file 2023 Summer Gem Hunt Tournament

• Jean
  • Jean's Avatar Topic Author
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • The only Maltese MB Player
  • Thank you received: 20
24 May 2023 17:07 - 26 Jun 2023 08:05 #1
Get ready to have your fingers dashing, PQ crashing, and laptops smashing, because WE'RE BACK FOR THE 9TH ANNUAL SUMMER GEM HUNT TOURNAMENT!!!!!!! The time-tested tradition of gathering the finest social recluses...I mean...marble blasters in town for a summer of competition in this fabulous game mode that descended from our big-balled MBU grandparents is a tradition that dates back to when I was in elementary school (I'm halfway through uni now). (Look how sweet eguy is awww, he wrote this not me ANYWAY)

Please read this post thoroughly before announcing your intent to participate. If you hate reading like I do, I sympathize but also kindly ask you to do it anyway cause I put a lot of effort into this and I want to HELP mitigate any confusion for all y’all. Without further ado, let's jump right in with the format!

Basic rules:
ALL MATCHES THROUGHOUT THIS TOURNAMENT MUST BE PLAYED WITH COMPETITIVE MODE ON (that's if competitive mode is in multiplayer). QUICK SPAWN MUST BE OFF REGARDLESS.
Make sure to agree on which server or dedicated server to use based on fair and even ping. If there is no server that is fair or even, consider alternating: for example, in the 2021 finals, I played against Eguy. He lives in the Western US and I live in Southeastern Europe. We used a server set up in the Midwestern US and one located in the UK for my picks, counterbalancing the ping advantage with a map advantage.

Preseed
This year’s tournament will have a preseed round.

On the week of the 19th of June, there will be a pre-seed round, where each player will complete solo Gem Hunt runs on four pre-determined levels. A person will have to accompany you in the server to confirm that you did not cheat your scores. They have the option of recording those runs on video if they so choose. Players are forbidden from respawning for a better first spawn - once you enter the level you have entered your only run. The Pre-Seed map draw will take place on 11th June 2023 at 18:00 UTC, in the Marble Blast Community Discord Server, so be sure to be in the server (you should be in regardless)
These maps will be: Lupus, Playground, Hunting Around, Skate Battle Royale
Regular hunt will be used here, unlike the rest of the tournament

Swiss rounds
Then we have the regular season, which will be in the Swiss format, starting Monday June 26th and lasting 5-6 weeks depending on number of participants. It’s very simple. You will be assigned a new matchup each week. Your first opponent will be drawn based on the preseed round, and the rest of your opponents will be based on how well you fare. The start and cutoff times for each week will be Mondays at midnight Pacific time (GMT-8). The matches will be best of five. The lower seeded player (as in, with a seed that is a higher number) gets to choose whether they want to pick first or not. The fifth game will be randomized if a match gets that far. Brace yourselves for King of the Marble mothafuckas.

This year we are trying a NEW RULE for swiss rounds: a map cap. You only get to pick the same map up to a total of three times if the swiss rounds end up being 5-6 weeks, and twice if 4 weeks.

Playoffs
Playoffs will begin when swiss rounds end. Number of players to qualify TBD once we know how many have signed up in total. We may involve play-in rounds. Same deal except best of seven (nine for the finals), and you will only get to pick any given map TWICE for the entire playoffs (as opposed to once in previous years). Choose wisely! Play to your opponents’ weaknesses, use your prime weapons as aggressively or conservatively as you desire, and if you pick Fault Line against me, you’d better be a trans girl who needs help transitioning cause I'll rip your dick off.

No-Shows
Because the matchups for any given week are determined by what happened the week prior, it is essential that all matches get played. No-shows will be dealt with on a case by case basis. If it is clearly the fault of one player, they will get an automatic 3-0 loss. If both players are clearly at fault, a 0-0 game will be considered. We really, really hope these scenarios end up being purely hypothetical. Cmon bro all you gotta do is make time for one MP sesh per week. That’s it. Let’s make this tourney a historic first in that regard, with no no-shows.

Map Choices
All of the STANDARD gem hunt maps are fair game. No winterfest or frightfest maps will be allowed. A shame, really, as I’ve been saying for YEARS that some of the customs have earned their place amongst the official levels. And I’m still salty that Gym got the boot right before I was gonna use it as my secret weapon in the inaugural tourney. *angry egy noises* (lol get rekt)

Hosting, Recording and Writing Up Matches

Hit any of us up on discord via the official PQ server to plan match times and dates. You are all encouraged to schedule in advance rather than be spontaneous. So we can stream and/or record with commentary! If not stream, PLEASE at least make sure to at least get them recorded. If it’s absolutely necessary i. e. Sunday evening and there is no person available to record, just go ahead and play the match, with an additional spectator to verify the scores and ensure that the rules were followed. If the match has not been recorded, please report the final scores of each game to either this forum thread or the #hype channel in the PQ discord server, along with a brief synopsis/writeup of how the games played out. In fact, write-ups for all matches are encouraged but optional if the matches were streamed/recorded. On to my most important point...

