file PlatinumQuest Update 2.5.0 is Here!

• Doomblah
  • Doomblah's Avatar Topic Author
  • Marble Blast Veteran
  • Thank you received: 83
23 Oct 2021 08:31 #1

As you all know, in the middle of March the old dev team decided to release their last update to PQ. Ever since then a new team of developers have been hard at work to bring us a new update and we are excited to announce that it is finally here! 

RandomityGuy took the time to make sure this update worked for Mac users as well as managing all the backend stuff to get the update built and pushed to everyone, this update would not have been possible without him. 

daniel741852 made all the new Marble Blast Ultra graphics and fixed some other graphical inconsistencies across the game.

main_gi fixed a ton of bugs including the gem madness bug, the teleport respawn exploit, the flair bug, and lots more, as well as adding the new experimental multiplayer modes.

Blasted made all the leaderboards levels accessible offline and added some new offline levels from Marble Blast Mobile.

Connie, along with daniel, created brand new camera paths and level previews of every single custom level on the leaderboards as well as updating all the ones for the MBU levels to show the new graphical changes. She also made multiplayer levels accessible offline.

Each of these people did so much more than that quick summary, the full changelog is listed below. Thank you to each and every single one of you for everything you’re doing to continue to keep this game alive. We hope you enjoy this new update!

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blasted, Enigma, NF, Weather, Yoshicraft224, daniel741852, Bukki13

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 401
23 Oct 2021 09:03 #2
Awesome work :)

"You know you've spelled something wrong when the only search results are Jeff convos" - HiGuy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blasted, RandomityGuy, NF, Connie, daniel741852

• HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
23 Oct 2021 09:22 #3
NGL I am overjoyed to see you guys continuing the game myself and others spent so many years of time on. Incredible work by everyone involved and it's wonderful to see new faces leading the development. Best of luck on all future updates and don't forget to tag the build ;)

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blasted, RandomityGuy, NF, Connie, Yoshicraft224, daniel741852

• petalflurry
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
  • dm hot egg pics
  • Thank you received: 10
23 Oct 2021 11:56 #4
:hype: :hype: :hype: :hype: :hype: :hype: :hype: :hype: :hype:

"cheater hakcer i want your flair gikemve me it" - MASON35, 2020
The following user(s) said Thank You: Connie

• Connie
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • i code for balls
  • Thank you received: 64
23 Oct 2021 11:58 #5

petalflurry wrote: :hype: :hype: :hype: :hype: :hype: :hype: :hype: :hype: :hype:

not enough :hype: emotes to signify the true hype of this new update

For the best Marble Blast levels, head over to:
- marbleland.vaniverse.io/pack/18

connieofro.neocities.org/

[img

• Thank you received: 31
23 Oct 2021 12:05 - 23 Oct 2021 12:06 #6
My favorite of these have to be the ones that help with optimizing performance. As someone who doesn't get as much fps as I should (thanks torque), I can't wait to see my fps on PCC and Manic Bounce now. Also love the flair/title/suffix bugfix, can't wait to see my MBU flair again. Lotta good QoL changes and other much needed ones too, can't wait to see all of these changes for myself.

Thank you guys for updating :)
Last edit: 23 Oct 2021 12:06 by Mazik. Reason: forgot to give my thanks

• Nockess
  • Respected Marbler
  • Respected Marbler
  • Cheater Supreme
  • Thank you received: 786
23 Oct 2021 12:08 #7
Massive thanks to y'all who were able to continue keeping the updates rolling, especially after a lot of talk in the past about wondering if the game was even going to see another update. An even bigger thanks to the devs who got us here in the first place. God knows where this game would've been without you.

Onwards with this new era!

Call me Chris!

Discord: Nockess#4107
YouTube: www.youtube.com/Nockess
Custom Levels: marbleland.vaniverse.io/profile/5

• Josep_Nollette
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Thank you received: 8
23 Oct 2021 21:49 #8
Thoughts on this:
1. The project isn't dead after all. Good to know.
2. Never thought the 'Rube Goldberg Course' would make it back. Years ago a 'pre-1.00' level was said to be incorporated in the then upcoming version of MBP, and, unless I gave up somehow (can't remember), I had yet to find out what that level was.
3. Is the white gem skin a new gem value? What's it worth?
4. Never thought the Time Travel timer would appear game-wide as in Marble Blast Powered Up.

