file Community channel and highlights

• Kalle29
  • Kalle29's Avatar Topic Author
  • I blame ping for losing
  • Thank you received: 754
14 Mar 2021 19:06 #1
Hello people. We are currently discussing creating a sort of community channel where we would upload monthly videos of things that happened that month. People have suggested including new records that were broken that month, but also things like showcasing new levels and multiplayer matches. There really isn't a limit on what could be included as long as it's related to the community.

In here we can discuss the content of these videos as well as announcing who the editor for that month will be so we all know who to send content to.

༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽ You have been visited by the Nivea™ Donger of moisture. Soft skin and good fortune will come to you, but only if you post "thank you Mr. Skeltal" in this thread ༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽
The following user(s) said Thank You: NF, Weather, c0wmanglr, azful

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2
14 Mar 2021 19:12 #2
First of all, I would definitely be in as an editor.

What we could do is have a showcase of a month's World Records, as well as bloopers. We will also have new levels made by the community (if there are levels).

Music will be chosen depending on what we will say.

• Doomblah
  • Marble Blast Veteran
  • Thank you received: 83
14 Mar 2021 19:20 #3
I like the idea of having a community channel and posting community content there. I like the idea of World Record recaps, something like every 30 levels that get a WR a compilation is released showing them all. Runners can give comments on each run and all that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: azful

• Thank you received: 38
14 Mar 2021 21:21 #4
ill just reiterate some of the suggestions i made on the discord server earlier :pinch:

good course of action is
1. figure out what content we want to include, and what we want it to look like
2. figure out who is willing to help out with what
3. THEN start gathering the things like rrecs, as well as other content to be featured
4. those contributing can work out who is doing what, and can take turns with things on a video-by-video basis

as far as content to include/what it would look like, i like the idea of either:
one video a month with a few segments on par with something like ' daily dose of internet ' (thanks chris)
or
different 'series' with different themes, such as one for webport stuff, one for new user-created game content (like levels), one for records broken that month on the lbs, etc.

i personally like the idea of a mix of both. have a monthly recap that includes a mix of new stuff summed up, while also having more methodical videos showcasing things in more depth. this allows for many people to contribute to the creative process, as well as no reason to cut content that some might enjoy for time/effort's sake.

ways people can contribute include:
-video editing
-voiceovers?
-maybe even music for it??? musicians pog???
-making the content actually featured in the videos (level making, beating wrs, everything people already do by being in the community

i personally can contribute with video editing, voiceover, and maybe music [strike]if my motivation ever comes back from the milk store[/strike]

im excited to see where this goes!
<3

(=⌒‿‿⌒=)
The following user(s) said Thank You: NF

• Thank you received: 406
14 Mar 2021 21:26 #5
I love the idea of having a monthly showcase. Videos could be separated into categories like WRs, new levels, and maybe multiplayer matches, and commentary would make it really fun to watch! I also feel like it could bring us closer together as a community, because we could have categories for milestones of individual members as well, like azful getting her first traplaunch or if I ever get all UTs in MBP or something like that. And it makes a lot of sense for this to be monthly.

I could edit, but all I would be able to use would be iMovie so it wouldn't be that interesting. Just like my other videos.

Also I want to fight for having original game sound and narration, maybe little clips from each record to match the time of the narration or the other way around, more content than narration so that the entirety of each record/level can be showcased. But I do think original sound would be much preferable to music because:
(i) No copyright strikes!
(ii) People would actually get information and trivia and stuff out of the videos, as they would be much more useful with commentary than without.
(iii) Finding that much music would be a hassle.
(iv) Original game sound would make all videos more consistent, which I think is good if we were to have an official community channel of some kind.
(v) People like me who always mute MB videos because of the music wouldn't have to do that.
(vi) I just think having narration sort of... gives us more life as a community if that makes sense. Like if people discover our videos and hear us talking about our community, runs, and levels, they'll see how passionate we are about our little game and how exciting this whole project is to us.

That's all for now.

14 Mar 2021 21:30 - 14 Mar 2021 21:30 #6

Chris/Nockess wrote: @azful Include that I'm happy to edit.

yeah also chris is enthusiastic about this as well but things are complicated and he cant post lol

earlier today he suggested we edit one for each month, and he offered to start with editing a rundown of jan-feb-march (after march is finished) - either separate videos or all in one

(=⌒‿‿⌒=)
Last edit: 14 Mar 2021 21:30 by azful.

14 Mar 2021 21:39 #7

Nature Freak wrote: I also feel like it could bring us closer together as a community

absolutely! i think this is just what we need right now <3

Nature Freak wrote: I could edit, but all I would be able to use would be iMovie so it wouldn't be that interesting. Just like my other videos.

i think it would be cool to have different styles of editing, imovie included ;)

which leads me into...

Nature Freak wrote: Original game sound would make all videos more consistent, which I think is good if we were to have an official community channel of some kind.

i personally disagree, as i think i value the community showing their own creative values is more important than strict consistency here. i think a format to go by would be good, but having a variety of different styles, perspectives, creative ideas, etc. would be very fun.

it would also remove the idea of the pressure of the channel falling on one dedicated editor.

overall i think part of having this be a fun, collaborative effort is allowing some creative freedoms and offering the opportunity for different editors and editing styles.

that being said, since you offered editing and seem to really prefer that style, i think thats a good reason for you to contribute with the style that you love the best! <3

Nature Freak wrote: I just think having narration sort of... gives us more life as a community if that makes sense. Like if people discover our videos and hear us talking about our community, runs, and levels, they'll see how passionate we are about our little game and how exciting this whole project is to us.

this is cute i love this

(=⌒‿‿⌒=)

• Blasted
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Speedrunner and Level Maker
  • Thank you received: 105
14 Mar 2021 21:40 #8
I second having Nockess being the editor. Otherwise, I don't have much to say about this.