ANYONE CAN JOIN!
Remember, most of all, to have fun. I don’t condone punching holes in Ikea tables, breaking your dad’s ribs, or getting saltier than your average MB community member after a five second discord mute. Incidents akin to the Great Pee Torter Saltfest of 2014 are, while iconic, not really what we wanna see. And of course, players of all skill levels are welcome to join. This is a tired cliche, but even if you think you ain’t gonna beat the top tier players, there’s no better time to improve, and it’s a great experience regardless. I sure as hell didn’t have a shot the first few years I participated but I enjoyed it.

Prize
With the generosity of DKman00, there is a Prize Pool of $250 American
This will be allocated by the following:

Quarter Finalists: $10
4th Place: $20
3rd Place : $40
2nd Place: $60
1st Place: $90
I am planning on sending out the money through Steam, Revolut, or PayPal (not finalised yet)

YOU CAN ALSO:
become mod
get neck rub from jojo
get PQ 2 top secret build

FAQ
If there are any questions I’ve failed to answer here, hit up Yoshi, Eguy or myself on discord. All of us are available round the clock cause let’s be real, none of us have lives.

PQ crash!!

Crashes will be dealt with on a case by case basis. Let’s just say, assuming it’s a five minute map, one player has an insurmountable lead with less than a minute left, there is no need to replay it. If there is less than two minutes left, it’s up to both players to come to an agreement. If we’re not through the halfway point, the game is replayed, period. If it’s anybody’s game even if there’s not much time left, the game is replayed, period. Again, this is just a basic framework and should be case by case.

Tie game!!

Play it again.

Voice taunts!!

...are fair game. Just be tactful.

This forum post is a good resource for FAQ, as are all the tourney posts from years past.

marbleblast.com/index.php/forum/mb-tournaments/7647-1v1-v1-multiplayer-marble-blast-tournament?start=0

Players Currently Signed Up (32) SIGNUPS CLOSED
Eguy
Jean
Connie
Red_zone
J@ckRB
TrueSlayer74
Nockess
serjG2005
Gittles
jacob69431
theturk1234
freeziez
husemat69
Kwill
thearst3rd
Kalle29
Wilchz
Yoshicraft224
Eurobeater
Robert
Xedron (directly been told will join)
Tue27
subtract
MBOUltimate
A-Game
Whitepoplar
Ignas
Hirassy
Frostfire (directly been told will join)
PPG Planet (directly been told will join)
rodent_blast (directly been told will join)
Creep (directly been told will join)
Hypedmaniac

Challonge Link:
challonge.com/j09nnvh2

Good luck!

tl;dr joj HoH SiS whatever idk 2016 memes i was 12

If you don't like camping, go for all spawns, then boom no camping :D

be cool and watch my glorious videos and you get pat
www.youtube.com/channel/UCdizPA26rBvNfxQrpaJZqyw
Last edit: 26 Jun 2023 08:05 by Jean. Reason: Players currently signed up, Pre-Seed map draw date, Prize Pool
The following user(s) said Thank You: thearst3rd, Connie, Yoshicraft224, Wilchz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Connie
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • i code for balls
  • Thank you received: 64
24 May 2023 17:21 #2
Who are you talking to right now? Who is it that you think you see? Do you know how many blues I get in a match? I mean, even if I tell you, you wouldn’t believe it. Do you know what happens if I suddenly decide to stop playing in Tournaments? All of the excitement in a tournament goes belly-up. Gone. It doesn't exist without me. No, you clearly don’t know who you’re talking to so let me clue you in. I am not going to be beaten at Gem Hunt, Skylar. I will beat other people at it. A guy goes for a blue and gets blasted off the map, and you think that of me? No. I am the one who blasts.

Anyways... I am participating! Time to kick some ass!

For the best Marble Blast levels, head over to:
- marbleland.vaniverse.io/pack/18

connieofro.neocities.org/

[img

• Red_zone
  • Novice Marbler
  • Novice Marbler
  • when that cold brew hits
  • Thank you received: 2
24 May 2023 17:24 #3
I volunteer as tribute.
Also, this is my first time in a tourney, so wish me luck
:D

• J@ckRB
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • *some self-degrading humour*
  • Thank you received: 164
24 May 2023 17:33 #4

you know it bby

"funny quote" - funny person 2016 part 2 electric boogaloo

• Thank you received: 3
24 May 2023 18:02 #5
[hr]
Another year, another tourney! -- Let's see how I go this year!
If I am not mistaken, I have literally nothing to lose as I did not make the Playoffs last year.
I would be surprised if I make them this year, and perhaps even further(?), as I was able to make the Playoff's Survival Round during the 2021 tournament.
So, let's test my luck, let's test my agility, let's test my blasting, let's test whether my almighty ping will screw me over again! :lol:

