file Obsidianmadman Central

• Obsidianmadman
  • Obsidianmadman's Avatar Topic Author
  • New Marbler
  • New Marbler
  • Thank you received: 0
01 Aug 2016 20:17 #1
Why hello there! I just thought it would be a good idea to start posting some of my videos on the forms.

Here's my analysis of MBG!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
02 Aug 2016 07:14 - 02 Aug 2016 07:14 #2
Nice breakdown of the physics. Most of it is actually pretty simple when you think about it (except for the triangle mesh collision, don't ask Jeff about it).

A few points:
- You spend all this time on finding acceleration. Remember Defaultmarble.gravity = 2; ? 2 is the gravity. Default is 20, per marble.cs, only 8.2% error, not bad
- Rolling will only accelerate you to 15m/s in one direction, and spinning while falling will get you a max angular velocity of 75m/s
- Air acceleration is 5m/s^2 by the way, default defined by the engine
- Exact friction/restitution values can be found in data/init.cs
- Technically up is the Z axis in torque because 3D
- Powerup forces were found by Whirligig231 for MBPU: SJ is 20m/s^2, SS is 25m/s^2, SB has a restitution of 0.9, SA is apparently 0.7 friction, gyro is 1/4 gravity and 2x air acceleration
- Hazards was pretty good, note bumpers are actually just like the bouncy floor in MBP (same exact method, texture with a force)
- Fun fact about mines: the farther you are from the center of explosion, the more powerful it is. Something about distance ~ velocity but I don't know the math.

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }
Last edit: 02 Aug 2016 07:14 by HiGuy. Reason: Wording
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jiquor

• Kalle29
  • I blame ping for losing
  • Thank you received: 754
02 Aug 2016 08:11 #3
from the comment section:

- The size of a tile is actually exactly 2 meters, not 1.843 meters.

I think part of the difference here is the fact that Obsidian used the marble from MBP as a base to compare to and not MBG vanilla; the marble in MBP is ca 5% smaller than the MBG original.

- Exact friction/restitution values can be found in data/init.cs

I actually listed the relevant surfaces in my advanced tech guide so you can easily find them.

Regarding the super speed "glitch", it is affected by the last surface you touched. so in a level like half pipe, you touch an almost straight wall right as you exit the pipe. The SS is also affected by your camera, so when you touch a surface that is tilted at a great angle and move the camera, that is when the "glitch" happens. This is used on KotM in WRR 3 and 4. The side of the rock is very tilted, so when regi/xelna jumps into it, the SS goes by the angle of that surface and sends you almost straight up.

- Fun fact about mines: the farther you are from the center of explosion, the more powerful it is. Something about distance ~ velocity but I don't know the math.

Well they're not exactly consistent. Mines heavily affected by your fps but lowering fps extremely low won't do you any good. Taking 1 screenshot when you hit a mine can send you flying, but taking 5 screenshots won't even create a normal sized explosion. There are more instances where fps affects the physics but w/e

Keep making videos, man. The community appreciates video makers

༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽ You have been visited by the Nivea™ Donger of moisture. Soft skin and good fortune will come to you, but only if you post "thank you Mr. Skeltal" in this thread ༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.903 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.