Before posting, please read the rules pertaining to verification of times.

file Marble Blast Gold Single Segment Records (RTA)

• Xelna
  • Xelna's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • Thank you received: 52
28 Dec 2015 10:29 - 28 Dec 2015 10:31 #1
I'm sure I wasn't the first to think about this, but basically, I made this thread to let you know that this website exists...

www.speedrun.com/mbg

...and that if you would like to try it yourself, then don't, it's not worth it!

Joke. What...? Too soon? Nah but seriously, it'd be cool if people started to do RTA of Marble Blast Gold, since you have to play and think the game completely differently, and it increases the replayability value. At the moment, I'm working on getting a time for each category: beginner, intermediate, advanced & Any% (all 100 levels). If you're interested to try it yourself, make sure to read the rules first, but most of all, have fun!

Btw, feel free to post your times in this thread... for bragging rights. Go hit that Rigel with some competition!
Last edit: 28 Dec 2015 10:31 by Xelna.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NF

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kalle29
  • I blame ping for losing
  • Thank you received: 754
28 Dec 2015 13:15 - 28 Dec 2015 13:18 #2
I recently spoke to Rigel about making a thread like this. One of the main issues with this atm is that the any% record is a SC in MBP, and beginner/intermediate are in vanilla. I propose that we have some sort of vote on what to use, because a SC is an advantage over a vanilla run.

༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽ You have been visited by the Nivea™ Donger of moisture. Soft skin and good fortune will come to you, but only if you post "thank you Mr. Skeltal" in this thread ༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽
Last edit: 28 Dec 2015 13:18 by Kalle29.

• Thank you received: 405
28 Dec 2015 15:15 #3
This looks really cool!
Do I have to make an account to participate or could I simply post my times in this thread without registering on speedrun.com, just for fun?

• Xelna
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
29 Dec 2015 11:43 - 29 Dec 2015 11:43 #4

Xanta29 wrote: I recently spoke to Rigel about making a thread like this. One of the main issues with this atm is that the any% record is a SC in MBP, and beginner/intermediate are in vanilla. I propose that we have some sort of vote on what to use, because a SC is an advantage over a vanilla run.

Fixed that. I did a 100 Levels speedrun in 42:50 on the original (vanilla) Marble Blast Gold.
I vote for original (vanilla), the extra menuing isn't that bad at all, since you can press Enter after each level to cancel the end screen, then left click on Play immediately after (your mouse cursor should already be on top of it).

NatureFreak wrote: This looks really cool!
Do I have to make an account to participate or could I simply post my times in this thread without registering on speedrun.com, just for fun?

I mean, you could post your times here, but it would be even better if you'd post your times on speedrun.com/mbg since right now, the Leaderboards look pretty empty. I also don't see any inconvenient whatsoever about making an account on that site ;)
Last edit: 29 Dec 2015 11:43 by Xelna.

29 Dec 2015 15:59 - 29 Dec 2015 16:00 #5
Okay, I have another question: Will hundredths places be included for clarity? If I got 5m 29s on MBG beginner (which I wouldn't) and tied with Rigel and Rigel got, say, 5:29.09 and I got 5:29.52 or something, would that be factored in or would we just tie?

Also, I don't have a program that records the exact time like Rigel did in his video of 5:29, but could I just use a different stopwatch (not on my computer) to record my time?
Last edit: 29 Dec 2015 16:00 by NF. Reason: Added the second question.

• Thank you received: 20
29 Dec 2015 16:20 #6
I was pushing this already half a year ago, but my interest died out cause of the lack of competition at the time. Pretty sure there was a push for this once before aswell with Nihahhat. Might pick this back up again though, but you've set some times that will be incredibly hard to beat. Who goes for GF WR path in a RTA run :S ? Might have to push for the GD trap in intermediate. Will have to practice quite a bit of Advanced to even get anywhere close to your time aswell, hopefully there will be other times to reach for in the meantime.

Also another thing I remember talking to Niha about when I was doing this is whether or not preset prefs.cs files should be allowed or not. I personally prefer it being allowed (for convenience) so we can skip the "Okay" after every level because of setting a record. My game also has a tendency to freeze if I click out of this too fast which was a real pain to deal with. But I know an argument can be made for the opposite.

• Kalle29
29 Dec 2015 17:42 - 31 Dec 2015 09:29 #7
A ruleset is needed

- We use MBG vanilla for MBG runs
- MBP singleplayer for MBU/MBP runs
- Timer starts when you press play on the first level
- Timer ends when the ingame timer stops on the last level
- Final time is in whole seconds, decimals are rounded
- Previous times on the computer to prevent local top times is allowed
- Video proof needed
- Levels are played as their ingame order is
- Normal menuing; i.e. if you already have times, after beating bginner, you will need to click your way from Intermediate 24 to 1, and then play from there (doesn't apply if you run only one difficulty)
- Has to beat the qualify time

Does this seem fine to the rest of you? IMO it would be good if we agreed on the rules so we all have the same conditions.

