file Marble Blast Platinum 1.50: Under the Hood (3)

• IsraeliRD
  • IsraeliRD's Avatar Topic Author
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
  • Thank you received: 912
08 Nov 2013 08:07 #1
MULTIPLAYERMULTIPLAYERMULT--errr...

This is the last video for this series and it is all about Multiplayer! It also contains some very exciting news about when you guys get to play with it (hint: SOON!).
We had to do it in a few segments because of time constraints and people were coming and leaving all the time.

There was a lot of work done in the last few months towards Multiplayer and making it as awesome as it is. Countless Skype hours were spent as we discussed what we want, how things should work, what problems we found and how to fix them. Many think it might seem easy but it's been the opposite.
Overall doing the Online section took us a very long time, and I want to say big thanks to HiGuy and Jeff for doing it as honestly what you guys are seeing would not have been possible if it wasn't for them.

Enjoy!

"matan, now i get what you meant a few years back when you said that "the level in mbg is beyond me" after the last rampage i noticed things were insane, and now i truly feel that too" - Dushine, 2015.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 368
08 Nov 2013 08:30 #2
Oh, good, you finally released UtH3. Now I can post this screenshot I took last night of my super cool hosting session.

Another disclaimer : The team game previewed in UtH3 was my third ever multiplayer map on MBP 1.50. I had finished installing the client literally fifteen minutes before we played that match .. after not playing MarbleBlast for two years. Needless to say, I think I lost ~250 rating the first night .. but I am slowly working my way back up to my par status with IsraeliRD.. wink.

Can't wait to see you folks in the beta launch Team HAMLASER for the win!

~Aayrl

• HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
08 Nov 2013 08:33 #3
Nov 8, 2013, 12:30am, aayrl wrote:I think I lost ~250 rating the first night ..

Only about 150, but it was very much super special awesomely appreciated.

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }

• ChaosUnown
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
  • MB Graphic/Interior Designer
  • Thank you received: 5
08 Nov 2013 09:19 #4
I have to admit, I like the prospect of a spectator mode. I really don't know how the technical aspects work, but will the jagged movement of the opposing marbles eventually be smoothed out?

• Perishingflames
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Thank you received: 21
08 Nov 2013 11:00 #5
Holy crap, it's amazing to see how far this project has come.. it looks like everything has fallen into place and the game is ready for some public testing!! Fantastic job, MBP team.

• RDs.The-dts-guy
  • Developer
  • Developer
  • Blender pls
  • Thank you received: 188
08 Nov 2013 16:09 #6
First of all thank you guys for spending your time on this. I think everybody in community will enjoy this. Looking forward to custom levels people will come up with!

Nov 8, 2013, 1:19am, chaosunown wrote:I have to admit, I like the prospect of a spectator mode. I really don't know how the technical aspects work, but will the jagged movement of the opposing marbles eventually be smoothed out?
As far as i know no because we don't have access to most of multiplayer code in core files and there wasn't any lag conpensation code made back when garagegames made MB multiplayer for MBG and eventually ''removed'' it before release of game to ''simplify it''. So as far as i know ,no Best Higuy and jeff did is done gameplay wise.

Some guy that does DTS shapes and levels.

AWESOME time HINT : When making PQ level place your custom interiors and textures in platinum/data/interiors_pq/custom
makes life easier for you and everyone else :)

• Thank you received: 67
08 Nov 2013 16:30 #7
Fantastic! Great job.

• Thank you received: 15
08 Nov 2013 18:33 #8
Everything about MBP 1.50 looks amazing! Can't wait to start playing matches against all of you.

• Thank you received: 17
09 Nov 2013 00:24 #9
Yes, finally, UtH3.

Nov 8, 2013, 1:19am, chaosunown wrote:I have to admit, I like the prospect of a spectator mode. I really don't know how the technical aspects work, but will the jagged movement of the opposing marbles eventually be smoothed out?You have to rember that the jagged movement is because Matan lives ~10000 miles from the other players.

• Thank you received: 15
09 Nov 2013 01:12 #10
Nov 8, 2013, 4:24pm, lcf wrote:
Nov 8, 2013, 1:19am, chaosunown wrote:I have to admit, I like the prospect of a spectator mode. I really don't know how the technical aspects work, but will the jagged movement of the opposing marbles eventually be smoothed out?You have to rember that the jagged movement is because Matan lives ~10000 miles from the other players.

Matan and Phil both live in Australia

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
  • PlatinumQuest Programmer
  • Thank you received: 205
09 Nov 2013 02:37 #11
Nov 8, 2013, 1:19am, chaosunown wrote:I have to admit, I like the prospect of a spectator mode. I really don't know how the technical aspects work, but will the jagged movement of the opposing marbles eventually be smoothed out?

We already have anti-lag code to help aid the lag. However, when a connection host lives in Australia and expects people from the East coast of the US to connect to him, packet loss and lag become our friends.

Not much more we can do, we already are interpolating the positions with 2-3 algorithms. Much more will just cause the game to lag and take more processing power, as well as a complete waste as not much more can be done than what we already have.

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.

• Thank you received: 67
09 Nov 2013 03:05 #12
Nov 8, 2013, 6:37pm, jeff wrote:

We already have anti-lag code to help aid the lag. However, when a connection host lives in Australia and expects people from the East coast of the US to connect to him, packet loss and lag become our friends.

