recs for MBP, for example, because the issues I talked about are magnified there, and significantly outweigh any cheating issues with rrecs.

I'd also question how much this would really be "changing the rules". If we revert all the trivial changes to the MBG levels, then there would be no advantage to playing on PQ versus MBG, or vice versa. It's really just a modified interface to the MBG levels in their original form.

A hypothetical question - suppose we implemented the rrec system onto vanilla MBG, rather than PQ. Yes, it wouldn't be vanilla MBG anymore, but would it change whether or not those rrecs should be accepted?

"it's funny how the super monkey ball game without monkeys is the one that attracts more furries" - eblu 2018

• Kalle29
More
27 Mar 2018 17:11 #187 by Kalle29
They would certainly be more acceptable than a PQ run pf the same level.

༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽ You have been visited by the Nivea™ Donger of moisture. Soft skin and good fortune will come to you, but only if you post "thank you Mr. Skeltal" in this thread ༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽

• hPerks
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • getting the joj done
More
27 Mar 2018 17:24 #188 by hPerks
Makes sense - the cheating issue would still be there, but not the PQ/MBG issue.

I suppose it depends on our overall goal for these rampages. For me, and I think for many others, the rampages serve as great milestones for the community, and a nice look back through history. When a WRR is in progress, it's a huge stimulus to the speedrunning aspect of the game, and it increases HYPE and gives everyone in the community something super exciting to look forward to. And when a WRR is released, it's great fun to watch, over and over again, marveling at everyone's runs and taking pride in your own runs being featured on the biggest stage in MB.

These, to me, are the reasons that WRRs are such a special part of this community, and none of these would change if we were able to move from MBG to PQ. In fact, I'm pretty sure that in the absence of constantly fussing about rec problems, the grinding would be even more fun, and the hype would increase.

If we're dogmatic about sticking to vanilla MBG because of strict principles, without really thinking about why or whether those principles are important, I think we lose sight of the big picture of what makes WRRs special.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Eguy, Nockess, CylinderKnot

• Kalle29
More
27 Mar 2018 17:36 #189 by Kalle29
Completely irrelevant to the issue at hand.

And you're being extremely naïve here. None of us know the inner workings of MBG and to think that the rest of the game will go completely unaffected when things are tampered with is, like I said, naïve. There are real examples of inexplicable WRs coming from edited versions of games that are never tied in the vanilla version.

• hPerks
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • getting the joj done
More
27 Mar 2018 17:46 #190 by hPerks
First of all, it's not completely irrelevant; the question of our overall goal for the rampage is precisely the question we need to ask in order to make decisions, like this one, about how to conduct the rampage.

If our goal is simply to get the rampage on SDA, then sure, we'd need to use vanilla MBG. But I'm pretty sure that's not even in the top 10 list of our collective goals for the rampage, and barring that, there's nothing on that list I can think of that would be hindered if we allowed runs from PQ.

Why are we banning the screenshot glitch? The screenshot glitch is present in vanilla MBG, and SDA had no problems accepting it. Could it be, perhaps only partially, because it made levels a pain to grind for, and runs a pain to watch, and that we used our discretion to "change the rules" of the rampage to fix these problems?

• Kalle29
More
27 Mar 2018 18:10 #191 by Kalle29
You just completely ignored my main point there. I don't care about SDA or their ruleset - it's about the integrity of the WRR, which is being compromised if you don't play on the vanilla game.

• hPerks
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • getting the joj done
More
27 Mar 2018 18:24 #192 by hPerks
Your main point, as far as I can tell, is that we should stick to the vanilla game and not change the rules of the rampage. However, you seem to be open to both modifying the vanilla game to support rrecs, and changing the rules of the rampage to ban screenshot glitches. A less charitable interpreter of your argument might call this a double standard, but I'm instead trying to get at what reasons you have for your general inclination against change, while nevertheless permitting change in these specific instances.

What goals do you have for the rampage, if not those that I talked about earlier? You've mentioned that you don't want people cheating with rrecs, but again I didn't focus on that because you said that MBG rrecs would be more acceptable. What other reasons are there to stick to vanilla?

• Kalle29
More
27 Mar 2018 18:32 #193 by Kalle29
> However, you seem to be open to both modifying the vanilla game to support rrecs

No I am not and I never said I were.

>changing the rules of the rampage to ban screenshot glitches

this is not an issue since it's still in the proper game.

Once again you have completely missed my point. I very clearly stated "you're being extremely naïve here. None of us know the inner workings of MBG and to think that the rest of the game will go completely unaffected when things are tampered with is, like I said, naïve. There are real examples of inexplicable WRs coming from edited versions of games that are never tied in the vanilla version."

this is my main point. You're advocation a huge change without even thinking about the possible bad side effects. This is extremely compromising to the integrity of the WRR.