@NF, to answer your question, this ("decimals are rounded") is standard in the speedrunning community for runs of this length. For very long runs, several hours long, the decimals are usually simply ignored. But if we follow the standard way, Rigel would win in the scenario you set up.

༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽ You have been visited by the Nivea™ Donger of moisture. Soft skin and good fortune will come to you, but only if you post "thank you Mr. Skeltal" in this thread ༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽
Last edit: 31 Dec 2015 09:29 by Kalle29. Reason: qualify time

29 Dec 2015 18:28 #8
Okay, thanks for clarifying that. I have zero experience in speedrunning.

• Xelna
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
29 Dec 2015 19:23 - 29 Dec 2015 19:38 #9
There is an option on speedrun.com to add times up to the milliseconds, in which case you wouldn't be tied if both you and Rigel got 5:29's. Unless both of your runs are exactly say 5:29.02 lol

Xanta29 wrote: - Video proof needed
- Normal menuing; i.e. if you already have times, after beating bginner, you will need to click your way from Intermediate 24 to 1, and then play from there (doesn't apply if you run only one difficulty)

imo, video proof isn't needed, but if the time/run/runner looks suspicious, then yeah we may ask for video proof and failure to provide proof will result in deletion of the time, as simple as that.

And just for convenience, I think it'd be better if we'd start at lvl 1 of each difficulty, less useless menuing that way.
Last edit: 29 Dec 2015 19:38 by Xelna.

• J@ckRB
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • *some self-degrading humour*
  • Thank you received: 164
29 Dec 2015 20:38 #10
I will most likely try this out (and stream if anyone is interested in seeing me fail) at some point to get a decent time, at least make the leaderboards more populated.

"funny quote" - funny person 2016 part 2 electric boogaloo

• Xelna
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
29 Dec 2015 21:08 #11
Nice to hear that Jack, lookin' forward to your runs :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: J@ckRB

• Thank you received: 156
30 Dec 2015 21:36 #12
I made a "standard" prefs.cs file with all the high scores set to 0 and the qualified levels set to 1. This can be used to minimize menu time.

Before beginning a speedrun, replace your current prefs.cs file (but keep it handy if you care about your records!) in marble/client with this one. You will, however, need to adjust the graphics settings to your preferences. You should leave it on your desktop or something so you can replace it every time you start a new speedrun.

Download: drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw7Pu2RXlMbxN3h...YjQ/view?usp=sharing

• Xelna
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
04 Jan 2016 19:02 - 04 Jan 2016 19:07 #13
I might as well post my times here, maybe it'll spark interest:

Beginner ::: 5:21 @ www.speedrun.com/run/pm37896z
Intermediate ::: 9:35 @ www.speedrun.com/run/7ylr2nry
Advanced ::: 25:01 @ www.speedrun.com/run/pydepgjm (Can go ~ 23:4x without any traplaunches)
100 Levels ::: 42:20 @ www.speedrun.com/run/6yj57lnm (Can go ~ 39:5x no traplaunches, I lost 40 secs right at the end lmao)

All runs were done on the original Marble Blast Gold, and for the 100 Levels run, I set the Qualification code thing to 1 so no useless menus from level 24 to 1 on Intermediate & Advanced.

If you'd like to try this, I wish you good luck & it's really fun.
Last edit: 04 Jan 2016 19:07 by Xelna.

• Kalle29
04 Jan 2016 19:09 #14
I did 3+ hours of beginner today for the PParty skip, but no good run so far... that edge hit gets 100 times harder when in a run it seems :/

• RDs.The-dts-guy
  • Developer
  • Developer
  • Blender pls
  • Thank you received: 188
05 Jan 2016 11:42 - 05 Jan 2016 11:43 #15
Good to see you reviving this category Pascal, thought RTA was dead at one point ever since we did this in MBP. :)
Now all we need is someone to pull off some impossible tramplaunches and win category by huge margin B)
Cant offer any huge competition myself but Im still interested redoing all categories myself.

Some guy that does DTS shapes and levels.

AWESOME time HINT : When making PQ level place your custom interiors and textures in platinum/data/interiors_pq/custom
makes life easier for you and everyone else :)
Last edit: 05 Jan 2016 11:43 by RDs.The-dts-guy.

• Kalle29
05 Jan 2016 18:17 #16
MBG beginner 5:07, including PParty edge hit, not fully optimal, but good enough

05 Jan 2016 19:50 #17
Well done.
Do you have a video though?

• Kalle29
05 Jan 2016 21:06 - 05 Jan 2016 21:07 #18
videos can be found on www.speedrun.com/mbg , there is a video link to the right of the time

Last edit: 05 Jan 2016 21:07 by Kalle29. Reason: typo

• Xelna
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
05 Jan 2016 21:50 #19
You can just click on the time itself and the video will pop up.

Beginner 5:00.1 (lol) @ www.speedrun.com/run/6yjx4koz

• Kalle29
28 Jan 2016 16:45 - 28 Jan 2016 16:45 #20
Well if you want to see a good start to a run, go watch my Intermediate run. All things considered it was a terrible run - OBS kills my fps so hard I'm not gonna run this category anymore. Any future runs that I care about (probably MBP/MBG full game runs) will be recorded with bandicam, because this isn't playable with OBS. I don't know why it is like this, I got no lag when streaming full MBP runs a year ago. Might have been an update that ruined it.

