file 3 Upcoming Projects!

• Joey
  • Joey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Doer of things.
  • Thank you received: 191
27 Jun 2011 04:08 #1
A lot has happened in the past few days in my musical world. I've been creating new projects, and reviving old ones. Anyways, check out three of the upcoming projects here:

Electrolyte - Hard Dubstep
Unfocussed Memory - Dubstep / Techno
Drum n Haste - DnB + Techno

I hope you guys enjoy and tell me what you think!

@RC - I used Sytrus 2 of the songs . I haven't used it once in Electrolyte because, as I've mentioned before, Harmless is my dubstep plugin.

I love you, but your attitude is like that of a shrew. Your options? Take a pill or be my kill. Might I suggest that you wear a vest. Perish in class or be banished to the land of bluegrass, where dreams don't exist as you'll be eternally pissed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Joey
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Doer of things.
27 Jun 2011 06:15 #2
Good music my friend. Very good.
But as a part time DJ myself, I know these songs are all/mostly Drum and Bass.
They aren't even slightly dubstep, perhaps a little electro even.
Also what is 'techno'? Electro, Dubstep and DnB are all sub-genres of Techno/Electronic music so how can your last song be a mixture of a genre and a sub genre of the same genre?

This is dubstep as I know it:

Dubstep = 140bpm
Electro = 120bpm
DnB = 80-90bpm (as measured every second beat)

Please don't hate me <3
Just some feedback

I love you, but your attitude is like that of a shrew. Your options? Take a pill or be my kill. Might I suggest that you wear a vest. Perish in class or be banished to the land of bluegrass, where dreams don't exist as you'll be eternally pissed.

• Joey
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Doer of things.
27 Jun 2011 06:37 #3
I don't hate you . But I disagree on some things.

Firstly, dubstep as I know it is more like this:

Wobble bass, drops, drums. I've included that...

Drum n Bass and techno can be a mixed genre in a song because in a sense DnB IS techno... In all cases? No. But imagine a techno song with the techno riffs, etc., mixed wtih punchy drums and industrial bass. There you go.

Dubstep, DnB, techno, trance, etc. are all sub-genres of electronic music (EDM).

Nextly, the tempos. You couldn't really say the assigned tempo to a genre, because anyone can variate it, as long as it has the same characteristics as the genre itself. For one thing, every single drum n bass I've ever created was either 120BPM or above. Techno songs would range between 120BPM-220BPM. That's how variated it can get. That last song you heard in the vid was 210BPM, and it's DnB. Hmm... My dubstep songs are all 160BPM.

Electronic Music is a large world to explore; it can't be tied up into a few sentences. Examples include the vast variation possible, and the large number of genres. Dubstep is clearly classified as electronic music with characteristics such as wobble bass, drops, drum variation, vocal hints, etc. Drum n Bass is similar to dubstep, as DnB shares characteristics such as variations in drums, hard bass, etc. Techno is generally classified as fast dance-themed or tribal music. This means, if you've got a dance song, yet it shares characteristics of two or even more genres, it would be a mixture of genres. I study on these things a lot, and I think I know what I'm talking about.

I'm not upset or mad at you, but I just need to get my say in this... No hard feelings .

• Joey
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Doer of things.
27 Jun 2011 08:59 #4
Thanks.

I understand what you're saying.
But from a DJ perspective, BPM is everything.

Music in the DJ world is classified mainly by the BPM.
As that thing I posted before showed you the general BPM of each sub-genre of electronic music.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drum_and_bass

Quote:Drum and bass is usually between 160–190 BPM
As I said before 80-90 BPM on every second beat equals 160-180. Almost exactly what Wikipedia said too.

Quote:every single drum n bass I've ever created was either 120BPM or above
Thats WAY to low to be DnB. Most likely electro you're talking about there.

Lastly, that song you posted there is ELECTRO.
Read the tags. Its not Dubstep. Dubstep is always 140bpm. like.. ALWAYS - My entire collection of Dubstep is 140bpm give or take 10.

Jun 26, 2011, 11:37pm, techwarrior wrote:
Nextly,
Lol'd hard.

• Joey
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Doer of things.
27 Jun 2011 16:00 #5
I, too, get what you're saying. I understand that you're looking at this from a DJ's perspective, whereas I'm looking at it generally in music-making.