And a "less charitable interpreter of your argument" might call this whining from not wanting to go through the tiny extra effort of getting .recs.

>but again I didn't focus on that because you said that MBG rrecs would be more acceptable

yes I said _more_ acceptable, not acceptable though. The vanilla game should remain unchanged to protect the integrity of the runs.

• hPerks
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • getting the joj done
More
27 Mar 2018 18:51 - 27 Mar 2018 19:02 #194 by hPerks
My apologies for misinterpreting your position on rrecs in MBG. When I asked "would it change whether or not those rrecs should be accepted?" I thought your positive response signified a "yes".

To your point about side effects - this will probably get a bit too in-depth for this forum thread. I'll drop it here for now, and probably follow up later on Discord. I'm not married to the idea of allowing rrecs from PQ, but I definitely prefer it at the moment, and it seems like a few others do as well. Hopefully we can all flesh out the issue some more and come to an agreement.

And a "less charitable interpreter of your argument" might call this whining from not wanting to go through the tiny extra effort of getting .recs.

Haha, I did sound like an asshole there, now that you put it like that. Sorry about that.

Last edit: 27 Mar 2018 19:02 by hPerks. Reason: conjugation how does it work

• hPerks
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • getting the joj done
More
29 Mar 2018 01:02 - 31 Mar 2018 01:22 #195 by hPerks
Moto-Marblecross (1.973s) - 2018 March 29
Airwalk (12.445s) - 2018 March 29
Will o' Wisp (10.466s) - 2018 March 30

All new paths.

Last edit: 31 Mar 2018 01:22 by hPerks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kalle29, RadiantVibe, Regislian, Hitgod, Nature Freak

• MBCollector672
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
  • click the sergals
More
01 Apr 2018 00:02 #196 by MBCollector672
Points of the Compass (6.720s) - 3/31/2018

dumb furry who plays ball rolling games, gun shooting games, and plumber jumping games
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nature Freak, hPerks, DKman00

• Xedron
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Level Speedrunner
More
01 Apr 2018 04:06 #197 by Xedron
A lot of "new" times because im very lazy and posting these is apparently work for me

Skate Park 19.438 - March 21st*
Tri Twist 20.724 - March 30th
Marble Playground 28.420 - March 26th
Spork in the Road 10.808 - March 26th
Block Party 20.120 - March 9th*

* means still need to improve on .rec but have a recording of.

"cna you salt spalt the slevel salt of 6 year salt who ca salt the lsat" - nobody, 2017
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nature Freak, hPerks

• hPerks
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • getting the joj done
More
01 Apr 2018 23:26 #198 by hPerks
Monster Speedway (7.304s) - 2018 April 1 (no bamboozle)

Another new path. I've had some very close sub-7 misses, so I'll definitely be going for that.

More
02 Apr 2018 02:45 #199 by Nockess
18.577 Three-Fold Maze on Threefolder day.

• hPerks
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • getting the joj done
More
02 Apr 2018 23:56 #200 by hPerks
6.755 Monster Speedway on Kalle's birthday.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Xedron

• Xedron
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Level Speedrunner
More
03 Apr 2018 01:32 #201 by Xedron
To the Moon 2.685 - April 2nd

The following user(s) said Thank You: hPerks

• hPerks
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • getting the joj done
More
04 Apr 2018 04:07 #202 by hPerks
Around the World in 30 Seconds (9.270s) - 2018 April 4

tfw 0.05 seconds improvement but +1 post count
like rt and hmu on patreon

The following user(s) said Thank You: Xedron

• Xedron
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Level Speedrunner
More
05 Apr 2018 04:00 #203 by Xedron
Ordeal 7.924 - April 4th

• Xedron
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Level Speedrunner
More
07 Apr 2018 01:23 #204 by Xedron
Such an honor to double post on a wrr thread

Block Party 19.533 - April 6th

More
07 Apr 2018 02:44 #205 by Nockess
14.252 on MSQ

The following user(s) said Thank You: Eguy

• Eguy
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • Booper Supreme
More
08 Apr 2018 06:11 #206 by Eguy
Siege 14.825 - April 7th 2018

"it's the internet eguy. where children are men. men are monkeys, and women are PQ."
-Jeff 2014
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nature Freak, hPerks

• hPerks
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • getting the joj done
More
14 Apr 2018 04:11 #207 by hPerks
Ramps Reloaded (12.546s) - 2018 April 14

New p-p-p-path #5

Moderators: Kalle29AayrlRegislian