file OSX 10.6 support DROPPED

• Jeff
  • Jeff's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
  • PlatinumQuest Programmer
  • Thank you received: 205
20 Aug 2014 23:58 - 21 Aug 2014 00:03 #1
As of now, Marble Blast Platinum 1.50 RC1 will have no more support for OSX 10.6 "snow leopard". If you are a mac user who is using 10.6, there are a couple of things you can do.
  1. Upgrade to OSX 10.9 mavericks, which is a free upgrade from Apple
  2. Download Wine which is a free windows run time to allow windows versions of applications on Intel based OSX

Sorry for the inconvenience, but it is too old to continue supporting. It is as the saying goes, "Beating a dead horse over and over again."

- Jeff and the Platinum Team

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.
Last edit: 21 Aug 2014 00:03 by Jeff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 123
21 Aug 2014 00:02 #2
MAC OS X TIGER LIVES FOREVEr.

• Buzzmusic
  • Developer
  • Developer
  • I make levels and songs.
  • Thank you received: 145
21 Aug 2014 01:46 #3
That's a shame, but thanks so much for trying, Platinum Team. :) I'll upgrade my computer sometime soon.

All posts from my account that were made before July 29 2013 are from the point of view of my dad unless it states otherwise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeff

• Perishingflames
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Thank you received: 21
21 Aug 2014 04:50 #4
Snow Leopard is only 5 years old. Hell, Apple still sells it. Is it really that much effort to compile for 10.6?

• HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
21 Aug 2014 04:59 #5
Turns out, it is.

The libraries we are using in the extender are using C++11, a new version of the C++ specification. They're linked with libc++, which supports C++. All versions of Mac OS X 10.7 and above have libc++, with C++11 support (or got it in a patch), however 10.6 doesn't include this library. 10.6 includes libstdc++, which is like libc++ but only supports the older C++ standards (C++2003 if I recall correctly). This poses a challenge, as we can't compile with the old standard, and we can't really bundle the new libraries onto 10.6. Short of recompiling the compiler and going super duper crazy, we just decided to drop support until we make any progress with it.

TL;DR - 10.6 was before 2011, doesn't have C++11 support, we use C++11.

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeff, StewMan46

• Jeff
  • Jeff's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
  • PlatinumQuest Programmer
  • Thank you received: 205
21 Aug 2014 05:00 #6
Just replied to you on facebook, higuy beat me to a post.

Apple deprecates their stuff so fast. You basically have to be expecting to upgrade when you buy a mac. If you don't wanna update and keep up, you shouldn't be using a mac, period.

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.

• Perishingflames
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Thank you received: 21
21 Aug 2014 05:20 #7
Well that's a bummer. I'll probably upgrade to Yosemite when it's released. I still encourage you to keep exploring options though for those who are unable to upgrade.

• Thank you received: 401
21 Aug 2014 06:52 #8
We're trying as hard as we can to offer support to as many people as possible, trust me, but the fact of the matter is that Apple has made it rather difficult for new programs to be compatible with OS X 10.6. The latest version of the C++ standard, C++11, isn't supported on 10.6 by the compiler included with XCode, and offering support for it requires that we custom compile the compiler and statically link to the C++ standard library. (And no, using an older version of the C++ standard isn't an option either.) This would be rather difficult for HiGuy and Jeff to do, and thus we figured that it would not be worth spending time on. As Jeff mentioned, you should still be able to play the game through WINE or CrossOver if you aren't willing to upgrade.

And on that note, I'm proud to announce that MBP 1.50 will be receiving a Linux port, and that we're looking into a way to avert the administrator requirement on Windows. :)

"You know you've spelled something wrong when the only search results are Jeff convos" - HiGuy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Perishingflames, Jeff

• Eguy
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • Booper Supreme
  • Thank you received: 208
21 Aug 2014 15:43 #9
Quite a bummer. Thanks for trying though. I'll update soon.

"it's the internet eguy. where children are men. men are monkeys, and women are PQ."
-Jeff 2014

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 1.205 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.