heart Random thoughts about Blockland

• M@s
  • M@s's Avatar Topic Author
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Thank you received: 24
07 Dec 2021 21:39 #1
Not sure whether I'm supposed to be surprised that, apparently, there was no discussion in these forums (or at least this particular section) about the titular game. I'm writing this post in somewhat of a hurry so, Go ahead and ask me some questions about it if you have anything in mind later on, I'd love to read your thoughts.

Blockland. It's that one game where all you get upon installing it is a bunch of bricks, items and tools, and a few gamemodes. Though to me and a bunch of others it's probably one of the main mediums where I could chat with people, as much as it is a sandbox game with potential and limitations.
I sinked at least 5 thousand hours into it, and I don't think it has become overly stale despite my journey that has been going on for slightly less than with Marble Blast.
The brief story of how it began - Summer of 2011, the middle of primary school, likely when I stumbled upon a YouTube video of the game when it still had terrain maps. It wasn't easily accessible, at least by my parents who didn't have the means to buy me a key for Multiplayer access, so I kind of held up on the game until Xmas 2012 when I received a key from my aunt and uncle. Thankfully, I never lost the key from almost 9 years ago so I didn't have to pay for another one.
It's still a bit of a mind blow to me. This game along with Marble Blast have essentially been one of few parts of my childhood that have actually stood the test of time, going about as strong from primary school to now, when I was about 10 to now in university... my very early 20s. While I may not be able to play as often without sacrificing good grades, I'm still attached to these games one way or another.

What's quite interesting (though not necessarily surprising) is that Blockland and Marble Blast have a large amount of overlap in coding, whereas the two communities have close to none. I only know a handful of people who have heard of Marble Blast Gold, let alone played it. This makes me a bit shocked to find some people that have played both games at some point. I might even be the only one to have played both games extensively.

Anyways, I have to wrap up all this and share more of my thoughts some other time. Again, if you're interested, I encourage you to start and keep up a friendly discussion about this game, its history, and/or other details. I'll try to respond to everyone here, which might take time, so please bear with me. :side:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Enigma

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Go'way
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Blender Enthusiast
  • Thank you received: 32
07 Dec 2021 21:52 #2
I had blockland back in 2010-11 too, and the demo as well. i asked my dad if we could get a key and he said maybe but i never ended up getting it so i only had the demo and terrains to play with.idk how much i sank into blockland but it was enough that i never really forgot about it even after i stopped playing in favor of roblox. sucks they removed terrains, those were easily the best parts of the game for me.
regarding the overlap in coding, that DTS import/export addon I've been using in blender for Marble Blast was originally written for Blockland, so there's that.
now that Brickadia is a thing i'm kinda excited to play blockland (or rather a blockland clone/remaster idk what to call it) again

Owen Maitzen 1997-2021

• M@s
  • M@s's Avatar Topic Author
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Thank you received: 24
09 Dec 2021 07:56 #3

sucks they removed terrains, those were easily the best parts of the game for me.

Badspot officially stopped supporting v20 and older versions right around v21's release, which is definitely a bummer. I recall hearing about a case where an old Blockland player (who presumably started in 2007-2008) who attempted to host a v20 server announcing it in the Master Server which was already full of v21 servers. I believe he was either restricted from hosting anything, or playing v21 online at all, wacky stuff.
I'm part of a group called B4v21 which has been hosting... pre-v21 servers since mid-2017. We have a separate Master Server, and there you have access to multiplayer with maps and all that along with support for listing older versions as well. They even made a nifty launcher for the game!
Sadly, it's much less active than the original game, but it's a relatively more tighly-knit community.

now that Brickadia is a thing i'm kinda excited to play blockland (or rather a blockland clone/remaster idk what to call it) again

As for Brickadia - that game looks pretty good. So far it's the only brick game I played which can utilize modern hardware to run fast and smooth while also having great graphics. I have considered moving over there once the Blockland playerbase dies out completely, or Brickadia receives an Add-On and Event system, but I'm not sure what's more likely to happen first. Hopefully some huge development comes within the next couple of years, because I'm not really convinced to play that game for now, but at the same time I really want to keep playing Blockland as that game still has tons of potential to be utilized despite using an old game engine.

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.749 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.