Not much more we can do, we already are interpolating the positions with 2-3 algorithms. Much more will just cause the game to lag and take more processing power, as well as a complete waste as not much more can be done than what we already have.
So it would be smoother if both people are relatively close?

• brandondorf9999
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Thank you received: 2
09 Nov 2013 03:57 #13
I take that as a excellent job on the game. I think we all want it.

• Marblemaster1
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Custom Code Enthusiast
  • Thank you received: 8
09 Nov 2013 20:19 #14
Awesome work, devs! I can't wait to play everybody in multiplayer and finally see what I missed in MBO!

QuArK is still a good map editor

You know what's boring? Opaque marble skins. You know what's not? Glass Marbles!

09 Nov 2013 20:47 #15
Yay, new Blast and Mega Marble dts shapes!

Edit: the Mega Marble kids! one from the /v commands is my favorite.... I remember it from one of Matan's old MBO videos.

09 Nov 2013 21:56 #16
On a side note of latency:

HiGuy and I have played tons of games in the past few days, and we live within 100 miles of one another. The player marble's are still a little jittery, but the movement is smooth enough to get a player's location down to an update every half of a second or so.

Games with IsraeliRD hosting are .. interesting .. I've been experiencing some 'exciting' bugs that HiGuy hasn't seemed to experience, but still the player updates are (at most) once a second, which is still fairly nice considering we're using a 15 year old engine to accomplish this.

~Aayrl

• Thank you received: 16
09 Nov 2013 22:33 #17
Whee if I am in VT too Aaryl! I have watched the video and I am very excited! Love the shading on the tiles, reminds me of videos because I never played MBO.

i have a flickr

09 Nov 2013 22:54 #18
Nov 9, 2013, 2:33pm, elnathan wrote:Whee if I am in VT too Aaryl! I have watched the video and I am very excited! Love the shading on the tiles, reminds me of videos because I never played MBO.Yeah, the shading on the tiles is really cool. Sure, the textures are old, but the way they're designed give the player the illusion of depth and colour change, just like good old MBO.

• Thank you received: 25
10 Nov 2013 01:24 #19
Impressive...

• Regislian
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Thank you received: 255
10 Nov 2013 02:11 #20
Everything sounds amazing.. Can't wait!

Thanks guys!

• brandondorf9999
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Thank you received: 2
10 Nov 2013 03:05 #21
Me too. I'm excited for the new version of the game too.

• Thank you received: 0
10 Nov 2013 04:39 #22
Phew... The MBP team did not fail to impress me

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
10 Nov 2013 04:47 #23
Did I hear something about open beta?

"matan, now i get what you meant a few years back when you said that "the level in mbg is beyond me" after the last rampage i noticed things were insane, and now i truly feel that too" - Dushine, 2015.

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
10 Nov 2013 04:56 #24
AND WHAT IF YOU DID :3
ps tuesday

• Pyro
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • The semester rounds out!
  • Thank you received: 0
10 Nov 2013 07:02 #25
Nov 9, 2013, 1:56pm, aayrl wrote:On a side note of latency:

HiGuy and I have played tons of games in the past few days, and we live within 100 miles of one another. The player marble's are still a little jittery, but the movement is smooth enough to get a player's location down to an update every half of a second or so.

Games with IsraeliRD hosting are .. interesting .. I've been experiencing some 'exciting' bugs that HiGuy hasn't seemed to experience, but still the player updates are (at most) once a second, which is still fairly nice considering we're using a 15 year old engine to accomplish this.

~Aayrl
No way! I'm in Vermont too!

Love that this is finally coming true. Nobody ever played MBU on the Xbox anymore, glad to see multiplayer hit its true potential.

• Thank you received: 10
11 Nov 2013 00:20 #26
Nov 9, 2013, 8:56pm, admin wrote:AND WHAT IF YOU DID :3
ps tuesday

Tuesday, but but...

Monday is a holiday in the US *hint hint hint*

11 Nov 2013 00:51 #27
Going way off topic here, but (if I read the last few posts correctly) are we all agreeing that four (4) of the hundred (100) or so active users on the forums are from Vermont? Of all the remote places in the world, the majority of us happen to be from maple syrup land.

We should have a Marble Blast convention, and invite everyone from the northeast to come visit (which would be the four of us and Andrew).

~Aayrl

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
  • PlatinumQuest Programmer
  • Thank you received: 205
11 Nov 2013 01:10 #28
I'm technically in the NE

If you held it in Andrew's area, I would probably be okay, then again this does give me an excuse to come visit VT to get some maple syrup. (HiGuy if you let me stay with you then i'll come :3)

Anyways guys expect good news in a couple of days, as Matan has hinted a date already

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.

• Thank you received: 64
11 Nov 2013 02:49 #29
Nov 10, 2013, 4:20pm, helpme wrote:Tuesday, but but...

Monday is a holiday in the US *hint hint hint*

*nudge nudge nudge*

• Thank you received: 25
11 Nov 2013 02:57 #30
Nov 10, 2013, 4:51pm, aayrl wrote:Going way off topic here, but (if I read the last few posts correctly) are we all agreeing that four (4) of the hundred (100) or so active users on the forums are from Vermont? Of all the remote places in the world, the majority of us happen to be from maple syrup land.

We should have a Marble Blast convention, and invite everyone from the northeast to come visit (which would be the four of us and Andrew).

~Aayrl

I'm 2 hours away from Vermont, and have a condo at Stratton...

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 1.013 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.