file My Past. More of a story, if you will.

• main_gi
  • main_gi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Thank you received: 31
12 May 2013 22:18 #1
My past was a really unknown one, and nobody really knew about it.

I was trying to make a mod that actually worked without telling anyone. I also followed the MB forums. This was before any of the other mods, so this was started right when Marble Blast Platinum 1.10 was announced. I have no backups, so you can choose not to believe me. However, I have very close memories of some of these levels.

> This mod used single interiors from MBP. I had no idea how to work Quark at the time, so I used them and changed the actual texture used.
> There were SIX types of times. One was Master, colored red, and the others were gold, orange, grey and green. But I thought I had a blue...
> The more I type this, the more I remember.
> Beginner had 27 levels. In fact, all the sections had 27 levels.
>> The Super Jump level used a brown texture. It had two instances of Super Jumping and one of the milestone times were 6 seconds.
>> One level I found particularly long started with the Thrill Ride interior with gems and you needed to collect gems from Skate Park, Jump Jump Jump and another grass interior. The time you'd need to complete this was around 1 minute 30 seconds.
> Intermediate section was cleared out for no reason. This contained some of my favorite levels, a few I remember:
>> A tunnel vision level where your marble vision was impaired and you needed to find gems. This was either Advanced or intermediate but LEVEL THREE.
>> There was a level where the finish pad was incredibly large at the bottom of the map. Problem was getting the gems and THEN falling. The colors used were mainly red, and you went at high speeds. This was level 15 or 16.
>> The final level was a water platform with tons of tornadoes.
>> Speaking of tornadoes, I used an interior from a different game and proceeded to play with tornadoes in it.
>> A level between that had moving platforms that would spring you inside an area.
>> A big maze-like map or something that was black in color and looked strangely like an MBU custom modern map, now that I think about it. I believe this was the testing room for my maps.
> Advanced section was a castle based map with the background completely black. Gyrocopters were spammy.
>> Another was a huge ice based map where the ground was ice and there were two sections.
>>> One section was full of trees and time travels.
>>> The other section used a LOT of TubeTwist's .dif files. Also there was a super jump staircase.
>>> I don't remember finishing this level, OR the minute time was so long -- a hallucination reveals this as 6minutes 37seconds.
>> Then there was a large construction map where super jumps and Gyrocopters were used, getting gems at every floor. I remember needing to scale this really high.
>> Also, I used a long slide .dif that you traveled far and back in this one level.
> I had no graphical skill at the time AND I was using paint so no transparency; so I used Tubetwist's number icons in the number files. I realized the benefit of it too, since it had levels up to 16, I could have up to 160 gems without fault. This leads to great memories of levels and certain time constraints because I know I made it and put it in there with those times.
> The music was directly taken from Minigolf Mania, but not the interiors...maybe.

> And no, this isn't downloadable. Why? Because the computer caught a virus and I had no backup.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
  • PlatinumQuest Programmer
  • Thank you received: 205
12 May 2013 23:00 #2
Nice story. And don't worry, I believe you in your mod making. I've done modding mbg long before I even came before on these forums, and these people don't even know what I did */spoiler*.

What was your old name on the MBP leaderboards? Also I hope to see you play on them too, if anyone gives you any trouble on them just tell me, I am a moderator.

Jeff

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.

• Thank you received: 15
12 May 2013 23:05 #3
Thanks for the backstory, maingi. It sounds like your mod was quite promising - too bad it got wiped out. I've been a part of a few mods myself, like MBP and PQ, so I believe you.

• main_gi
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
12 May 2013 23:15 #4
Hopefully someone can continue my ideas, I haven't seen a Get all the gems and fall down to the finish level ever.
This reminds me of an MBG custom level I made that was like many Do these challenges, collect the gems and head to the finish. This took 2min 30s when I replayed it a lot of times; the first test time was 5 minutes! OR this was a Beginner level 26 in my mod. Which was not level planned, I was expecting a 27-27-27 format (81 levels) but there were 16 more levels and the POSSIBLE edition of DC/the fourth slot of 27.

Some other great moments were when I was playing an MBP LBs level with lots of gems and I just collected a Helicopter in a yellow level. I was extremely happy because a blizzard delayed school that day.

• Thank you received: 0
13 May 2013 17:08 #5
That sounded great. The old-styled levels with reused interiors were always fun. Shame you caught a virus, I wanted to play it

• Thank you received: 368
14 May 2013 16:25 #6
Thus, we see the importance of creating and maintaining constant backups of all of your data! While an unfortunate situation has befallen on you, hopefully you understand what precautions must be taken in the future to prevent such a loss of information. Be thankful it wasn't something crucial, like your password databank or your tax returns (being lost the day before they were due - thank god for backups). I recommend two physical backups (on two separate machines, if possible) and at least one external backup (may it be an external hard drive, an online website, etc).

I'm also proud to let you know (and everyone else that's been following its progress) that I have resumed work on MBF as of yesterday, and fun things are in store; new beta build, more beta testers, etc. I've also recruited the help of a couple additional programmers from my university to help finish up the project and aim for a 2013 release.

~Aayrl

15 May 2013 00:19 #7
May 14, 2013, 9:25am, aayrl wrote:I'm also proud to let you know (and everyone else that's been following its progress) that I have resumed work on MBF as of yesterday, and fun things are in store; new beta build, more beta testers, etc. I've also recruited the help of a couple additional programmers from my university to help finish up the project and aim for a 2013 release.

I'll believe it when I see it

• main_gi
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
20 May 2013 00:42 #8
May 14, 2013, 9:25am, aayrl wrote:Thus, we see the importance of creating and maintaining constant backups of all of your data! While an unfortunate situation has befallen on you, hopefully you understand what precautions must be taken in the future to prevent such a loss of information. Be thankful it wasn't something crucial, like your password databank or your tax returns (being lost the day before they were due - thank god for backups). I recommend two physical backups (on two separate machines, if possible) and at least one external backup (may it be an external hard drive, an online website, etc).

I'm also proud to let you know (and everyone else that's been following its progress) that I have resumed work on MBF as of yesterday, and fun things are in store; new beta build, more beta testers, etc. I've also recruited the help of a couple additional programmers from my university to help finish up the project and aim for a 2013 release.

~Aayrl

Thanks, Aayrl. You know, MBF may at least be coming to an acceptable demo release state...but I don't want to be pushy.

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
  • PlatinumQuest Programmer
  • Thank you received: 205
20 May 2013 02:48 #9
^^ I'll do it for you.

FUBAR WHERe

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.

• Ralph
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Matan's Fervent Fan
  • Thank you received: 136
09 Aug 2013 16:49 #10
That made me cry

You forget a thousand things everyday. Make sure Marble Blast isn't one of 'em.
Instagram : ralphfrommb

09 Aug 2013 17:47 #11
Why did you bump this? You know not to do that.

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.883 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.