SUPPORT BOARD OVERVIEW & TIPS:

About Receiving Help from the Support Board: While all members may answer questions posted in the Support board, you should only rely on responses posted or confirmed by support moderators and website administrators. Any solutions provided by members of the community that are not verified by a staff member (as indicated by a light-green background) are provided as-is, and we cannot take responsibility for any of the results of said actions.

About Responding to Support Threads: If you feel you know the answer to a question, you are welcome to respond to the thread and politely offer assistance. Please be courteous and try to provide detailed and helpful solutions to users who may not be as advanced as you. We ask that you refrain from posting one-sentence solutions.

Please search for existing topics before creating one! It's quite likely someone else has already encountered a similar issue which was resolved. You can search for existing support threads by clicking here .

About Topic Tags:

* Topics denoted with the [OPEN] tag are awaiting a response from the end user. You are welcome to post in these threads if you are experiencing a similar issue so we may provide further support.

* Topics denoted with the [RESOLVED] title have been successfully answered and confirmed by a support moderator and the end user, and should be used as a reference. These topics are locked.

* Topics denoted with the [CLOSED] tag were either inactive for more than 30 days or the end user did not respond to a suggestion and confirm if the issue was resolved. These topics are locked.

lock [CLOSED] Server is broken I guess...

• Lee
  • Lee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • huehuehue
  • Thank you received: 198
28 Nov 2014 23:33 - 28 Nov 2014 23:34 #1
I dont know I should post here, but Ill just say it anyway.
Server status said the server is down, but the people are still in the leaderboards said nothing happened, they can still chat, play some games and other stuffs. Wait, am I the only one who have this kind of situation?

lee is awesome
Last edit: 28 Nov 2014 23:34 by Lee.
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 123
29 Nov 2014 00:14 #2
Might be an internet quality issue.

Here, try www.speedtest.net and www.pingtest.net and post the links for the results here.
  • Lee
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • huehuehue
29 Nov 2014 00:50 #3

lee is awesome
29 Nov 2014 17:19 - 29 Nov 2014 17:19 #4
The quality and speed seems good. The only thing I could consider significant is the ISP rating, though people tend to be critical about these things. Perhaps your ISP may be intermittently cutting out? It's possible.

It could also be the fact that you're not exactly closeto the leaderboard server. The webserver is located in the US West Coast (as of now), with Higuy's Dedicated server located in the New England (northeast) area of the United States.

Also, are you trying to log into the game or webchat during this time? Or are you simply judging from the server status icons? Since the server status is tested from your machine, the status can and will display as "offline" until it gets a ping back from the server. This is merely (a long) delay time. If you can, try logging into webchat at that time. If your browser says you are "disconnected", then there is a connectivity issue from either you, or possibly the leaderboards server.

If you are logged into webchat and notice that everything seems at a standstill, try entering /ping . If you get an immediate reply with (currently) your username by the Server, then everything is working smoothly.

Another thing. Has the status ever said it was UP? If not, then there's also the possibility of a firewall blocking the connection, as it uses port 28000+, and your computer, router, or ISP may be blocking network connections on said ports.

Finally, have you tried using a different web browser? It could just be that the browser is at fault. Have you tried Google Chrome or Firefox, without extensions?

That said...
-- Try entering webchat and typing /ping
-- Try waiting for the server status to turn green.
-- Try using a different browser, and then try using it without extensions.
-- If possible, check to see if a firewall or security suite is blocking connections, such as "marbleblast.com:28002"
----> Actually, open www.marbleblast.com:28002 with your browser, wait 20 seconds or so, and see if it responds with two lines of "IDENTIFY CHALLENGE"

See how that works out.

~PM
Last edit: 29 Nov 2014 17:19 by ProMarbler. Reason: failed to close italics
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lee
  • HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
29 Nov 2014 18:14 - 29 Nov 2014 18:15 #5
Similar to what promarbler's saying, the display on the home page indicates whether or not you can access the leaderboards. In most cases, you can access them fine, however some places block traffic/ports (see: my school), and then you would see the servers as being down when the issue is only that you cannot access them.

