file Myst (and its sequels)

• Thank you received: 15
04 Feb 2010 05:18 #1
In my opinion, the Myst series is the best adventure game series out there today. Basically, each game features special books called linking books that serves as portals to different worlds, or Ages. There are two aspects of the games that appeal to me, as well as other fans. The most important (for me) is the exploration of these highly realistic worlds - taking in the sounds, the scenery, the wildlife, and the ambience of each one. It is amazing to me how immersive and realistic the worlds are, and that is due to the incredible graphics (even in 1993, when the original game was released). The second one is the puzzles. Each Age contains puzzles that require math, logic/reasoning, and/or analytical skills to solve, and many of them involve pushing buttons, pulling levers, turning wheels, or figuring out a sequence of numbers or symbols to progress. I love the Ah HA! moments that come when I've figured out a tough puzzle.

If any of you have played any of the games, and want to discuss them, or if you're hopelessly stuck somewhere in one of the games, this is the thread to do so. I hope to find other people to share my love for these games with.

There are five games in the series:

Myst (released in 1993)

Riven: The Sequel to Myst (released in 1997)

Myst III: Exile (released in 2001)

Myst IV: Revelation (released in 2004)

Myst V: End of Ages (released in 2005)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 10
04 Feb 2010 11:36 #2
Played the first one, I thought I would love it, but I hated it. Oh Woe!

• Thank you received: 0
04 Feb 2010 12:51 #3
They're OK, but too many involve randomly guessing a level or stumbling upon something hidden. One of them is good (not sure) but the others are crap. Horribly crap.

• Thank you received: 18
04 Feb 2010 15:23 #4
Upstarts and rogues. Never heard of them.
--Bugs Bunny

04 Feb 2010 15:23 #5
*looks at game stack* nope, don't have it

04 Feb 2010 17:44 #6
I played Myst 1 not all too long ago, and thought it was pretty cool but never managed to complete it. Many years before that I had an opportunity to play Riven, but only managed to stumble my way through...like, none of it. (I remember being forced to switch the disk a whole ton.) Never touched the others.

• J@ckRB
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • *some self-degrading humour*
  • Thank you received: 164
04 Feb 2010 19:19 #7
Never heard of Myst at all.

P.SRiblet has 1337 posts.

"funny quote" - funny person 2016 part 2 electric boogaloo

• whirligig
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Thank you received: 261
05 Feb 2010 03:29 #8
OMG congrats Riblet!

ON TOPIC:
Yeah, I've played Myst, Riven, and Exile. Pretty cool games. I do get Oaky's random guess point, though.

(SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER)

There's this one part in the Stoneship age where you find an empty desk. Then you click it and a book comes out of the desk. How are you supposed to guess that?! Also, the part where you had to crank the generator 50+ times was annoying.

• davidjl123
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Intermediate Marbler
05 Feb 2010 04:34 #9
Ditto what J@ckrb said.

05 Feb 2010 06:22 #10
I have the original on the shelf beside me. It was a fascinating game, but I never got very far in it. I know there's an iTouch App for it now.

05 Feb 2010 18:03 #11
Feb 4, 2010, 7:29pm, whirligig wrote:OMG congrats Riblet!

ON TOPIC:
Yeah, I've played Myst, Riven, and Exile. Pretty cool games. I do get Oaky's random guess point, though.

(SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER)

There's this one part in the Stoneship age where you find an empty desk. Then you click it and a book comes out of the desk. How are you supposed to guess that?! Also, the part where you had to crank the generator 50+ times was annoying.

1.) No puzzles in the Myst games should have to be done through brute force or trial and error. If you are feeling like you need to do so, you probably missed a clue somewhere. Every puzzle has hints on how to solve them, some harder to find than others, but they are there.

2.) I think I know what you're referring to with the book coming out of the desk (it was the Myst linking book at the end, and I think it's actually a table). I don't think it's that random - the table's the only object in the room, so for me it was obvious that I had to try clicking on it to make anything happen.

3.) As for the generator, you do know you can click and HOLD it instead of clicking hundreds of times.

• Thank you received: 64
20 Feb 2010 00:18 #12
Never heard of it before. Sounds good though 'cause I like math, puzzles, etc.

Feb 4, 2010, 10:22pm, marblefire wrote:I know there's an iTouch App for it now.

Imma check it out.

• MadMarioSkills
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
20 Feb 2010 07:33 #13
I usually can't find what to do after a few levels on most puzzle games, so I just start randomly clicking everywhere, then try again.

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.935 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.