file Coming Soon...

• whirligig
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Thank you received: 261
28 Feb 2012 05:28 #31
Okay, here's the deal. From a physics standpoint, changing the marble's size is easy. It's just a larger sphere. Realistically flowing water is almost impossible, even with current engines, let alone MB's engine.

The reason why is simply because of how many variables there are to work with. For a marble, you only need to keep track of six position variables: its position in each dimension and its rotation in each dimension. (MB requires seven because it uses angle-axis format, but that's another matter entirely.) Spheres are pretty simple. Now look at a glass of water. Notice how you can deform it into whatever shape you want. You would need hundreds of variables to get something that even looks decent. It's simply not practical with modern computing power.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 368
28 Feb 2012 08:43 #32
Feb 27, 2012, 9:22pm, jeff wrote:*sigh* water was removed from mbg's engine. Ask matan, if you dont believe me. That is c++ man, not torque

Not exactly, it's just not fully functional in the engine MBG runs on.

However, there are clever techniques you can use to create dynamic water in Marble Blast.

~Aayrl

• Thank you received: 1
28 Feb 2012 10:22 #33
I can't believe nobody has pointed this out. Look at the paradoxes in this picture!!!!!

All of the platforms in the 'fort' appear to be flat. however, some are uphill from others in one place, and downhill from them in another place. Also, they are all level up at the top of the picture!!!!

This is giving me some freaky infinite staircase moments here.

• Three
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • level designer
  • Thank you received: 349
28 Feb 2012 14:37 #34
offtopic: but nobody didn't post yet!!!
ontopic: This looks amazing! Great job! It looks quite like an M. C. Escher level!

Follow me on twitter at @threefolder

• Thank you received: 21
28 Feb 2012 14:39 #35
I'm so looking forward to that I can't wait 'til the next Spotlight.

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
  • PlatinumQuest Programmer
  • Thank you received: 205
28 Feb 2012 23:47 #36
Feb 28, 2012, 12:43am, aayrl wrote:
Feb 27, 2012, 9:22pm, jeff wrote:*sigh* water was removed from mbg's engine. Ask matan, if you dont believe me. That is c++ man, not torque

Not exactly, it's just not fully functional in the engine MBG runs on.

However, there are clever techniques you can use to create dynamic water in Marble Blast.

~Aayrl

I figured hackish ways could work, but heh, these people arn't coders + I figured they were probably talking about terrain like water thats in TGEA/T3D

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.

• Thank you received: 10
29 Feb 2012 02:07 #37
Feb 28, 2012, 2:22am, agedude wrote:I can't believe nobody has pointed this out. Look at the paradoxes in this picture!!!!!

All of the platforms in the 'fort' appear to be flat. however, some are uphill from others in one place, and downhill from them in another place. Also, they are all level up at the top of the picture!!!!

This is giving me some freaky infinite staircase moments here.

I noticed, but thought it was just the camera angle making it look weird...

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.935 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.