Make sure whatever internet you're using has access to port 28002 TCP publicly (that's the port which the leaderboards uses), 29000 UDP (for the multiplayer master server) and 28000 UDP (for actual multiplayer games).

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }
Last edit: 29 Nov 2014 18:15 by HiGuy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lee, ProMarbler
  • Lee
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • huehuehue
30 Nov 2014 00:27 #6

promarbler14 wrote: That said...
-- Try entering webchat and typing /ping
-- Try waiting for the server status to turn green.
-- Try using a different browser, and then try using it without extensions.
-- If possible, check to see if a firewall or security suite is blocking connections, such as "marbleblast.com:28002"
----> Actually, open www.marbleblast.com:28002 with your browser, wait 20 seconds or so, and see if it responds with two lines of "IDENTIFY CHALLENGE"

See how that works out.

~PM

1. /ping did something weird... I typed /ping and then it said Pong! :?
2. That's useful I guess...
3. Tried that.
4. Checked. Didn't turn on firewall.
5. IDENTIFY CHALLENGE
IDENTIFY CHALLENGE

lee is awesome
30 Nov 2014 00:59 #7
If it says Pong, then Higuy fixed it before you posted, I guess. :P That is normal.

Also, given that you got a challenge response from the server, it means that you can connect to the server just fine. But from what it seems, it's actually working fine for you. #2 is what matters, but you were vague. If the server status turns green at all, then it is entirely UP. The status isn't 100% foolproof. If your connection between marbleblast.com and your particular machine is slow, even as other websites work fine, then the indicator will assume it's down until it gets a response from the leaderboards server. It's all about location, really. Internet does not easily cross bodies of water, so therefore you will experience a possible delay. Dushine, for example, is in another fairly remote location, and so suffers from slow pings and a poor multiplayer experience.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lee
  • Lee
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • huehuehue
03 Dec 2014 07:06 #8
Okay, I tried #5 when the server crashed (for me) and it said: This webpage is not available. (Using Google Chrome BTW)
So...does that help or anything?(I guess not :/)

lee is awesome
03 Dec 2014 21:32 #9
It would help if you had the specific error message that Google Chrome gave you, instead of a generic error message. There should be a arrow to expand details about the error.

It does suggest that this is not all a MarbleBlast-related issue. Can I ask what page you tried to visit? Does it do the same for sites like Google ?
  • Lee
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • huehuehue
12 Dec 2014 07:39 - 12 Dec 2014 07:42 #10
Ok, sorry about the wait :P

Pro Snowballer wrote: It does suggest that this is not all a MarbleBlast-related issue. Can I ask what page you tried to visit? Does it do the same for sites like Google ?

www.marbleblast.com:28000 and I AM using Google :P

So, it said: Error Code:ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

Hope it helps... (again)

lee is awesome
Last edit: 12 Dec 2014 07:42 by Lee.
12 Dec 2014 11:22 #11
Welll...

I'm still mystified. Now, some very hypothetical scenarios...
Maybe you are getting a new (dynamic) IP each time!? There are online sites that easily tell you. Take note of your external IP address now, and check back later after such incidents to see if it changes.
Also, maybe you're like HiGuy where randomly an entire network disconnects from him because of his shoddy ISP service; in that case, there isn't much to help.
Event logs on Windows mayhelp. Particularly if there are connectivity issues listed.
  • HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
12 Dec 2014 19:34 #12
From the information that I gained in chat with Lee, it seems that his network is blocking all traffic on UDP port 28000. We checked using a detection website, and determined that he can access 28002 and 29000, but not 28000. I suggested that he check his router settings, although he said that nobody in his family can remember the password. At this point, I'm placing my bets on it being a router problem. If I get any more information, I'll update.

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lee, ProMarbler
Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 1.052 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.