file Top 20 Favorite MBG Custom Levels

• Buzzmusic
  • Buzzmusic's Avatar Topic Author
  • Developer
  • Developer
  • I make levels and songs.
  • Thank you received: 145
03 Jan 2015 18:40 - 03 Jan 2015 18:41 #1
A while ago I made a list of my top 20 favorite MBP levels .

Why not MBG? Well, that would be more about looking through the whole MBG CLA, which I wouldn't have the patience to do.

Hahahahahaha, um I guess I have a lot of time on my hands. So here are my 20 favorite customs from MBG. This was a very hard list to order since I like different levels for very different reasons, and there might have been a few levels I missed (either I forgot about them or never played them), but I think this list covers a lot of stuff with decent accuracy. So let's get right into it!

20. Wild Ride - Pablo
Moving platform rides in general can often result in too much slowness for me, except for those parts where there are a million pillars in your way that you have to strategically move around. This level is basically just that. Now that's a cool idea.

19. Marble Mini Golf Hole 10 - Ian
If there's one thing I'm glad the level editor allows for, it's colossal fields of scenery like this. If the gameplay was tight and slow in MMG 10, the scenery would've surely seemed wasted. But luckily, with some good shortcuts, the gameplay consists of just the right amount of simple bouncing and flying at great speeds to allow for a glorious experience.

18. Gyrocopter Monster Course - Matan
This level reminds me of those levels where the gravity is permanently lowered, which can be creative, but also dreadfully slow. No problem like that exists in Gyrocopter Monster Course where you glide swiftly through a track void of cluttering scenery. And it won Level of the Year, so I guess I'm in the majority.

17. River Course - Phil
As static as it is, this short level has a lot to keep me engaged, with its narrow platforms and steep grass slopes that keep my marble in motion, and its occasional elements of verticality. Even then, it's something you kind of have to play to understand. This level was actually my first and, as far as I know, only WR (got beaten, but whatever).

16. Pandora's Box - Pablo
Normally something as visually well-constructed as this is in danger of forgetting to keep the gameplay decent, but I really can't say this level frustrates me at all. The difficulty is kept pretty consistent, and the length is pretty forgiving.

15. SkyHook - Sparky
There's something to be said about how the curves and loops in this level aren't smooth compared to most speed levels. In a strange way it kind of adds impact to the experience, which really makes all the difference when used for these delightfully large platforms. Great simple course for speedrunners and beginners alike, even if the last challenge is a bit tough.

14. The Tortoise and the Hare - Robot Marble
If typical MBP scenery is like a super realistic painting that looks "good" but isn't too visually interesting, The Tortoise and the Hare's scenery is like a colorful and unrealistic Picasso painting. The whole feel of this level is colossal and out of control. The gameplay is minimal enough to let the visuals shine, and sometimes enjoyable simply for the red platform's heavy motion.

13. The Ultimate Race - Technostick
Getting way ahead of the game in this unique course and grabbing all the Time Travels is quite a fun experience. I love trying to get that perfect run, where I'm ahead of the game the whole time. Luckily, because of the Time Travels, getting that perfect run is quite tough, and that difficulty just keeps me coming back for more attempts.

12. The Ascension - Technostick, Andrew, Perishingflames, Darkness Shadow, Ian, Phil, ShadowMarble, Xelna, & Oaky
This level certainly has the main benefit of a typical CGL: being packed with stylistic variety. The thing that makes this not as successful as something like Skyebird's Trail, for me at least, is a lack of flow between challenges; it's not something I enjoy speedrunning. But what makes up for that is the length and occasional difficulty, and the resulting satisfaction from beating this monster.

11. The Ultimate Friction Challenge - Andrew
It's funny because normally I favor levels with tons of checkpoints because it means I don't have to repeat too many sections before getting back to where I need to be. But I guess there comes a time when I'm just so used to a level that it feels like a fun endurance round rather than an unfair set of challenges, especially when the level has super well-designed gameplay. That's what The Ultimate Friction Challenge is for me.

Now for the top 10…

10. Ocean of Death - Henry
This is the kind of level that takes a bit of pathfinding and thinking to finish. To me, the steady realization of the level's structure and the a-ha moment of figuring out how to complete the whole thing is very satisfying. Even after all that, it's still a pretty tough level, which makes it still a joy to replay. And to top it all off, the look of this level gives it an identity. I guess I'm a fan of platforms on the ocean in MBG. Maybe it's just empowering to be able to stay alive when water is right below you. And maybe MBG has a huge advantage in terms of scenery by being way more cartoonish and carefree than MBP. A bunch of these levels just have such fun identities, and sometimes making the gameplay more about exploration or simplicity helps the atmosphere stand out.

