• Joey
  • Joey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Doer of things.
  • Thank you received: 191
19 Jul 2014 03:00 #1
Hey guys,

There is a bit of a mystery behind the Zaex. The Zaex is an idea I came up with in July of 2012, and at the time it only represented something experimental. It was meant to describe something that was new or innovative, and that was the case with my track Zaex Generator, being a strange mix of marching band and dubstep. However, later on that year, I decided to dig up a story behind the Zaex, describing and portraying it more as a creature that had a purpose, while leaving a handful of mysteries surrounding the idea that make you wonder what it even is. A year later (2013), I brought it back with Zaex Battle, showcasing the Zaex as a violent creature of destruction, yet still one that held a noble and civil soul. This year, both tracks were revisited and re-uploaded, but the story of the Zaex will be coming to a close later this year. I still don't even know what it is. But it's come back and it haunts me!!

Back in 2012, I released an album that I thought would be a success, titled "The Beat Box." I ended up taking it down less than a year later because it actually did not work out. This was a good thing, however, because it allowed me more time to think about how I market and upload my work. I found Bandcamp - a website devoted to listing purchasable music. The best part is that there is no fee for listing, which means I'm able to list virtually all my music for money if I wanted to (which I don't - only a hypothetical exaggeration of my point).

A few months ago I decided to revisit The Beat Box because I saw it had some potential. I re-mastered all of the tracks and even changed a few (notably Zaex Generator) to some better-sounding sentiments. The purpose of this album was not to create something mind-blowing or even necessarily memorable. Rather, this album was my way of experimenting and sharing that experimentation with the world, via a box of beats. :D This release, as of today, is actually a bit of milestone for me, since it's the first album that I'm truly releasing that has original art and what not (the 2012 release lacked all of everything). Hopefully it's a bit more appealing this time around. :P

The best part is that Bandcamp lets you stream the tracks before you purchase them. So for those of you who never bought the album, well, now you can listen to everything that was on the album for free. :P Here is the link to the new release:
techwarrior.bandcamp.com/album/the-beat-box

There is also a promotional video for The Beat Box:

Hey look, Zaex!! :unsure:

Personal blog coming soon...

~ TW

I love you, but your attitude is like that of a shrew. Your options? Take a pill or be my kill. Might I suggest that you wear a vest. Perish in class or be banished to the land of bluegrass, where dreams don't exist as you'll be eternally pissed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 10
20 Jul 2014 01:09 #2
you're really good at music making. here's my thoughts on the clips in the promo video:
electronic sunrise: i like how the melody changes to the full thing from the intro. i like the intro the most in that one.
waves of serenity: first impression is to remember that PQ showcase video of garden of serenity. i just love those tech drums (i can never do them in garageband)
orchestral drama: didn't hear much but that sure is modern music that you can dance to.
bass battle: the first bit sounds like someone doing the intro to a rap battle, i think that is what you wanted. yeah, you know what it is...
zaex generator: i like this the most out of the pieces in this style you show. there is hardly a melody (one that you can whistle). it sounds cool is all i can describe it with c:
drop zone: a little heavy on the drums at first listen. a little different style from waves of serenity, a style i like. the drums almost sound like a mess without being too unmusical.
drum machine: have you seen the drum machine animusic yet? good stuff. doesn't focus on the drums while the drum isn't switching, but when it switches it deserves the name.

you seem only to use synths, but i've only seen this one video. what other styles/instruments do you like? i'm into jazz so i do flute/organ and stuff like that.

• Joey
  • Joey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Doer of things.
  • Thank you received: 191
20 Jul 2014 02:33 #3
Hey man, thanks for taking the time to review what you heard - really means a lot. :)

The Beat Box was created as an experiment, for this is not what I'm used to making. :P I do craft most electronic genres, but not generally in the same ways you heard in the video/album.

I mostly combine electronic elements with realistic orchestral music, as that is my signature style of music production. I love the nature of the orchestra, from violins to brass to woodwinds, and I try to incorporate that with disparate electronic styles in the most coherent way I can. Every now and then, however, I throw electronica aside and attempt to do full-on orchestral scores (most of these will be on an album for this December), so I guess you could say I'm a bit of an orchestral fanatic.

~ TW

I love you, but your attitude is like that of a shrew. Your options? Take a pill or be my kill. Might I suggest that you wear a vest. Perish in class or be banished to the land of bluegrass, where dreams don't exist as you'll be eternally pissed.

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.749 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.