[hr]
TL;DR: LET'S DO THIS BAYBEEEEEEEEEEE! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Notice how I don't communicate over the community as much? Yea, I think that's the reason I barely post. :P

• Thank you received: 31
24 May 2023 18:03 #6
Singleplayer gem hunt is better
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jean

• Nockess
  • Respected Marbler
  • Respected Marbler
  • Cheater Supreme
  • Thank you received: 786
24 May 2023 18:41 #7
a

Call me Chris!

Discord: Nockess#4107
YouTube: www.youtube.com/Nockess
Custom Levels: marbleland.vaniverse.io/profile/5

• Thank you received: 2
24 May 2023 18:48 #8
YES

• Thank you received: 1
24 May 2023 19:01 #9
I'm in!

• Jacob
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Good, but not too good
24 May 2023 19:16 #10
I'm in as well

• Thank you received: 7
24 May 2023 19:54 #11
I'm in

• Thank you received: 4
24 May 2023 20:07 #12
yessir let's run it back

• Thank you received: 0
24 May 2023 20:41 #13
count me in!

24 May 2023 20:51 #14
I’ll join!

• Thank you received: 5
24 May 2023 22:12 #15
Put me in chief!!

Thanks for hosting this year, I look forward to it :)

• Kalle29
  • I blame ping for losing
  • Thank you received: 754
24 May 2023 23:18 #16
It's on like Donkey Kong

༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽ You have been visited by the Nivea™ Donger of moisture. Soft skin and good fortune will come to you, but only if you post "thank you Mr. Skeltal" in this thread ༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽

• petalflurry
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
  • dm hot egg pics
  • Thank you received: 10
25 May 2023 00:16 #17
yeah sure i can't do worse than last year

"cheater hakcer i want your flair gikemve me it" - MASON35, 2020

25 May 2023 03:44 #18
dead i am

• Yoshicraft224
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
  • no
  • Thank you received: 51
25 May 2023 08:37 #19
"All y'all" (as egy put it) shall be fucked gayly and with copious semen. Count me in fellers

brapdoors mbg #OhBoyFreeAM!

25 May 2023 13:14 #20
i'm participating or whatever

• Thank you received: 146
25 May 2023 14:40 #21
let's go

:>

• New Marbler
  • New Marbler
  • Certified Mainah
25 May 2023 15:47 #22
I'll enter the fray. working on getting multiplayer to work on my Mac but hopefully devs can help me in time

discord tag is .5#2928

• Thank you received: 18
27 May 2023 10:00 #23
I'll join, with more rust than ever :)

• Thank you received: 3
29 May 2023 13:08 #24
Let’s get this show on the road!

• MBOUltimate
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Personal text
  • Thank you received: 60
29 May 2023 16:55 #25
it's time to duel

02 Jun 2023 19:08 - 08 Jun 2023 18:20 #26
No more lucky group stages :(
[strike]Also, no more comp mode! (Can either be bad or good)[/strike]
[strike]Pre-2.50 returns. (maybe)[/strike]

I'll join!

/v13
Last edit: 08 Jun 2023 18:20 by A-Game.

• Whitepoplar
  • Novice Marbler
  • Novice Marbler
  • How do I prove that I exist?
  • Thank you received: 4
11 Jun 2023 15:46 #27
Count me in!
Ee, reticence—it's hard to keep at it in the face of caprice.

"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words."

• Ignas
  • New Marbler
  • New Marbler
  • The Sinister Blade
11 Jun 2023 17:48 #28
Aye I'll play - this will make it my third Multiplayer tournament!

"Forfeit the game before somebody else takes you out of the frame and puts your name to shame. Cover up your face, you can't run the race - the pace is too fast, you just won't last."

12 Jun 2023 15:18 #29
I'll join

• Jean
  • Jean's Avatar Topic Author
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • The only Maltese MB Player
20 Jun 2023 16:53 - 23 Jun 2023 20:50 #30
It is worth posting here that the current Summer tournament will now have a participant cap of 32, so there is only 1 slot left. First come first serve.
There are always a few people that regret not joining for whatever reason, so if you’re interested make sure that one of the slots are yours, even if you’re not great at the game. There are only a few days left to sign up. For more info you can check the Tournaments category on Discord.

If you don't like camping, go for all spawns, then boom no camping :D

be cool and watch my glorious videos and you get pat
www.youtube.com/channel/UCdizPA26rBvNfxQrpaJZqyw
Last edit: 23 Jun 2023 20:50 by Jean.

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 1.114 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.