• IsraeliRD
  • IsraeliRD's Avatar Topic Author
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
  • Thank you received: 912
06 Nov 2011 08:53 #31
Don't forget Aayrl, he contributed to some of the background ideas a lot more

"matan, now i get what you meant a few years back when you said that "the level in mbg is beyond me" after the last rampage i noticed things were insane, and now i truly feel that too" - Dushine, 2015.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 91
07 Nov 2011 02:17 #32
Nov 6, 2011, 1:24am, pablovasquez wrote:Happy birthday, PQ! May you have no more during development.

November 3, 2009:

Quote:A few of you (PF, Andrew, Phil, Pablo) were on MSN 2-3 days ago and have supported a new idea that I came up with for MBP.

I'm kinda lost right now, to be honest. For one, isn't today the 6th?

• Thank you received: 18
07 Nov 2011 05:33 #33
It was a bit retroactive.

• Thank you received: 0
07 Nov 2011 08:00 #34
Nov 6, 2011, 6:17pm, ktbold12345 wrote:I'm kinda lost right now, to be honest. For one, isn't today the 6th?

No more birthdays for PQ means that the dev team will either kill it or release it before November 2012.

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
07 Nov 2011 08:04 #35
Crap, now I actually have to stick to a due date?

Hell no.

*prepares next birthday party*

"matan, now i get what you meant a few years back when you said that "the level in mbg is beyond me" after the last rampage i noticed things were insane, and now i truly feel that too" - Dushine, 2015.

08 Nov 2011 00:13 #36
Nov 7, 2011, 12:00am, marblefire wrote:
Nov 6, 2011, 6:17pm, ktbold12345 wrote:I'm kinda lost right now, to be honest. For one, isn't today the 6th?

No more birthdays for PQ means that the dev team will either kill it or release it before November 2012.

KILL IT!?!? NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

08 Nov 2011 04:50 #37
Don't worry Kwill, we subscribe to the sunk cost fallacy.

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
  • PlatinumQuest Programmer
  • Thank you received: 205
08 Nov 2011 06:10 #38
Theres no way PQ would be killed, trololol. I also think PQ will be released before MBFubar

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
08 Nov 2011 15:36 #39
Whew! I was worried for a moment there.

12 Nov 2011 19:48 #40
Late post, but I have a couple ideas:

- The ability to change the duration of which it freezes your marble.
- The ability to change whether the shard shatters or stays in place after unfreezing.

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
12 Nov 2011 20:08 #41
Nov 12, 2011, 11:48am, nobody wrote:Late post, but I have a couple ideas:

- The ability to change the duration of which it freezes your marble.
- The ability to change whether the shard shatters or stays in place after unfreezing.

now that is cool. Both would be pretty easy to code too imo

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.

12 Nov 2011 20:31 #42
I want that marble skin.

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
13 Nov 2011 07:40 #43
Nobody (and anyone else who had a similar query):
We thought about changing duration and decided not to. Mainly because then you can only guess how the hazard is going to behave. Secondly the shard you saw shattering is just an image like the superbounce/shockabsorber/gyro, the actual shattering are particle effects.

If you mean the Ice Shard itself shattering, then I shall keep you in the frozen darkness about that one

13 Nov 2011 19:56 #44
Nov 12, 2011, 11:40pm, admin wrote:
We thought about changing duration and decided not to. Mainly because then you can only guess how the hazard is going to behave.

If that was truly the case, then level builders should be limited in many other things:

Time modifiers. They can hurt or help you, depending on the time.
Magnets, the force changes based on the size.

Besides, after a couple play-throughs of a level, the user will learn which shards freeze for which durations.

Nov 12, 2011, 11:40pm, admin wrote:
If you mean the Ice Shard itself shattering, then I shall keep you in the frozen darkness about that one

hmmmmmm....

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
15 Nov 2011 14:58 #45
How about a randomness in the force necessary to shatter the Ice shard? Or even shattering the marble? If that is possible...

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
15 Nov 2011 22:58 #46
Nov 15, 2011, 6:58am, Promarbler bananas wrote:How about a randomness in the force necessary to shatter the Ice shard? Or even shattering the marble? If that is possible...

I would think thats totally possible (not gonna say how to code it here thats for sure, trololol). That is a good idea though . Now, shattering the marble i think is impossible.

16 Nov 2011 01:27 #47
Nov 15, 2011, 6:58am, Promarbler bananas wrote:Or even shattering the marble? If that is possible...

Would be cool, but gameplay wouldn't be much fun after the marble is shattered. It would be broken.

