file [WEEKLY] Week 6: Level Up!

• whirligig
  • whirligig's Avatar Topic Author
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Thank you received: 261
13 Jul 2015 03:33 #1
Sorry for getting this up a bit late at night; I've been trying to rest a bit today after staying up late last night.

This week's primary goal is Level 1 Functionality: actually making a level, guys! Now, I have no concept of how long each of these levels is going to take to make, especially since they'll all contain custom code and such. But making a level is really the only way to know for sure how long it'll take me to make a level, right? I'll be focusing on functionality (as opposed to art) at first, because that's obviously more important.

This week's secondary goal is Level 1 Aesthetics: the art part of it that I mentioned not including earlier. This would include stuff like textures, fleshing out some of the scenery, etc. Do keep in mind that I have no idea whether I'll even finish the primary goal in one week; this level could take two weeks, or three. But regardless, I'll get a significant chunk of work done this week.

The level I'll be making will be the first level in the game; don't necessarily expect all of the levels to be made in sequential order (if you've been paying attention to the development process, you'll know there isn't one sequential order to begin with). The main point of this level will just be teaching the player to roll, jump, etc., so don't expect too much in the way of custom code; however, I will need to add code and such for some of the main gameplay objects, the ones that appear in every level.

I'm looking forward to actually seeing a level get built!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 67
13 Jul 2015 13:48 #2
I'm also looking forward to the first level! No more Learning To Roll test level. ;)

• TheTinyToilet
  • New Marbler
  • New Marbler
  • I use level editor only
  • Thank you received: 1
13 Jul 2015 19:40 #3
All this seems very interesting! Good luck with the level making!

[Lord Knight used Armageddon Blade so this Content is Deleted but not Deleted]

• whirligig
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
17 Jul 2015 01:06 #4
I've run into a big hurdle as far as level creation goes -- something I had counted on being able to use depends on the original MBG physics. I'll explain more tomorrow during the stream. Anyway, this means that although the design for the level is done (sort of), some of the implementation details won't be done until the end of next week. So, sorry about this! I'll allot more time for level design itself in the future, as it took longer than expected.

On the bright side, the stream from last week is up! I haven't put up the Project Dragon parts yet, though; you'll have to wait for those.

• whirligig
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
17 Jul 2015 12:35 #5
Stream will be tonight at 8 PM Central!

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.813 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.