file macOS Catalina and Marble Blast

• HiGuy
  • HiGuy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
10 Oct 2019 02:50 #1
macOS Catalina was released this Monday and has removed support...

macOS Catalina was released this Monday and has removed support for 32-bit applications. Marble Blast, and by extension, PlatinumQuest, will not run on macOS Catalina. If you want to continue playing Marble Blast on macOS, do not update past macOS Mojave.

Future builds of PlatinumQuest will continue to support the same versions of macOS (10.7 - 10.14) but if you update your computer there are a few alternative ways to play:

• Install a Windows Virtual Machine and play the Windows version of PlatinumQuest.
  • Install a Linux Virtual Machine and play the Windows version via WinE or Proton.
  • Hopefully in time, CodeWeavers will update WinE on macOS to support running 32-bit programs.

Thanks for playing with us for all these years. We'll let you know if we add support for running PlatinumQuest on macOS Catalina.

- HiGuy

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jiquor
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • STOPX Creator
  • Thank you received: 155
10 Oct 2019 05:32 #2
About CodeWeavers - their applications are great, and I have been using CrossOver for five years. As far as I know, there were no plans to expand to 32-bit software, but now that Catalina is removing 32 bit support for most applications, I am sure they are trying to come up with solutions to make a 64-bit Crossover as we write this..

Let us not give up hope, and let us pester Codeweavers for inquiries if we have to.

- Isoplere

STOPX Creator. Getting better by every release.

• Nathan125
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Thank you received: 8
11 Oct 2019 01:28 #3
I'm still on High Sierra, so I'm good. X3

• Josep_Nollette
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
13 Oct 2019 05:19 #4
In all honesty it is much easier to run an older version of Windows on a virtual machine than it is to run an older version of Mac OS X on the same. To run older PowerPC apps on an Intel "Mac" sold after Lion came out, one had to purchase Snow Leopard Server (the 'Client' version is not legally supported) and run it via a virtual machine. This was one thing that made me, hitherto a Mac fan, lose interest in the Mac platform and buy a Windows-based PC in March 2016.

IMHO the Mac died in 2006 when they ditched the PowerPC CPU in favor of Intel's x86 architecture. From 1984 up until 2006, one thing that made the Macintosh stand out from the IBM PC and compatible systems was its use of a CPU not named Intel 80x86. As a result, Macs at the time couldn't run Windows, and IBM-compatibles couldn't run contemporary versions of Mac OS. For this reason, I hesitate to call these Intel PCs with an Apple logo on them 'Macs' anymore. On the other hand, 'Apple PC' doesn't have the same ring to it.
To this day Apple is the last 'old-school' computer company to tie its own in-house-developed OS with its own hardware instead of bundling another company's OS and separate drivers like with Dell, HP and Lenovo. Had Apple not been so short-sighted as to restrict the Intel-versions of Mac OS X to its own computers in 2006, maybe then they'd have an install base comparable to that of Windows, and they wouldn't have to ditch 32-bit software compatibility.

• Thank you received: 0
27 Mar 2020 19:13 - 28 Mar 2020 14:57 #5
I think you will be able to run the Windows versions on Mac using Windows Is Not An Emulator (AKA wine) wine lets you open Windows apps on unix software (Linux, Mac OS X)

The statement above is true
Last edit: 28 Mar 2020 14:57 by Omochao. Reason: More information added

• HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
28 Mar 2020 00:02 #6
Yes, as of a few months ago CrossOver added support for 32-bit windows applications, including Marble Blast. If you want to spend $40-$60 on it (or attempt to get the free version working), then you should be able to play Marble Blast. Note this is not a supported configuration at this time so support will be limited.

Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }

28 Mar 2020 02:41 #7
If you want to run Marble Blast on Catalina, I'd just recommend you throw together a Mojave virtual machine or a Windows virtual machine using your virtualization software of choice. I didn't actually do that because my Windows 10 machine runs just fine, but it's probably your best bet.

stop taking my gems

03 Apr 2020 18:10 #8
They would have had to switched, they were pretty much the only people bringing PPC to consumer markets, and with the really low use of PowerPC it became more for office computers and servers. Also, Macs have always been PCs, because a mac is a computer, and PC stands for Personal computer.
also they ditched powerpc because they wanted it to run windows. which is a bit funny because macs will not run on windows hardware.
Given that, you probably should run it off of Boot Camp, becuase it is faster than virtual machines. If you dont want to partition your disk, you can install it on an external hard disk.

final thing, what does IMHO stand for? imo stands for In my opinion, but what does the H mean?:side:

The statement above is true

• Josep_Nollette
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
03 Apr 2020 20:28 - 03 Apr 2020 20:33 #9

Macs have always been PCs, because a mac is a computer, and PC stands for Personal computer.

