lock Multiplayer

• Kasper
  • Kasper's Avatar Topic Author
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Thank you received: 3
21 Aug 2014 03:45 #1
I was wondering how I could put multiplayer into my mod.

with the music and the lights and everything :P
The topic has been locked.
  • Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
  • PlatinumQuest Programmer
  • Thank you received: 205
21 Aug 2014 03:53 - 21 Aug 2014 04:21 #2
The answer is no, you don't.

On a more serious note, here is why.

It has taken us Marble Blast Platinum devs 3 whole years in order to make multiplayer as successful as it is. A ton of time and research was put into this. Thousands upon thousands of hours. You need expert programmers who are experienced in TorqueScript and handling networking code. HiGuy and I invested months into this. You have marble movement, interpolation, collision, syncronizing the clients across a network, moving platforms, bugfixes, port code in stock MBG from single player to multiplayer and other things. That isn't even getting to a game mode yet. Let's not forget about scoring, leaderboards, chatting with one another, ect.

This stuff takes thousands upon thousands (yes thousands) of lines of code to accomplish this kind of stuff. How much do code do you think higuy and I had to add to MBP 1.50? About at least 100,000+ lines of torquescript, and that is a very very conservative estimate.

If you want to code multiplayer, go ahead, but there's so much more than just collecting gems and getting the most points.

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.
Last edit: 21 Aug 2014 04:21 by Jeff.
  • HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
21 Aug 2014 04:26 #3
Step 1:
$pref::HostMultiplayer = 1;

Step 2:
Make a ghosting system that ghosts the player positions over the network. I'll let you figure this part out.

Step 3:
Make your own gameservers and infrastructure for multiplayer servers. You can figure this one out as well.

???

Step 5:
Profit

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }
  • Thank you received: 43
22 Aug 2014 02:34 - 22 Aug 2014 02:36 #4
Haha, that's kinda funny.

Wait you weren't joking? Oh well..

You can't just open one file then boom you have multiplayer. Jeff and Higuy have worked for like 3 years or something to code multiplayer. And even then it is still a little buggy...

Sorry, bud, but MP can't happen for you.
Last edit: 22 Aug 2014 02:36 by Endy.
Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.929 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.