9. Jeff's Skill Course - Jeff
This is like a tour of my favorite things in MBG custom levels: vast terrains, well-placed valuable Time Travels, moments of speed, a huge, colorful, and completely uneven overall structure, etc. This level's colossal, but that kind of distracts from the fact that it's a pretty easy set of challenges. I love rolling through all of these classic bits of MBG level editor fun. And thank goodness the last challenge is the one I rarely can beat. If literally the whole level was easy for me, then I'd probably replay it less, but because I always lose at the end, that just makes me even more excited to replay it so I can actually finish it.

8. Lightning Racetrack - Xelna
This one has a unique spin on the typical speed course. Virtually everything done in the level is manual, meaning there aren't walls and things keeping the marble on track. So if you're good at the game, you sort of turn it into a speed level yourself. Once you can make it through the whole thing, you go for the Time Travels placed mostly on the edges of the path. The whole thing is a refreshingly original course. There may be other levels where you go very fast at your own will while collecting Time Travels on the sides, but Lightning Racetrack is superb by being super smooth and kind of comforting. Never get tired of it.

7. Eliminatives Over the Rainbow - Xelna
The way this huge contraption is built is gorgeous. I don't just mean that visually, I'm talking about the daunting mechanical cycle at the start, the huge launch through the free fall rings, the frightening madness of the yellow platform made up of nine smaller platforms, etc. The whole thing operates on a devilishly mechanical flow of gameplay. It's certainly different from something like Choco Valley where my enjoyment comes from being comfortable enough to speed through it. In Eliminatives Over the Rainbow, I'm terrified. And that just keeps me coming back to see if I can make it through the whole thing another time. Thank goodness for Imperial's video of this beast. I would never have the patience to figure out how to do everything myself.

6. Fast Trak - Maximumspazz
The sheer scale of platforms and effortlessness of the visual style really showcase the level editor's power in this one. Fast Trak is very very tempting to play partially because of the way it hits you with a burst of excitement at the beginning (as long as you don't hit anything, that is). I love the way the level has me charge through structures that seem harder to speed through than they actually are, and then rewards me with a glorious sprint toward a huge wall of intrigue. It sure looks fantastic, and as I said before about MMG 10, this wouldn't matter if the gameplay was slow and tight. But luckily, if you know what you're doing and have practiced enough, most of the gameplay is smooth and solid. Plus there's a bunch of little tricks for me to use to get a faster time, and that combined with the sheer excitement of the core gameplay makes this level a treasure.

Now for the top 5!

5. Highway to Marbleland - Xelna
The biggest point of interest for me is that this huge linear course feels never-ending due to the way all the challenges are spread so far apart. Sometimes I come across levels that are too huge for the draw distance, and sometimes I come across levels that are very narrow all the way through, but I normally don't see both apply to the same level with a minimal road/construction/wood look and long, speedy, yet simple challenges. "Intriguing" is probably the best way to describe it, even after I already know what all the challenges are gonna be. It flows nicely, it's full of speed, it has some nice shortcuts, it's memorable in its tone, and it has probably the best ending to any Marble Blast level.

4. Tiny Skycastles - Xelna
For me, the structure is the main asset of this level. The way the castle has multiple ways of getting from point A to point B gives this course its edge. At first, Tiny Skycastles seems demandingly difficult, daunting, and troublesome. But I personally find it almost void of frustration. Collecting all the gems while figuring out how to get from point A to point B is certainly part of the challenge, which I find extremely enjoyable since it requires a bit of thinking, and the rest of the straightforward difficulty of the level is all stuff I've gotten used to. I kinda feel smart for getting through the whole thing. It's such a unique maze-like experience with some great aesthetics and a trademark Xelna lack of cluttering scenery. It feels like the real deal, a test of wits and skill, and I love a good test like this once in a while.

3. Xployt - Moshe
It's hard to say much about this one that I haven't already said about a few others. It's a super long advanced skill course with creative challenges. Xployt is like a perfection of the formula, a gigantic stream of classic Marble Blast greatness. But I think the thing that pushes Xployt way over the top is the consistent difficulty. Even in the best levels I find, there are normally some challenges that are too slow and easy, and/or a few challenges that always make me angry, but Xployt is nearly flawless. Any utterly brutal challenges are appropriately at the end, and the rest is just hard enough for me to enjoy. Quite a masterpiece.

