file MBG Single Segment Speedrun (potentially for SDA)

• Marson
  • Marson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Thank you received: 156
06 Sep 2013 03:49 #1
I've loved SpeedDemosArchive ever since I first laid my eyes on it. I always thought it would be cool to have my own speedrun in the SDA database.

Unfortunately, I've only ever been good at speedrunning one game: Marble Blast. The current records for SDA are absolutely ridiculous; so ridiculous that I only have 1 world record (2 if you count ties).

I considered doing a Single Segment speedrun for MBG, which is basically a run where you beat all of the levels, one after another. I planned out all my paths and stuff, but I never got around to it because I later thought that Marble Blast wasn't really made for Single Segment runs, because you have to click from one level to another. I scrapped the idea.

A year later, Pascal and I started racing on SpeedRunsLive... loads of fun.

Pascal brought up that a Single Segment run of MBG for SDA would be very fun and interesting to see. I remembered my year-old ideas. I became very excited because I finally have a way to contribute a speedrun to the great SDA.

I've done 4 attempts so far. There were all streamed, and none of them have been recorded. There were mainly for practice and testing purposes.

All of my attempts as of now:

Attempt#-Total Time (hours:minutes)
1-1:08
2-1:02
3-Ragequit
4-0:52

The 52 minute run was very successful, with only a handful of hiccups and a few major mishaps. I would like to point out that I actually restarted MBG during that run because I encountered a strange glitch.

A few notes:
-Most levels are not done using the WR paths, as some paths are extremely difficult to replicate in one try.
-The time clicking between levels needs to be quick. It counts.
-I set the qualified level for each difficulty at 1. I think it is most reasonable and fair to play without any records whatsoever.
-Time Travels should not be collected, as the time is measured in Elapsed Time and Time Travels do not affect it (unless the level's fastest path involves getting TTs, e.g.: Time Trial)
-Traplaunches will not be attempted due to their low success rates.

I think that a 43 minute run will be worthy of an SDA submission. 43 minutes is my goal as of now.

I'll update this thread with more information and times. Please leave any comments you may have, and wish me luck!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 52
06 Sep 2013 03:53 #2
Very interesting. This has a lot of potential. Most of your 0:52 run was good. Once we get the best consistent routes for each level (no TTs), it's going to be fun. Then, we could consider submitting to SDA.

I think 40:00 or 39:00 is possible.

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
  • Thank you received: 912
06 Sep 2013 10:20 #3
Traps not attempted? GDR should seriously be tried as it's the easiest to pull off. Even if you mess up two attempts managing the third is totally worth it if it works. I'll admit, GD is also very plausible if you practice well enough to get a feel. There is one not so safe trap that can save you plenty of time though, and a safe one. The safe one however can still fail, but I would still hit it because both are actually way more consistent than trying to do the sub-20 route.

Skyscraper 1:12 min should be first goal, and then practice hard for the sub-1 min no-trap route because I know it's super easy once you get your practice down pat.

Considering it's SS I would still try for a really good run. Don't settle for 10th attempt. Try at least 30-50 and implement some WR routes. With practice your consistency should be excelling. There's no reason not to do some really good routes (e.g. Pathways sub-30) since they're simple and they aren't that hard with practice.

Finally, one could argue that MBP 1.50 could be the best one despite it not being MBG, as the challenge mode automatically loads the next level, so you skip all menus.

I would say sub-45 as first goal. Sub-40 if your name is Pascal.

"matan, now i get what you meant a few years back when you said that "the level in mbg is beyond me" after the last rampage i noticed things were insane, and now i truly feel that too" - Dushine, 2015.

• Thank you received: 14
06 Sep 2013 21:29 #4
Sept 6, 2013, 3:20am, admin wrote:Skyscraper 1:12 min should be first goal, and then practice hard for the sub-1 min no-trap route because I know it's super easy once you get your practice down pat.Do you mean the 48 second path that is 58 seconds elapsed time?

A time can be beaten, but a path can't be rediscovered. The best path stays forever.

06 Sep 2013 22:02 #5
Skyscraper -
first path

Edit : Raced Nihahhat today and I got 50:50 (WR for now, but a lot of stupid mistakes).

• Marson
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
09 Sep 2013 01:50 #6
Update: Got a 49:06 today, which is the current WR. Still seeing lots of room for improvement, though.

Sept 6, 2013, 3:20am, admin wrote:Traps not attempted? GDR should seriously be tried as it's the easiest to pull off. Even if you mess up two attempts managing the third is totally worth it if it works.

I've been thinking about this a lot, and IMO, it's not worth it. It's plausible, yes, but FAR too inconsistent of a trick to attempt in the middle of an SS run. When Pascal and I race Pascal seems to always say he wastes time attempting the traplaunch.

If I ever do a segmented run, I'll be sure to implement some traplaunches.

09 Sep 2013 01:57 #7
Imo I don't think a segmented run would worth it because we already have individual levels.

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
09 Sep 2013 02:05 #8
Yeah segmented won't be considered due to the ILs. SS is fine.

Also I saw the way you trap and it was really bad, no wonder you failed GD/GDR easily.

"matan, now i get what you meant a few years back when you said that "the level in mbg is beyond me" after the last rampage i noticed things were insane, and now i truly feel that too" - Dushine, 2015.

• Marson
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
09 Sep 2013 03:36 #9
Sept 8, 2013, 6:57pm, xelna wrote:Imo I don't think a segmented run would worth it because we already have individual levels.

Yeah you're right, will probably do a segmented run for fun though.

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
09 Sep 2013 03:39 #10
Do 100 segments for ultra optimisation

09 Sep 2013 04:44 #11
Sept 8, 2013, 8:39pm, admin wrote:Do 100 segments for ultra optimisation

Already on SDA.

• Marson
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
10 Sep 2013 04:22 #12
Actually, a 100 segment run would be different from ILs. The time between levels would count, and it would be measured in elapsed time.

Another attempt today: 52 min. Was going well until the later levels trolled me and made me fall off in the dumbest ways possible.

10 Sep 2013 06:19 #13
Yes, it would be different. I agree. But I think it's pointless. Maybe we could do single segment for each difficulty, and single segment for all 100 levels, but other than that... meh...

• Marson
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
11 Sep 2013 01:40 #14
Sept 9, 2013, 11:19pm, xelna wrote:Yes, it would be different. I agree. But I think it's pointless. Maybe we could do single segment for each difficulty, and single segment for all 100 levels, but other than that... meh...

Yeah I know it's pointless, just thought I'd point it out though

SS for each difficulty would be interesting. Beginner would have to be practically perfect to be SDA quality.

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.876 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.