• Thank you received: 1
24 Oct 2021 12:36 #9
Imma read this while my PQ installation is updating

• Thank you received: 405
29 Oct 2021 15:28 #10
Great job everyone! I'm especially excited to see Party mode here, it's already making gem hunt so much more fun! I do have a couple suggestions for it after playing it a bit by myself.

(i) The red gems shouldn't give you a super speed, for two reasons. First, it's annoying to hear "Super speed" every time you pick up a red gem, and second, it messes with the strategy of using powerups at all. Because red gems are the most common, you kind of can't effectively use powerups other than super speeds. Many times I picked up a gyrocopter or a super jump and wanted to hold it until after I was done picking up a spawn, but then I would have to pick up red gems and that would get rid of my powerup and replace it with a super speed. As the most common gem, I feel like red gems should be the ones to do absolutely nothing.

(ii) Yellow gems could refill your blast meter if you want them to do something special.

(ii) Orange gems give fireball, but I think it's a little too overpowered because you can pretty much be constantly in a fireball with the amount of orange gems that spawn. I think the fireball should last for only 10 seconds instead of 20—that would make it closer to the 5 second mega marble given by green gems, which I think is perfectly reasonable. Also, the fireball blast sound doesn't work for some reason. I don't know if it's a Mac thing but it at least doesn't work in party mode.

(iii) Blue gems should do something special—maybe freeze all your opponents for a second or give you a super bounce or something.

(iv) The platinum gems in the air are cool but annoying to get when you can't hold super jumps due to getting super speeds with every red gem. Fixing the red gems would probably fix this issue too. Or maybe red gems could give you nothing and platinums could give you gyrocopters?

That's all I have for now because I have to go to class, but once I play with someone else I'll probably have more to say. And I still have to make a post about shaders and stuff. But I'm just so happy to see this update happen, hope they keep coming! Great work everyone!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yoshicraft224

30 Oct 2021 09:49 #11
You like mode, I like that you like mode, positive words here.

When designing this mode the thing I believe was most important was "balance between routes". If you have a +10 gem it makes almost every other route worse to try, which was the original giant problem that made it a terrible braindead idea in MP before. Despite that, only half of +10 gems are set to spawn 'high and big in the air' just to try to preserve the feeling of everyone going for the same gem like Hunting Around, I guess. This idea of trying to balance out routes is why only the red gem is set to have a bonus effect.

Red gems gaining super speeds is because I really liked the idea of chaining super speeds with gems, and it seemed to reward skill, and red gems are common and you get to route for them more (if they were yellows, there would be a lot less chains except in yellow-spam maps). I did plan before the update for them to only replace your powerup if you didn't have one already, but I did not figure out how to implement it.

The Super Speed sound is actually added 'in post' and uh, buggy (in multiplayer all players can apparently hear it, and it plays at different volumes). Same thing for the cyan gem's triple blast, it may be better to have them silent but I did want a sound effect as a notification. I would not mind making it silent though.

I think fireballs are probably overpowered too (also overlapping with the blast already existing), but it's also a part of the spawning algorithm that I think is not very good right now, and that's that some parts of the match are set to have much higher gem spawns, but those tend to have a spread of spawns that are ALL high value (orange+green spam) which is not what I want.

The sound being gone from fireballs is a bug that also exists in the original game which you can find if you try to spawn on a checkpoint but you had a fireball as your stored checkpoint state - the given fireball plays no sounds. There is also another unrelated bug in MP that will display fireball effects for all players sometimes, if one player picks a fireball up. I don't know how to fix it but thought orange=fireball was too good thematically to not have it.

I think it's somewhat ironic to suggest blue -> super bounce and platinum -> gyrocopter after saying you don't like how a gem is set to overwrite your powerup, but those could be fixed with the above mentioned "only replace if empty powerup" solution. I just don't like making a high-value gem even more overpowered bonuses even though probably all of orange/green/cyan have overpowered effects right now.