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
16 Nov 2011 01:43 #48
which is why you would just call the method onMissionReset, so you can restart

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
16 Nov 2011 02:06 #49
Nobody, you seem to be missing the point, plus your examples were bad. Talking about the POWER of hazards (such as magnets) is irrelevant as you can see that the size of these hazards were modified from original. We're talking about the duration of which you stay frozen. The TT example is also incorrect, as those you can tell the duration they add/substract to your time by simply touching each of them once.

With the Ice Shard, you can't tell how long you're staying frozen. In a level filled them them, if you start randomising them like the Time Travel, you're going to have to manually touch every single one of them and then time them to figure out which freeze you for longer. Worse yet, imagine you're falling down a chamber filled with them... practically impossible to tell which to avoid.

By maintaining a standard without the need to change its values we're giving players the benefit of all ice shards will freeze you for the same time instead of hey this one could freeze you for the entire game. Also, I'm not sure you'd like to accidentally touch an Ice Shard just to find out it that freezes you for 30 seconds. Or even 5.

19 Nov 2011 14:55 #50
Quote:[...]you can see that the size of these hazards were modified from original.
So change the Ice Shard's size...

Quote:[...]you can tell the duration they add/substract to your time by simply touching each of them once.
You can tell the duration every IS freezes you for by simply touching each of them once. And really, if you don't have patience to wait 3 seconds, then how do you have enough patience to fall over and over again trying to get a good time on a level?

Quote:Also, I'm not sure you'd like to accidentally touch an Ice Shard just to find out it that freezes you for 30 seconds. Or even 5.

30 or 5 seconds is waaay too much. About five seconds would be pretty much the maximum. In extreme cases.

Maybe you could speed up the timer if you're frozen. This way even 30 seconds would be feasible as it would only take a couple of IRL seconds.

• Thank you received: 10
20 Nov 2011 01:45 #51
Here's in favor of fixed duration. If you want to use this hazard to add time from the clock just use negative TT. Fixed duration is NOT a limiting factor in this case...

20 Nov 2011 11:19 #52
But by that logic the magnet is just as useless since you could just use a tornado.

• marblefire
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Nov 2011 23:26 #53
Nov 19, 2011, 6:55am, rtyh12 wrote:So change the Ice Shard's size...

I don't think it would make sense for the shard to affect you differently at different sizes. Bigger ice wouldn't have greater freezing power, but a bigger cyclone would exert more pull.

• Thank you received: 10
21 Nov 2011 02:48 #54
Nov 20, 2011, 3:26pm, marblefire wrote:But a bigger cyclone would exert more pull.

IRL, yes maybe. In MB a bigger tornado/cyclone exerts less force

Anyway, I have always though that the magnet was pretty pointless, but it is slightly different from the cyclone, in that it only exerts force from one direction (I think at least).

21 Nov 2011 22:12 #55
Nov 20, 2011, 3:26pm, marblefire wrote:
Nov 19, 2011, 6:55am, rtyh12 wrote:So change the Ice Shard's size...

I don't think it would make sense for the shard to affect you differently at different sizes. Bigger ice wouldn't have greater freezing power, but a bigger cyclone would exert more pull.

Well, you could say that, being larger, it has more cold, so it freezes you more...

Maybe it would make more sense if a more powerful IS would be bluer, or something. Is it even possible to change a hazard's color depending on its power?

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
21 Nov 2011 23:21 #56
Nov 21, 2011, 2:12pm, rtyh12 wrote:

Well, you could say that, being larger, it has more cold, so it freezes you more...

Maybe it would make more sense if a more powerful IS would be bluer, or something. Is it even possible to change a hazard's color depending on its power?

what do you want it to be, absolute zero?

um, yes, u can change it. I am sure seizure knows how to do such a thing.

• Thank you received: 15
21 Nov 2011 23:33 #57

You've never taken a physics class, have you? The temperature of an ice shard does not depend on its size. If I had a small ice cube and a huge chunk of ice incide a freezer, they will be able to freeze the food inside the freezer equally.

21 Nov 2011 23:50 #58
Nov 21, 2011, 3:33pm, andrewsears wrote:

You've never taken a physics class, have you? The temperature of an ice shard does not depend on its size. If I had a small ice cube and a huge chunk of ice incide a freezer, they will be able to freeze the food inside the freezer equally.

Larger chunks of ice can absorb more heat energy before melting.

17 Dec 2011 09:00 #59
I think its a wonderful idea, but it does seem like it could be abused.

• Thank you received: 2
01 Jan 2012 07:17 #60
Naw, it stops you dead in your tracks. It'd be hard to come up with a level-destroying technique using these. Not that it's impossible

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 1.015 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.