file New Terms of Service and Colored Username Updates

• HiGuy
  • HiGuy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
06 Mar 2016 21:30 #1
Hey everyone, we have a major announcement to make: We are updating the community's Terms of Service.
These new Terms of Service have been simplified dramatically to make them much easier to read and understand. We have clarified them and hope that you will take the time to read them. They are available to read at this link, and you will be prompted to agree to them when you next log into the Leaderboards.

On a lighter note, we are changing the policy for earning a colored name. From now on, colored names will be awarded to any player who beats all 281 Gold/Platinum times on the Leaderboards. Note that when PlatinumQuest releases, we will add its levels' Platinum Times to the requirement list too, so you should grab it while it's still easy! Those who previously had colored names will be able to keep theirs.
If you already meet the requirements for a colored name, go open your achievements in-game on the Leaderboards to trigger the award system. It will assign you a random color at first, but you can change it by editing your profile.

- The MarbleBlast.com Staff

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }
The following user(s) said Thank You: Punished_Pitaya

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nathan125
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Thank you received: 8
07 Mar 2016 17:06 #2
where is the I accept Botten

• Nockess
  • Respected Marbler
  • Respected Marbler
  • Cheater Supreme
  • Thank you received: 786
07 Mar 2016 18:32 - 07 Mar 2016 18:34 #3

Nathan125 wrote: where is the I accept Botten

button*

The "I Accept" button only shows up in game before you first login to multiplayer. There's no reason for the button to be here since people can view the ToS there without logging in. If you don't accept the ToS in game, you won't be able to login to multiplayer until you do press the "I Accept" button.
Another thing I might add (aside from what I just explained) is that I think that it's too easy to get a colored username. Both HiGuy and Jeff have mentioned this and I've recently been trying to think of extra things one would need to do to unlock the ability to have a colored username. Here's a small list:

• 500+ Posts on the forums (May cause spam though.)
  • 100+ Thank You's (Also may cause spam.)
  • 1500+ Achievement Points in your Profile (Points from both forums and ingame achievements can apply.)
  • Be a member for at least a year.
  • [strike]Be loved by Jeff[/strike]
  • More than 500 or 1000 hours on Marble Blast
Basically a lot of these suggestions I've come up with are focusing on being an active member of the community. List may update in the future if any more ideas come to mind.

Call me Chris!

Discord: Nockess#4107
YouTube: www.youtube.com/Nockess
Custom Levels: marbleland.vaniverse.io/profile/5
Last edit: 07 Mar 2016 18:34 by Nockess.

• Kalle29
  • I blame ping for losing
  • Thank you received: 754
07 Mar 2016 18:33 #4

༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽ You have been visited by the Nivea™ Donger of moisture. Soft skin and good fortune will come to you, but only if you post "thank you Mr. Skeltal" in this thread ༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeff, Lee, J@ckRB, Three, Derpky, NF, Nockess, Rock, Xedron

• Thank you received: 401
07 Mar 2016 19:59 #5

Rozi wrote: Basically a lot of these suggestions I've come up with are focusing on being an active member of the community. List may update in the future if any more ideas come to mind.

Well, something that you need to realize is that being an active member of the community isn't the same as being a helpful member of the community. Formerly our criteria was basically that people had to be helpful in some way, but we changed this because it led to a lot of favoritism which not everyone liked.

Rozi wrote:

• 500+ Posts on the forums (May cause spam though.)
  • 100+ Thank You's (Also may cause spam.)
  • 1500+ Achievement Points in your Profile (Points from both forums and ingame achievements can apply.)

As you said, these will just lead to spam for the most part. Not happening.

Rozi wrote:

• Be a member for at least a year.
  • More than 500 or 1000 hours on Marble Blast

This arbitrarily holds people back, and how long someone has been a member doesn't really matter when it comes to community impact. What if someone who just joined happens to be the best player we've ever seen?

Rozi wrote: [strike]Be loved by Jeff[/strike]

This is too easy because Jeff loves literally everyone. Change that to Matan and we might have a...challenge.

Anyway, I don't really know if the criteria are worth changing at this point. We wanted to choose something that was based purely off of game skill. One alternate thing we discussed was to make it be all UTs instead of PTs, but some of us thought that would be making it too hard. Also, once PQ comes out then there will be a lot more levels added to the requirement.

"You know you've spelled something wrong when the only search results are Jeff convos" - HiGuy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeff, J@ckRB, Tue27, Nockess, Rock, Xedron

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
  • Thank you received: 447
08 Mar 2016 19:32 - 08 Mar 2016 19:36 #6
Is there no longer a reward for a 'community contribution'. or is earning all PTs/GTs considered a community contribution?

I'm not sure if anyone will agree with me on this, but it seems to me as though those who previously had colored names (without being staff members) i.e. me, nobody, kurt, xelna etc are getting somewhat gypped of an award.

This post certainly might be taken as a complaint, but I think I am raising a fair point, and I am not trying to argue with this decision any farther than telling my point of view on it. To sum this up, I am asking why the new colored name policy was added.

Derpking said that: "Formerly our criteria was basically that people had to be helpful in some way, but we changed this because it led to a lot of favoritism which not everyone liked."
Is 'favoritism' the sole reason for adding this?
Last edit: 08 Mar 2016 19:36 by Frostfire.

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
  • PlatinumQuest Programmer
  • Thank you received: 205
08 Mar 2016 22:49 #7
It's to help even the playing field so that favoritism does not have to be taken into consideration. Favoritism is bad as it is biased and the recipient has no control over it. It's about fairness and leveling the playing field. I'm sorry if you feel like you were gypped out on this, but I think in the long run having objective measures over subjective measures is for the benefit of the community.

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.

• Thank you received: 405
08 Mar 2016 23:26 - 08 Mar 2016 23:26 #8
For the benefit of the greater good, what does that mean, Jeff?
Last edit: 08 Mar 2016 23:26 by NF.

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
  • Thank you received: 447
09 Mar 2016 01:34 #9
I will agree to disagree then. Thanks for responding :)

• Thank you received: 405
09 Mar 2016 01:56 #10
Okay, that makes sense. Getting all of the Gold/Platinum Times is hard enough—I have 112 and can't make any progress except for Catwalks probably.

• Thank you received: 198
10 Mar 2016 10:01 - 10 Mar 2016 10:01 #11
By all 281 gold/platinum times, does it include custom levels? (Please no ;-; )

lee is awesome
Last edit: 10 Mar 2016 10:01 by Lee.

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.875 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.