file The Next Day (May 10, 2011)

• Joey
  • Joey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Doer of things.
  • Thank you received: 191
11 May 2011 00:35 #1
Okay so today was fairly good... Better than yesterday! Pizza for lunch, oh yeah . Oh and I stole some chocolates from our fridge ... So I also drew out some more levels for MBSuperStar today during Science . Yeah it was fun. The level idea is called Ludicrous Speed. It's actually harder than it sounds. I won't give TOO many details, but let's just say that you need to go as fast as you can (for the qualify time), but here's the catch: You must come to almost a complete stop at the end to hit the finish below! The reason it's hard is because you MUST go fast to qualify, but must know when to slow but still hurry! Hopefully you get it

I love you, but your attitude is like that of a shrew. Your options? Take a pill or be my kill. Might I suggest that you wear a vest. Perish in class or be banished to the land of bluegrass, where dreams don't exist as you'll be eternally pissed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 91
11 May 2011 00:48 #2
May 10, 2011, 5:35pm, techwarrior wrote: I won't give TOO many details, but let's just say that you need to go as fast as you can (for the qualify time), but here's the catch: You must come to almost a complete stop at the end to hit the finish below! The reason it's hard is because you MUST go fast to qualify, but must know when to slow but still hurry! Hopefully you get it

So essentially it's Dive with a par time.

• Joey
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Doer of things.
11 May 2011 00:54 #3
No. In fact it looks nothing like Dive and Dive never came to my mind in this...

I love you, but your attitude is like that of a shrew. Your options? Take a pill or be my kill. Might I suggest that you wear a vest. Perish in class or be banished to the land of bluegrass, where dreams don't exist as you'll be eternally pissed.

11 May 2011 00:54 #4
May 10, 2011, 5:54pm, techwarrior wrote:No. In fact it looks nothing like Dive and Dive never came to my mind in this...

I was referring to the fact that Dive required a lot of constant speed to pass the challenges, but required a slow/stop at the end. Not the aesthetics of the level.

• Joey
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Doer of things.
11 May 2011 00:57 #5
Well then yes... But harder...

11 May 2011 01:04 #6
Not to belabor the point, but reusing ideas that closely is never a good idea for a mod. In the example of MBP, it found new ways to test players, even for the simplistic beginner levels. For example, Collect the Gems was translated into Diamond Round-up. Same purpose, totally different level.

An equivalent to what you are doing, would be to make a bowl level with gems/blocks/ramps/obstacles on the sides (read: Eye of the Storm), add a couple nukes here and there, put a par time, and calling it your own.

• Joey
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Doer of things.
11 May 2011 01:07 #7
...So in that case you were referring to the aesthetics... My level was exactly what you said: It used the same general idea as Dive, but was a totally different level...

11 May 2011 01:13 #8
May 10, 2011, 6:07pm, techwarrior wrote:...So in that case you were referring to the aesthetics... My level was exactly what you said: It used the same general idea as Dive, but was a totally different level...

Close, but no. The reason why the beginner levels are OK is because any game needs a form of training before the actual game. There's only so much variation on collecting gems that can be done, and MBP made the most of it. Granted, I provided a bad example and probably should have referred to another Advanced. .

However, advanced levels are supposed to be original and challenging, with very little reusing of ideas between games or levels.

• Joey
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Doer of things.
11 May 2011 01:18 #9
I do agree with that... However the level has got some features and things that differ it from Dive... The only thing that relates it to Dive is the fact that you need speed to win... As well as the fact that you need to stop at the end...

EDIT: Plus, in Dive you don't gain speed; it's a slope. In Ludicrous Speed, you really CAN'T win without an abundant amount of speed...

11 May 2011 01:24 #10
May 10, 2011, 6:18pm, techwarrior wrote:I do agree with that... However the level has got some features and things that differ it from Dive... The only thing that relates it to Dive is the fact that you need speed to win... As well as the fact that you need to stop at the end...

Exactly. And the whole gain speed then stop is the entire essence of the level.

May 10, 2011, 6:18pm, techwarrior wrote:EDIT: Plus, in Dive you don't gain speed; it's a slope. In Ludicrous Speed, you really CAN'T win without an abundant amount of speed...

The same applies to Dive. First, if you say Dive ISN'T a slope, you're wrong. And also, you need to gain a lot of speed to perform the jump from the end of the loop to the mine platform. Therefore proving that you need a lot of speed for Dive as well.

• Joey
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Doer of things.
11 May 2011 01:33 #11
Yes, but does Dive have a par time and does it force you to hurry? The thing about speed then stop... Yes it's the same IDEA as Dive... However, applying that idea with more tactics and designs allows the player for a better experience and therefore making the idea different... Or atleast the gameplay...

• Thank you received: 18
11 May 2011 01:39 #12
Glad you're making progress. The above discussion is getting slightly ridiculous.

• Joey
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Doer of things.
11 May 2011 01:41 #13
I agree... Let's just say nobody won and then let's move on

11 May 2011 01:41 #14
May 10, 2011, 6:33pm, techwarrior wrote:However, applying that idea with more tactics and designs

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. It's ok to be vague so as your level doesn't get stolen, however you're not convincing anyone by being this vague. Also, if it IS truly the focus of your level (I would assume so, as this is what you posted about), adding extraneous stuff just for the sake of adding extraneous stuff makes the level annoying. No one wants to play a misplaced challenge just to get to the whole point of the level. Finally, this would obfuscate the point of the level, as most levels have themes. My troll level was specializing in tricky or annoying challenges. The KotM level specializes in climbing challenges. All of the challenges on Tightropes pertain to tightropes. Et cetera.

May 10, 2011, 6:33pm, techwarrior wrote:Yes, but does Dive have a par time and does it force you to hurry?

I'm sorry, since when has adding a par time to an existing idea/level EVER been creative?

• Joey
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Doer of things.
11 May 2011 01:45 #15
Dang! Got ninja'd for the first time ever . And what I mean about tactics and designs is that it allows the player to play the level differently... Though it uses Dive's idea, you play it in a completely different way...

11 May 2011 01:47 #16
May 10, 2011, 6:45pm, techwarrior wrote:Dang! Got ninja'd for the first time ever

Both of you just ninja'd me!

Anyway, good luck on your level.

• Joey
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Doer of things.
11 May 2011 01:48 #17
Ah! Ninja'd again! Some thread...

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.933 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.