file The Big Problem

• Joey
  • Joey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Doer of things.
  • Thank you received: 191
07 Jul 2011 03:57 #1
I was heading to the kitchen to get something to eat, and I went to my laptop. I discovered some very bad news. My hard drive has died, and I didn't back anything up. Why? Because I was sure that it would stay alive for a long time.

How does this affect anything? *laughs* Well, you see, Constructor was on there, as well as all my custom levels, .maps, .difs, whatever.

This means that I have lost every single MBS and custom level I've ever made. It was very devastating, and I was very upset. Guess what this also means? I can't make custom levels anymore!

I love you, but your attitude is like that of a shrew. Your options? Take a pill or be my kill. Might I suggest that you wear a vest. Perish in class or be banished to the land of bluegrass, where dreams don't exist as you'll be eternally pissed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0
07 Jul 2011 04:05 #2
*cries*

Sorry to hear, dude. I hope you can get the data off there somehow.

• Ian_Cordle
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • eSports Director
  • Thank you received: 10
07 Jul 2011 04:31 #3
Take it to a professional, you can get your data.

• Thank you received: 15
07 Jul 2011 04:33 #4
Ouch, that sucks. I had that happen to me a few months ago, but unfortunately my hard drive was too degraded to be able to retrieve any data from it. I hope you have better luck.

• Joey
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Doer of things.
07 Jul 2011 04:41 #5
Jul 6, 2011, 9:31pm, valentinoian wrote:Take it to a professional, you can get your data.

Yeah, for a ton of money!

I love you, but your attitude is like that of a shrew. Your options? Take a pill or be my kill. Might I suggest that you wear a vest. Perish in class or be banished to the land of bluegrass, where dreams don't exist as you'll be eternally pissed.

• Joey
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Doer of things.
07 Jul 2011 05:59 #6
Why does this mean you can't make levels anymore?
Seems that if you bought a new hard drive (You'd have to anyway),
you could just redownload constructor and start again?

EDIT: Should have used the program I made, MB BackItUp to an external HDD

• Joey
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Doer of things.
07 Jul 2011 06:04 #7
I can't make levels anymore because my laptop is the only comp I have that can run Constructor... And I don't have money for a new hard drive. I've got a few old ones I can try out, but it will still mean that I've lost all my data.

• Perishingflames
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Thank you received: 21
07 Jul 2011 06:23 #8
You can get a 250 GB hard drive for like $40 bucks. Go steal from a church or something mow some lawns..

• Joey
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Doer of things.
07 Jul 2011 06:41 #9
250 GB?? For me, that's a huge amount! Well, I do have a 500 GB external hard drive, but it's like my full storage area... That's it! I should've backed everything up on that! Stupid me... . My dad has like 10 hard drives he keeps for storage - maybe tomorrow I'll check them out. 3 or 4 of them are 80 GB, so I might hop on one of those.

• dobrakmato
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
07 Jul 2011 11:33 #10
You can boot from Linux from USB. Then you can copy all files.
I was use this to remove files from my harddrvie when it was 20 MB free space

Linux USB Installer: www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/
When you install on usb drive linux you need to set booting from USB Drvive in bios.

This will probably help you: pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/ht/bootusbflash.htm
pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ss/bootorderchange.htm

18 Jul 2011 05:53 #11
Or you can back everything up to online for $5 or for free if you know how

18 Jul 2011 08:15 #12
Jul 17, 2011, 10:53pm, georgef wrote:Or you can back everything up to online for $5 or for free if you know how

Yeah, we are so glad to have a professional among us, could you please enlighten us as well?

And you do realize that you just bumped an 11 day old topic for that comment, right?

• Joey
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Doer of things.
18 Jul 2011 17:26 #13
Meh, it's no big deal. And about your suggestion, George, there is no way to get anything off of it.

...Because...

The hard drive is PHYSICALLY broken, not dead. Even so, that's worse...

• Lambencee(Aaron_Y)
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Thank you received: 23
18 Jul 2011 17:55 #14
That's horrible, next time get dropbox and put at least your important stuff on it like your maps and level. They aren't much data so they should all fit on the free version of DB.

• Thank you received: 91
18 Jul 2011 19:03 #15
Or if you don't want to mess with cloud backups and you don't have an extra HD, you can always use a flash drive, or archive it securely (256-bit or more) on a friend's computer.

• dobrakmato
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
18 Jul 2011 19:13 #16
Is your drive definitely brokenor you just cannot boot from it?

• Joey
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Doer of things.
18 Jul 2011 19:39 #17
Both. If it's physically broken (meaning, it's literal), then I can't boot from it. A break-down of what I'm saying means that if I boot Linux off a flash drive, and Windows still boots, I still can't see the hard drive on my computer.

• amunra
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Jul 2011 00:37 #18
Jul 6, 2011, 9:33pm, andrewsears wrote:Ouch, that sucks. I had that happen to me a few months ago, but unfortunately my hard drive was too degraded to be able to retrieve any data from it. I hope you have better luck.

See, this is why people should switch to solid-state memory (although I haven't).

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.946 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.