14 Mar 2021 21:48 #9

azful wrote: overall i think part of having this be a fun, collaborative effort is allowing some creative freedoms and offering the opportunity for different editors and editing styles.

Hmm, that's a good point. So you're thinking every video can be a little different, like some with voiceover, some without, some with music, some with original game sound, etc.? That way we could broadcast a lovely amalgamation of our styles to the channel? I see your point.

I do still think voiceover would be good though, for the reasons I gave in my previous post. But I am fully open to hearing more opinions.

14 Mar 2021 21:52 #10

Nature Freak wrote: Hmm, that's a good point. So you're thinking every video can be a little different, like some with voiceover, some without, some with music, some with original game sound, etc.? That way we could broadcast a lovely amalgamation of our styles to the channel? I see your point.

precisely! ive also considered that it may be good to have one monthly video, with different segments that can be edited by different people. only downside to that is the length of the video, but if it's timestamped, i dont think many would mind. it would be a cool thing to look forward to every month :cheer:

Nature Freak wrote: I do still think voiceover would be good though, for the reasons I gave in my previous post. But I am fully open to hearing more opinions.

i love the idea of voiceover. that also creates the idea of scripting as well, if someone maybe wanted their piece to have voiceover, but use someone elses voice. there is a lot of potential and freedom in this :pinch:

(=⌒‿‿⌒=)

15 Mar 2021 01:47 #11
chris/nockess made this

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CQZBxRZv.../edit#gid=1169539445

he is helping compile material for the jan-feb-march recap

looks like everyone is still discussing what this will materialize into, but it is a cool start :D

(=⌒‿‿⌒=)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nockess

• Eguy
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • Booper Supreme
  • Thank you received: 208
15 Mar 2021 02:43 #12
I'd be happy to contribute with music and commentary, as well as some editing details. I'd rather not handle editing all on my own, but I do like getting creative with snappy headliner intros/outros, like "This Week In MarbleLand" or "Staff Team Undergoes Foundation Repair" or some shit. We could use visuals to supplement analysis of speedruns - like, insert little clips from past historic videos, or even more nerdy math stuff. I like NF's suggestion about trivia. As someone who's been recently spending lots of time trolling on final cut pro and making homemade, meme-esque music videos, I can tell you firsthand there's no limit to how fun this could get, and I'd be happy to help carry on the creative mantle from those who ran the MB timeline on the old forums, made the "best of MB" - ya know, stuff like that.

"it's the internet eguy. where children are men. men are monkeys, and women are PQ."
-Jeff 2014
The following user(s) said Thank You: NF, c0wmanglr

• Nockess
  • Respected Marbler
  • Respected Marbler
  • Cheater Supreme
  • Thank you received: 786
18 Mar 2021 04:02 #13
(Now that I can actually post.)
I think this is a fantastic idea. I sense that this would be the kind of thing that could make the community as a whole a little tighter given the freedom of participation and volunteering.

Recapping what has been said for me: I would be delighted to edit some of the "monthly-roundup" videos (which seems to have picked up the name "This Month in Marble Blast"), and the sheet I made with a bunch of the content that could be featured in those videos was linked by azful a couple posts up. I think it would be a great way to show off some of the new records and levels, especially to an outside audience.

In regards to other video ideas, I think a community channel would be a great hub for events like content-worthy announcements, tournaments and rampages, new upcoming mods (if those are still being made lol) or other projects - there are a lot of possibilities. I think there are quite a few community-wide events that don't get enough recognition.

Call me Chris!

Discord: Nockess#4107
YouTube: www.youtube.com/Nockess
Custom Levels: marbleland.vaniverse.io/profile/5

• Kalle29
  • Kalle29's Avatar Topic Author
  • I blame ping for losing
  • Thank you received: 754
24 Mar 2021 22:45 - 26 Mar 2021 02:30 #14
Alright it seems like most people agree on the general premise of the channel. Is there anything in your minds that prevent this channel from being made apart from the issue of who is going to run it?

༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽ You have been visited by the Nivea™ Donger of moisture. Soft skin and good fortune will come to you, but only if you post "thank you Mr. Skeltal" in this thread ༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽
Last edit: 26 Mar 2021 02:30 by Kalle29. Reason: spelling

25 Mar 2021 02:04 #15
As far as I can tell this seems great. Can't wait to see what is featured for the first monthly video! Maybe we could have a community poll or survey or something? You know how much I like polls.

26 Mar 2021 09:46 - 26 Mar 2021 09:47 #16

Alright it seems like most people agree on the general premise of the channel. Is there anything in your minds that prevent this channel from being made apart from the issue of who is going to run it?

i see nothing preventing it, and i see it fit for the channel itself to be run by the mods of the community. people organize community efforts for a video/video series, and then it is forwarded to mods to then approve it and upload it to the channel.

as far as the videos to be featured on the channel itself, both nockess and i have taken the initiative to start organizing projects.

nockess' idea is a shortish recap of events in the past month, while mine is a compilation of community content! ive been working with him to make sure the content is not repetitive and does not overlap. ill post the general premise of the content in a thread shortly.

As far as I can tell this seems great. Can't wait to see what is featured for the first monthly video! Maybe we could have a community poll or survey or something? You know how much I like polls.

im excited as well! i think the best way to give/receive input on this matter would be for there to be a thread for each project, and for those organizing the project to keep the thread updated with progress and receive input regularly.

ill go ahead and make a thread to dump what i have so far. im working on a sort of sample of what i had in mind, so it can be visualized and people can give their input on the general idea of it.

edit: heres the thread

(=⌒‿‿⌒=)
Last edit: 26 Mar 2021 09:47 by azful. Reason: thread link

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.854 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.