I am against effects that give any player no control (freezing other players for 1 second would be one of them), even if they're not noticeable as 'waiting'. I would like to add effects that add lasting things to the map or player states (such as the black gem) but it's just a matter of implementing them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: petalflurry

• petalflurry
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
  • dm hot egg pics
  • Thank you received: 10
30 Oct 2021 10:03 #12
> I would like to add effects that add lasting things to the map or player states (such as the black gem)

dumb idea, but what if blue gem = blue shell? it could maybe like remove 3 points from the lead player and make their marble small

"cheater hakcer i want your flair gikemve me it" - MASON35, 2020

• Yoshicraft224
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
  • no
  • Thank you received: 51
31 Oct 2021 04:09 #13
I think the blue shell thing is a cool idea, but maybe instead of removing points from the lead player it could be even more similar to the blue shell and maybe just launch them up in the air or something

brapdoors mbg #OhBoyFreeAM!

01 Nov 2021 00:20 #14
the "blue shell" design in that party game is poorly interpreted in the sense that a god damn lot of people analyzing the blue shell don't realize there's a distinction of whether such a 'comeback mechanic' item just shortens the lead the 1st player has...

or if it has the opportunity to pull the 1st player down to 2nd place (that is the "blue shell" kind of mechanic), that is a toxic mechanic because it adds a zone where you can get punished for doing better in the match

now in some games there's mitigation or avoidance and tying it to blues does allow the leading player to have to continue playing well the whole match by basically having to go for blues every time, which i don't have a problem with (besides the distance luck based aspect, but that could be fixed with fairer spawning algorithm), but it will mess with any games that have close scores, so such a mechanic would only be considered if it activated if the player was already far ahead

thematic wise, if the game had supreme collision physics, the blue shell would either be some sort of meteor you could try to dodge, or going mega marble for like 3 seconds and super speeding into a target opponent, I think those would make better themes

• Yoshicraft224
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
  • no
01 Nov 2021 03:37 #15
Maybe the lead player gets a warning (like Mario Kart) and they only get launched if they're going under a certain speed or something? That's kind of how it works in Mario Kart except you need to speed up at a specific point in time... Maybe just going a different enough speed from your speed at the time of the warning? The abundance of SSs due to reds would help make this not so annoying as well.

brapdoors mbg #OhBoyFreeAM!

• Thank you received: 0
10 Nov 2021 16:41 #16
Looks like there is some graphical issues with the MBU astrolabe as well as a animation problem. I don't know if you had to remake it or what, but I do have a FBX version laying around somewhere that should work.

• Thank you received: 14
14 Nov 2021 15:58 #17
MBU Levels Are More Like MBU Now

• YepfillonMB
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
  • The only Greek person in here.
  • Thank you received: 8
19 Nov 2021 18:20 #18
Great work guys i seee you put a lot of effort in your updates

I visit this website once in a decade, it's a tradition now.

• Thank you received: 3
22 Nov 2021 16:26 #19
I love the ported MBU's skybox and shapes. Awesome job to all of you. You took the whole MB's development to next level.

18 Apr 2022 21:49 #20
is it for windows 11

• Thank you received: 2
09 Sep 2022 15:04 #21
I'm wait pq in web

• Connie
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • i code for balls
  • Thank you received: 64
09 Sep 2022 15:14 #22
you're mother

For the best Marble Blast levels, head over to:
- marbleland.vaniverse.io/pack/18

connieofro.neocities.org/

[img

09 Sep 2022 15:56 #23
Webport supports PQ WHERe!?!?!?!?!??!?!?

• Nora
  • New Marbler
  • New Marbler
  • clicker counter
17 Dec 2022 10:22 #24
created brand new camera paths and level previews of every single custom level on the leaderboards as well as updating all the ones for the MBU levels to show the new graphical changes. She also made multiplayer levels accessible offline.
Each of these people did so much more than that quick summary, the full changelog is listed below. Thank you to each and every single one of you for everything you’re doing to continue to keep this game alive. We hope you enjoy this new update!
clickercounter.org/

• Yoshicraft224
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
  • no
17 Dec 2022 12:05 - 17 Dec 2022 12:05 #25
Last edit: 17 Dec 2022 12:05 by Yoshicraft224. Reason: epic embed fail

09 Jul 2023 11:49 #26
hi

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 1.028 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.