2. Interdimensional Rifts - Ian, Tech Geek, R. Stanley, Jase, Matan, Andrew, Jeff, & Perishingflames
Just like other CGLs, this one is based on exploration of the varying styles between level builders. That's already a nice thing to experience in a single level, but there are a couple of things that push Interdimensional Rifts way over the top. First of all, look at this level look at it isn't it so cool omg look at the black sky and the various sections looming in the background waiting to be explored. The scale of all the challenges and the wacky designs is completely out of control and that's what I love about certain MBG classics like this. Secondly, very important, the course isn't linear. Instead, it's left up to the player to explore each section. That's a perfect idea, and it lets me feel relaxed at times and ready to explore at others.
It's funny that Skyebird's Trail, another CGL, was on my last list in 2nd place. Which one is better? Well, Skyebird's Trail is more fun as a linear ride through various segments while Interdimensional Rifts earns its spot out of being super memorable, grand, and interesting. I wouldn't even say the challenges themselves in Interdimensional Rifts are that great in terms of gameplay, but since I can explore the whole thing at my own pace, I'm able to have whatever kind of fun I want. What an absolute gem.

Before we get to number 1, let's look at some honorable mentions.

The Community's Group Level I - Luca, Andrew Sears, Tristan, Beau, Bobby, Whirligig, Andrew Patterson, & Matan
A nice course, but not too consistently fun.

Ascent of Peril 1 & 2 - Xelna
The difficulty is both a blessing and a curse for me.

Dizzying Dancing - Xelna
Love the idea, wish it was longer.

Fullspeed - Seizure22
I'm a bit more used to brave scenery concepts and exciting speed trials like this than I used to be, but that still doesn't mean this level isn't pretty fun.

Jungle - Moshe
Nice style and execution, but it sure had some competition trying to get in this list.

And my favorite Marble Blast Gold custom level is…

1. Ultima Line - Xelna
Ultima Line is an enormous pile of speed, originality, difficulty, and breathtaking design all displayed in the epitome of replayability and refreshingly original Marble Blast fun. I wish I could come up with something like this, something so huge and impressive. It's one thing to just make a level big. It's one thing to make a typical "go through one smooth curve to another" speed level. And it's one thing to make scenery that's giant and colorful. But Ultima Line uses bigness to create excitement, uses curves and loops to inspire originality, and uses virtually just its own challenges to create breathtaking visuals. The ending is super unfair (having to guess between five finish pads), but how can you care about losing at the end and having to start over when the level is so fun to replay? Actually, the whole level has a slightly unpredictable quality to it that, for me at least, doesn't come off as unfair, but instead just grants me the opportunity to play the level more and more. I could go on about all the little things, like that wall of Time Travels, the tornados at the beginning, the just-hard-enough space/triangle/speed section at the end, etc., but I'd just be gushing. I'm real glad this level exists.

All posts from my account that were made before July 29 2013 are from the point of view of my dad unless it states otherwise.
Last edit: 03 Jan 2015 18:41 by Buzzmusic. Reason: added &
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeff, Cassius_Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1
01 Feb 2015 19:53 #2
I'll definitely be trying these levels if I can find them. (Not sure where to do so)

Maybe i'll have a top 20 someday ;)

Welcome to the future of marble based entertainment.

• Thank you received: 123
02 Feb 2015 01:03 #3
You should check out the CLA ;)

Marble Blast Gold has downloads here: www.marbleblast.com/index.php/downloads/cla
For some reason, the Marble Blast Platinum compilation doesn't seem to be there. Someone might need to upload that...

Not the most ideal place for discussing this, but you should find most of the aforementioned levels there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cassius_Twin

• Thank you received: 1
02 Feb 2015 01:28 #4
So you're actually the most helpful moderator I've ever had contact with. I am super impressed by this community <3

Welcome to the future of marble based entertainment.

• Kalle29
  • I blame ping for losing
  • Thank you received: 754
02 Feb 2015 03:15 #5
Haha, you had like a million Xelna levels there. Personally I think his levels are bad. In fact, I would agree with very little of your top 20; each to his own I guess :P

༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽ You have been visited by the Nivea™ Donger of moisture. Soft skin and good fortune will come to you, but only if you post "thank you Mr. Skeltal" in this thread ༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽

• Buzzmusic
  • Buzzmusic's Avatar Topic Author
  • Developer
  • Developer
  • I make levels and songs.
  • Thank you received: 145
02 Feb 2015 03:56 #6

Haha, you had like a million Xelna levels there. Personally I think his levels are bad.

Haha, really? He's probably my favorite MBG level builder. To each his own indeed. :P I do tend to go through a lot of phases in Marble Blast; sometimes I'm really into speed levels, sometimes I like levels that are lacking in frustration, etc. For a while I've been into extremely difficult long levels, which influenced the list quite a bit I guess. :P

All posts from my account that were made before July 29 2013 are from the point of view of my dad unless it states otherwise.

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 1.090 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.