file What is a wall trick, anyway?

• marblethefantactic
  • marblethefantactic's Avatar Topic Author
  • New Marbler
  • New Marbler
  • Thank you received: 0
11 May 2010 19:43 #1
I've been doing many levels which require wall tricks. In Marble mosaic, it says to Mix Diagnal Movement while Jumping Against the Wall. I tried that, but it doesn't work. Can someone explain to me what a wall trick is?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 18
11 May 2010 21:17 #2
A wall-hit is where the marble jumps against a wall at a high rate of speed, thus translating some of its forward spin into upward velocity. It lets the marble attain great heights.

I think that's what you were talking about.

11 May 2010 21:28 #3
No.
A wall-trick is where you roll forward (or do diagonal movement against) a wall that is >1.5 units in hight (just out of jump hight range), and jump repeatedly. Eventually, you will jump up the wall all the way.

• Thank you received: 15
11 May 2010 23:16 #4
If you use the wall trick in a custom level, Matan will give you bonus points in LotM. He LOVES the wall trick.

...not.

11 May 2010 23:57 #5
To expand a little, the wall trick was first discovered by Phil, and showcased in a level of his called...Wall Trick. Perishingflames' video shows the trick very well. (
)

It has been usable since what I believe was the first custom level, Skyhook, but no one really noticed it.

Since Phil's release several variations have been made, including the 3-trim wall trick, which I believe is slightly shorter than the original (?), and both have been used in various levels. To back up Andrew, the community hates them now because they can be very time consuming and mess up an otherwise perfect run of a level. Which it seems you noticed without my help.

• Lambencee(Aaron_Y)
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Thank you received: 23
12 May 2010 00:00 #6
And a problem I had with it when I first tried it is I was to close to the wall don't start right up against the wall.

• technostick
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Thank you received: 32
12 May 2010 00:03 #7
The wall trick has so far been used mostly in two forms, 3-trim and 4-trim. The difference is that it is impossible to jump up a 4-trim wall in one movement, whereas rolling lightly into a 3-trim and continuing to apply maximal topspin is effective. I personally find only the 4-trim wall trick stupid, because so far we have not found a consistent method.

In Marble Mosaic you can save a Shock Absorber to use on the relevant wall.

12 May 2010 08:41 #8
May 11, 2010, 2:28pm, mbgdemon wrote:No.
A wall-trick is where you roll forward (or do diagonal movement against) a wall that is >1.5 units in hight (just out of jump hight range), and jump repeatedly. Eventually, you will jump up the wall all the way.

Umm... After saying 'no' to him, you proceed to say exactly what Pablo said, only in a more dumbed-down statement. Congrats.

• Thank you received: 10
12 May 2010 09:12 #9
Wrong...

What Pablo described was a wall hit, what Yuri Khan described is a wall trick....

• marblethefantactic
  • marblethefantactic's Avatar Topic Author
  • New Marbler
  • New Marbler
12 May 2010 14:10 #10
The problem is that it gets too much recoil from the wall.

• Lambencee(Aaron_Y)
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
12 May 2010 16:23 #11
No Pablo was talking about the wall-hit. The wall-trick is what you want. Watch the video Riblet posted.

• Perishingflames
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Thank you received: 21
12 May 2010 19:45 #12
May 12, 2010, 7:10am, marblethefantactic wrote:The problem is that it gets too much recoil from the wall.

Get up real close so you are almost touching the wall, then on your first jump (in the air) jump forwards a bit so you are sort of stuck to it while continuing to hold diagonal.

12 May 2010 23:02 #13
Aplogies Yuri. Aside from the 'speed' and 'great heights', he actually described the wall trick perfectly!

Sorry

• Lambencee(Aaron_Y)
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
13 May 2010 00:01 #14
May 12, 2010, 4:02pm, oakster wrote:Aside from the 'speed' and 'great heights', he actually described the wall trick perfectly!

Pablo was talking abut the wall-hit silly. He even said he was.

• Thank you received: 15
13 May 2010 00:05 #15
*facepalm*

This whole thread has been confusing and full of stupidity. Marble2, if you read Oaky's post carefully, you would've seen that he apologized to YURI. So he was talking to him and not Pablo.

I'm going to lock this topic before it gets out of hand. And the OP's question was answered, anyway.

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.832 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.