Last edit: 28 Jan 2016 16:45 by Kalle29.

• Xelna
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
25 Jul 2016 03:12 - 26 Jul 2016 23:32 #21
Update:

Advanced levels in 24:13
Video: www.speedrun.com/run/8m730q4y

100 levels in 39:55
Video: www.speedrun.com/run/0y6qqo0z
Last edit: 26 Jul 2016 23:32 by Xelna.

• Xelna
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
01 Aug 2016 16:50 #22
Beginner levels in 4:59
Video: www.speedrun.com/run/pm3kweqy

Advanced levels in 23:14
Video: www.speedrun.com/run/8y8ko95y

100 levels in 38:50
Video: www.speedrun.com/run/8m73le5y
The following user(s) said Thank You: NF

• Xelna
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
02 Aug 2016 00:51 - 02 Aug 2016 02:25 #23
Interesting tweaks on some of the levels that I might steal from you :P

- Jump pattern on Platform Party at the end
- Tri Twist wall hit on 1st floor
- The Super Jump at the end of Upward Spiral
- Jump pattern at the start of A-Maze-Ing
- Mudslide jumping over the wall
- Ordeal Super Speed to the finish

Awesome path on Marble Playground

Also, you should use the pref.cs file that Nihahhat made to avoid having to enter your name when you get a top 3 time.

When the end screen pops up after each level, just press ''Enter'' to advance, then left mouse click immediately after (the cursor is already on the ''Play'' button). Since this is Real Time, you want to limit the time spent between levels as much as possible and that method is probably the fastest.

But yeah, good job on the run :)

*** I'm just throwing this out there, but if you guys want, we could have a weekly SpeedRunsLive (SRL) race of MBG, during the week end or w/e. That'd be pretty cool.
Last edit: 02 Aug 2016 02:25 by Xelna.

• HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
02 Aug 2016 07:18 - 02 Aug 2016 07:34 #24
I made a small MBG mod a while ago that displays your elapsed in game time, as well as total real time when you start each level. It also gives a summary at the end. Currently it doesn't actually change any of the buttons that you have to press for MBG to work, but I can also make it load the next level if that's allowed / desired.
Anyway, would that be allowed for the RTA runs / should I post that here?

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }
Last edit: 02 Aug 2016 07:34 by HiGuy. Reason: Summary img

• Thank you received: 198
02 Aug 2016 08:48 - 02 Aug 2016 08:48 #25
Yes please! I really want to have a go on this speedrun thing. On a sidenote, I don't know of it's allowed..

lee is awesome
Last edit: 02 Aug 2016 08:48 by Lee.

• Xelna
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
02 Aug 2016 14:07 #26
Unfortunately, it wouldn't be allowed since it's a modification of the original MBG. Manually switching between levels and difficulties is also part of the run. But if you want to post it here, go ahead. People can try it out and run on it if they want. It just wouldn't be accepted on speedrun.com.

• HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
02 Aug 2016 16:05 #27
Ah, that's what I expected. It doesn't change any of the actual gameplay, just a little bit of UI, but I can see the logic behind not allowing any mods. If want to try it regardless, add this to the bottom of main.cs: pastebin.com/6ZnJicRE

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }

• Thank you received: 156
02 Aug 2016 18:29 - 02 Aug 2016 18:32 #28
Hot damn @ Xelna's times. Looks like I need to update some of my strats.

Currently I split my timer at every level, which is pretty inaccurate. I think an auto-splitter that works with LiveSplit would be amazing. Unfortunately, I haven't a clue how to go about developing that.

I would be so down with weekly SRL races given that I can get streaming to work with minimal lag (streaming is required for PC games).
Last edit: 02 Aug 2016 18:32 by Marson.

• Xelna
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
02 Aug 2016 20:23 - 02 Aug 2016 20:24 #29
Splitting on every level while playing is pretty hard yeah, unless you have a foot pedal. And I have no idea how auto-splits would work either :(. You could just use a regular timer, or split after certain levels only.

like...

Beginner Level 24 - Grand Finale
Intermediate Level 12 - Marble Playground
Intermediate Level 24 - Upward Spiral
Advanced Level 10 - Tube Treasure
Advanced Level 20 - To the Moon
Advanced Level 30 - Free Fall
Advanced Level 40 - Ordeal
Advanced Level 45 - Tightrope
Advanced Level 52 - King of the Mountain

Those splits are divided somewhat evenly.

And yup, weekly races would be great. Idk what causes lag for you when you stream. What's your upload speed, bitrate?
You could try streaming at 1200 kb/s at 30 fps, 1024x768 resolution, just a suggestion.
Last edit: 02 Aug 2016 20:24 by Xelna.

03 Aug 2016 02:31 #30
If I can't exactly stream (OBS for Mac is awful and I can't really figure it out and anyway I don't have Twitch), would my times still be accepted if I did a screen recording and could I still participate in weekly races?

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 1.139 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.