Yeah, I kinda understood that Macs have always been personal computers even during their M68k and PPC days. However, when you bring up 'PC', not everyone will define it as a consumer-level computer regardless of its CPU architecture or OS; some will instead define it as one designed to run Windows. One example is the way covers for computer games distributed on CD- or DVD-ROM, and sometimes the discs themselves, mention 'PC' for Windows games and 'PC/MAC' for dual Windows-Mac OS games, and the physical eGames version of Marble Blast is no exception to the former.
In other words, not everyone realizes that 'PC' isn't restricted to x86/64 computers that [strike]run[/strike] come shipped with Windows.

final thing, what does IMHO stand for? imo stands for In my opinion, but what does the H mean?

H for 'honest'.
Last edit: 03 Apr 2020 20:33 by Josep_Nollette.

• Red_zone
  • Novice Marbler
  • Novice Marbler
  • when that cold brew hits
  • Thank you received: 2
06 Apr 2020 13:27 #10
Note: If you want high performance and top notch frame-rate, i suggest you should use VMWare. I tried running MB on VBox, and the performance was sub-par.

10 Aug 2020 12:02 #11
Please guys update Marble Blast so we can play on Mac OS Catalina.
Share your patreon, if you need us to donate.

• HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
10 Aug 2020 20:57 #12
Unfortunately due to many reasons, we don't have the ability to update the game for macOS Catalina. Your options for running on macOS are (in order of recommendation):

CrossOver: www.codeweavers.com/products
Wineskin: github.com/Gcenx/WineskinServer
Running a Windows virtual machine in Virtualbox/VMware: www.virtualbox.org/ www.vmware.com/products/fusion.html

Note that all three of these options come with significant performance penalties and we are not planning to officially support them. If you want to play on macOS natively, use an older Mac that has not been updated past macOS Mojave.

Code:

• whirligig
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Thank you received: 261
13 Aug 2020 20:12 - 13 Aug 2020 20:19 #13
It occurs to me that I don't know if the PQ devs have ever taken the time to put down in words exactly why getting PQ to run on Catalina would be such a big issue. So for posterity, I'm going to explain it as well as I understand it.

macOS Catalina removes support for applications to run in 32-bit mode. 32-bit mode is, effectively, a backwards compatibility layer that allows your processor to run as if it's an older version of the processor architecture. Most modern software has both 32-bit and 64-bit versions; often, both versions are bundled in the same package, essentially allowing the operating system to pick based on how old your computer is. From Catalina on, only the 64-bit version is supported by the operating system; it will refuse to run 32-bit software, and even if you managed to get it to, you would be missing the code that hooks it up to the operating system and lets it do things like open a window, read files, etc., which is obviously required for it to run. A 64-bit program is completely different from a 32-bit program, in the sense that the software speaks to the processor using a different form of language. So you can't really mod a game to add 64-bit support like you could mod it to add multiplayer--you would need to take all of the existing binary code and modify all of it.

