file [WEEKLY] Week 3: Static Shapes (and dynamic ones)

• whirligig
  • whirligig's Avatar Topic Author
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Thank you received: 261
22 Jun 2015 03:12 #1
Week 3: Update and Goals

Week 2 almost went a bit behind as scheduling is concerned, but I was able to finish stuff up. Today, I added marble sound effects (a quick, rudimentary version) and jumping (a pain in the butt).

This week's primary goal is DAE/DTS Shapes: to add the ability to put arbitrary DTS/DAE shapes into the physics and interact with them. Levels are mainly going to be built out of these, so this is certainly an important thing to support.

This week's secondary goal is Shape Animation: to allow DTS/DAE shapes to have movement and movement paths, so that you can have the equivalent of MPs (or rotating platforms, etc.).

I apologize for not getting Friday's stream on YouTube yet, but it'll be up soon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SourSpitballs
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Hello There
  • Thank you received: 3
22 Jun 2015 07:08 #2
Wow,nice to see the mod is going quickly!

Marble Blast Boyo

• Thank you received: 123
23 Jun 2015 12:12 #3
Are the shapes you plan to test going to be overly-complicated, or will they be initially simple in design? I'd like to see how collision and animation works out, especially one with a very complicated geometry. I think Torque has had difficulty simulating shapes to that extend.

What tool/utility are you using for your shapes? Blender?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeff

• whirligig
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
23 Jun 2015 23:45 #4
The stream is on YouTube! Or, well, should be as soon as it finishes processing.

The first thing I'll test will most likely be the Learning to Roll level, which will also let me know how bad some of the glitches I've heard of actually are when they manifest themselves. Collision should work mostly fine (no "get stuck on the edge" glitch like Torque has). The one issue I've heard of involves bouncing on the edge between two parallel triangles that touch each other. You can actually observe this in Simulacrum if you roll back and forth over the line between two platforms on the wider part.

Yes, I'm using Blender.

• whirligig
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
26 Jun 2015 11:21 #5
New stream tonight at 8 PM Central!

• Technostar
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • I Factorial
  • Thank you received: 40
26 Jun 2015 17:01 #6
Hopefully I can watch!

System.out.println("Hello");

• Thank you received: 123
27 Jun 2015 01:06 #7
Psst: starts now!

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.816 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.