• HiGuy
  • HiGuy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • At college, may not be around
More
10 Oct 2019 02:50 #1 by HiGuy
macOS Catalina and Marble Blast was created by HiGuy
macOS Catalina was released this Monday and has removed support...

macOS Catalina was released this Monday and has removed support for 32-bit applications. Marble Blast, and by extension, PlatinumQuest, will not run on macOS Catalina. If you want to continue playing Marble Blast on macOS, do not update past macOS Mojave.

Future builds of PlatinumQuest will continue to support the same versions of macOS (10.7 - 10.14) but if you update your computer there are a few alternative ways to play:

• Install a Windows Virtual Machine and play the Windows version of PlatinumQuest.
  • Install a Linux Virtual Machine and play the Windows version via WinE or Proton.
  • Hopefully in time, CodeWeavers will update WinE on macOS to support running 32-bit programs.

Thanks for playing with us for all these years. We'll let you know if we add support for running PlatinumQuest on macOS Catalina.

- HiGuy

PQ in a nutshell
function clientcmd12dothepq() {
    commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor');
}

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Isoplere
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • MarbleBlast Modifier
More
10 Oct 2019 05:32 #2 by Isoplere
Replied by Isoplere on topic macOS Catalina and Marble Blast
About CodeWeavers - their applications are great, and I have been using CrossOver for five years. As far as I know, there were no plans to expand to 32-bit software, but now that Catalina is removing 32 bit support for most applications, I am sure they are trying to come up with solutions to make a 64-bit Crossover as we write this..

Let us not give up hope, and let us pester Codeweavers for inquiries if we have to.

- Isoplere

Isoplere - Marble Blast Modder; getting better day by day, update by update.

• Nathan125
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Intermediate Marbler
More
11 Oct 2019 01:28 #3 by Nathan125
Replied by Nathan125 on topic macOS Catalina and Marble Blast
I'm still on High Sierra, so I'm good. X3

• Josep_Nollette
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
More
13 Oct 2019 05:19 #4 by Josep_Nollette
Replied by Josep_Nollette on topic macOS Catalina and Marble Blast
In all honesty it is much easier to run an older version of Windows on a virtual machine than it is to run an older version of Mac OS X on the same. To run older PowerPC apps on an Intel "Mac" sold after Lion came out, one had to purchase Snow Leopard Server (the 'Client' version is not legally supported) and run it via a virtual machine. This was one thing that made me, hitherto a Mac fan, lose interest in the Mac platform and buy a Windows-based PC in March 2016.

IMHO the Mac died in 2006 when they ditched the PowerPC CPU in favor of Intel's x86 architecture. From 1984 up until 2006, one thing that made the Macintosh stand out from the IBM PC and compatible systems was its use of a CPU not named Intel 80x86. As a result, Macs at the time couldn't run Windows, and IBM-compatibles couldn't run contemporary versions of Mac OS. For this reason, I hesitate to call these Intel PCs with an Apple logo on them 'Macs' anymore. On the other hand, 'Apple PC' doesn't have the same ring to it.
To this day Apple is the last 'old-school' computer company to tie its own in-house-developed OS with its own hardware instead of bundling another company's OS and separate drivers like with Dell, HP and Lenovo. Had Apple not been so short-sighted as to restrict the Intel-versions of Mac OS X to its own computers in 2006, maybe then they'd have an install base comparable to that of Windows, and they wouldn't have to ditch 32-bit software compatibility.

My Vimeo channel: vimeo.com/nollejos1999

Moderators: AayrlKalle29Regislian