So, that being said, if you want to play PQ on 64-bit macOS, you'll have to do one of the following:
  • Simulate a 32-bit-compatible machine from within your 64-bit machine. This is what Virtualbox and VMware do: they effectively make a "fake computer" that exists inside your real computer. It's a bit more complicated than that in practice, but you can see why this would result in a performance drop: your computer, in addition to running itself, has to dedicate resources to also running a second computer within itself.
  • [strike]Translate the 32-bit code to 64-bit code on the fly. This is what CrossOver and Wineskin do. It still has a performance drop, but it's not as big. The problem with this approach is that operating systems and processors are complicated, so these approaches will always have occasional edge cases where parts of the 32-bit system are supposed to interact in ways that the translation software doesn't understand. It's a matter of luck whether any of these edge cases end up crashing your game or similar.[/strike] EDIT: HiGuy informed me that this is technically inaccurate, and that translating 32-bit to 64-bit code on the fly is technically infeasible because it would be way too slow. Remember how I said "even if you managed to get it to [run code in 32-bit mode], you would be missing the code that hooks it up to the operating system and lets it do things like open a window, read files, etc., which is obviously required for it to run"? That's exactly what CrossOver and Wineskin do: they run the code in 32-bit mode and translate the missing 32-bit operating system calls to the corresponding 64-bit versions.
  • Translate the 32-bit code to 64-bit code once, producing a native 64-bit version. This is theoretically possible, but as far as I know, such a technology doesn't exist yet. (And if it did, it would have the same issue with edge cases as the previous approach, and probably most of the performance issues as well.) If you want this technology to exist, then you should figure out how to sell it to investors so you can start a business. As someone with only a few months of experience working in the software industry, I'm pretty sure it'll be a flop.
  • Get the source code to MBG and rebuild it as a 64-bit program. This has potential, but it would still be a significant development cost because everything would have to be examined and tweaked to make sure it works in 64-bit macOS. There's a much bigger problem here: we don't have the source code to MBG, as far as I know. If the code still exists somewhere (i.e. hasn't been deleted from the hard drives it was on), then we would likely have to get the rights to the game in order to get the source code, and IAC or whoever owns the rights right now will likely want a lot of money, to the point where everyone registered on these forums would have to contribute several hundred dollars for us to have a chance. I doubt you'll find one person in this community willing to pay several hundred dollars in order to get MB to run on 64-bit macOS.
  • Reconstruct the game from scratch as a native macOS app. In other words, the last idea would be to take our knowledge of how the game works and use that knowledge to reprogram everything from scratch in a more modern engine. If you're going to put the effort into doing that, at that point you might as well just make a new, more modern marble game. And of course, the MB devs ended up doing just that, by making MIU.

So in conclusion: there is a massive hurdle in the way of getting MBG to run natively on Catalina and later, and it's a hurdle that can't be removed by throwing money at it unless it's the kind of money that most fundraising campaigns could barely dream of having.

One last thing I will say: this might not be financially viable for many people, but for those for whom it is, I would recommend just getting a copy of Windows to run on your Mac, or even buying a Windows PC. As someone who recently released a game on Steam that I'm totally going to take a few words of hyperlink to advertise, I've been told that Apple is getting less and less hospitable to game developers in the name of preserving a very strict amount of security and control, and I'll be surprised if there isn't an uptick in the number of Windows-only (or Windows-and-Linux-only) games in the next few years. So if you play a lot of video games, it's probably a good investment.
Last edit: 13 Aug 2020 20:19 by whirligig.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HiGuy, NF, Nockess, Yoshicraft224, CylinderKnot

• Thank you received: 404
16 Aug 2020 17:52 #14
I'd also like to add that if you have an Intel-based Mac (which you do), you can download an ISO image for Windows 10 for free, and then use the built-in Boot Camp utility on your Mac, along with the ISO image, to install Windows on a separate partition on your hard drive. That's what I did on my 2014 Mac mini, and it certainly works well enough for MBG and PQ to operate smoothly.

08 Nov 2020 00:20 #15
Maybe (in a few years (3 or more) I will try (right now I don't have that much time))

• Thank you received: 3
16 May 2021 12:38 #16
use windows 10 on boot camp, might be less convient for people on m1 chip, so youll have to get, like, a raspberry pi or osmething cheap on win10arm (they can get maxed out to 8gb at 70 pounds)

• Josep_Nollette
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
18 May 2021 10:12 #17

Tynator wrote: use windows 10 on boot camp, might be less convient for people on m1 chip, so youll have to get, like, a raspberry pi or osmething cheap on win10arm (they can get maxed out to 8gb at 70 pounds)

I'm not even sure the Windows version will run on the ARM version of Windows 10 - isn't it geared towards Intel x86?

• Thank you received: 404
18 May 2021 16:07 #18
Yeah, as far as I know there's only ever been an Intel version of MBG. I think making an ARM version would either require the source code, which we can't get, or somehow rewriting the entire game which would take too much work. Also, I tried running the Windows version of MBG on an M1 Mac using WINE, but it didn't work—in fact, WINE didn't work at all.

If they end up updating WINE for M1, or future generations of Mac chips, then maybe MBG and PQ could still work that way, but for the moment there's no way to play the game on the new Macs unless something changes.

Another thing you can do, if you have an Intel Mac from early 2019 or earlier, is that you can partition your hard drive and install the version of macOS which came with your Mac on another partition to run Marble Blast there. I have a 2017 MacBook Pro, and my main partition is running macOS 11, which I use for school and just normal computer things, while I have a second, smaller partition running macOS 10.12 where I play Marble Blast. It's a good system, because then I have the good features of the newer OS for my primary partition, and I have the fast performance of the OS that came with my Mac for Marble Blast, which helps with improving performance of the game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: subtract

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 1.043 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.