I apologize, but my DnB songs all are, well, 160+ .How you said that 120BPM is way too low for DnB. Clearly, maybe it's a bit slow. But remember that as long as the song has characteristics OF the genre, it would still be classified as that genre . What would you call a song that was like DnB but was only 120BPM?

Lastly, the dubstep thing. Your video didn't list it either. Touche . Tags aren't everything. That song was clearly dubstep: You heard talking bass, drops, voices, and drum variations. Probably the best dubstep I've ever heard. And about, once again, the tempos. ...So you're saying that my dub songs, though they have all the characteristics of dubstep, but they're 20BPM higher - they're not dubstep?

Likewise said, I know that you're seeing this from a DJ's perspective. But as a proficient music-maker myself, I must say that variation and tempo does not change the genre. Infact, I'd say that it's a good thing to try something new, such as making a DnB at 120BPM. Or even, doing what I'm trying in Drum n Haste, and making a 210BPM DnB. Experimentation is very possible in the music-making world, and it never hurts to give new things a try.

• Thank you received: 25
28 Jun 2011 00:37 #6
Ah. Nothing like a good forum music debate huh?
Well, lets leave it at this then haha.

You make some excellent points sir.
Ps. I really didn't have time to make a lengthy reply but I think we can agree on one thing.
Your music rocks

• Joey
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Doer of things.
28 Jun 2011 00:40 #7
Jun 27, 2011, 5:37pm, admiralanonymous wrote:Your music rocks

Thanks Admiral!

Atleast it wasn't a flame war. I think we both handled this very well . On to the next music debate .

• Joey
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Doer of things.
28 Jun 2011 17:40 #8
Any more comments on my songs guys? Also I've got an update about one:

Electrolyte is coming and it will be wicked! I've done some things with it I didn't expect to do! I've classified it as hard dubstep mixed with DnB, as the main wobble basses are very strong while I've variated the drums like I've never EVER done before!. I've also used the Gross Beat FL plugin to create many stutter effects, drops, pickups, digital effects, and more! Stay tuned to this mix!

I've reclassified the last song, Drum n Haste, to complete DnB. I'm going to change it a lot, and it will probably be the last song to release.

Stay tuned!

28 Jun 2011 18:21 #9
I actually liked it very much. I suck hard a dubstep. I can only do Hard Techno

• Joey
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Doer of things.
28 Jun 2011 18:37 #10
You STILL haven't showed me a song of yours! You've got to get me one RC! Which plugins do you like to use?

28 Jun 2011 19:30 #11
Usually, I use SimSynth, Wasp, Sytrus when i'm fooling around, dunno. Drumsynth Live on occasion.

• Joey
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Doer of things.
28 Jun 2011 22:07 #12
If I may suggest about the drums, the best ones that come with FL Studio IMO are here: Browser > Misc > Used in Demo Projects. I almost always use any drums I can find here. Recently, I downloaded some sample packs from VipZone. It's an entire percussion set. It's free - you should consider getting it. I do mess around with Drumaxx sometimes, but I don't think its drums are that good.

Here is what I use the other plugins for (not that you care ):

SimSynth - Synth riffs occasionally.
Wasp - Short synths or background riffs. My song, Synthetic Symphony (on YouTube), uses this plugin.
Sytrus - Don't even get me started with this one .

Do you use 3xOsc?

EDIT: Techno you make, right? I recommend downloading the Albino VST plugin. It's the ultimate techno plugin. It's free .

28 Jun 2011 22:58 #13
I know the drumaxx drums aren't good also, but whatever. Anyways, i'll get albino vst plugin .

• Joey
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Doer of things.
29 Jun 2011 00:01 #14
Haha awesome! One of the tracks I made for MBOpal is almost entirely Albino. It's a very good plugin to have especially for sci-fi stuff! That's the theme of my track.

• Joey
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Doer of things.
30 Jun 2011 07:19 #15
Woohoo I'm so excited!!!! I will be releasing my newest dubstep TOMORROW (EST Time)!

Have a hear:

EDIT: Just made a page! Like me on FaceBook!

(Go to my YouTube for the link. It won't work here )

• Joey
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Doer of things.
30 Jun 2011 19:29 #16
12-hour bump:

Any comments guys?

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.974 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.