question-circle Modifications

• Weather
  • Weather's Avatar Topic Author
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Thank you received: 262
01 Feb 2016 01:14 - 11 Feb 2016 03:44 #1
So, recently I talked to QwertyQwertz about making a modification via the webchat. (Speaking of which, I had meant to copy the conversation before I left, but forgot.) I don't plan on doing that anytime soon, especially alone or with a team of only two people. Maybe after I have at least some skill in Blender (free 3d software) and C++ and TorqueScript coding I will reconsider making one.

But I'm wondering how many of you who are currently not developing a mod would want to form a team to make one, considering the amount of time and determination it would require. I do have an idea I wrote down about how we would make one.
Last edit: 11 Feb 2016 03:44 by Weather.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
  • Thank you received: 912
01 Feb 2016 04:07 #2
I'll just say this now: you're better off with a mini-mod over a full-mod. It has almost no new features; the basics like egg, init.cs mods, checkpoint, teleporter will happen, but beyond that, unlikely. It will have a low amount of levels (20-30), but each one is pretty good. See G3orge's Mini Mod or MBRevivded from Threefolder.

Focusing on a full-scale mod will mean levels don't get a priority until features are completed so that levels can be playable, and if the mod dies, you end up with a few levels that have no new features for, some new graphics and a few more things and that's about it.

I am not discouraging here, but just sayin' that based on our history with this, maybe you should start on a smaller scale.

(Also, Blender? That's aiming... interestingly)
(C++? engine hacks time?)

"matan, now i get what you meant a few years back when you said that "the level in mbg is beyond me" after the last rampage i noticed things were insane, and now i truly feel that too" - Dushine, 2015.

• Joey
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Doer of things.
  • Thank you received: 191
01 Feb 2016 04:52 - 01 Feb 2016 04:53 #3

IsraeliRD wrote: See MBRevivded from Threefolder.

@ using a mod you took down from the website as a prime representation of your point

I lol'd, but only slightly so as to not be disruptive. :)

I love you, but your attitude is like that of a shrew. Your options? Take a pill or be my kill. Might I suggest that you wear a vest. Perish in class or be banished to the land of bluegrass, where dreams don't exist as you'll be eternally pissed.
Last edit: 01 Feb 2016 04:53 by Joey.

• Three
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • level designer
  • Thank you received: 349
01 Feb 2016 05:00 #4

Joey wrote:

IsraeliRD wrote: See MBRevivded from Threefolder.

@ using a mod you took down from the website as a prime representation of your point

To be fair, I was the one who wanted it taken off, mainly because of the stolen textures/sound in it. And because it's literally a stale meme in Marble Blast mod format.

Follow me on twitter at @threefolder

• Thank you received: 368
02 Feb 2016 02:49 #5

Weather wrote: So, recently I talked to QwertyQwertz about making a modification via the webchat. (Speaking of which, I had meant to copy the conversation before I left, but forgot.) I don't plan on doing that anytime soon, especially alone or with a team of only two people. Maybe after I have at least some skill in Blender (free 3d software) and C++ and TorqueScript coding I will reconsider making one.

But I'm wondering how many of you who are currently not developing a mod would want to form a team to make one, considering the amount of time and detemmie-- Determination, it would require. I do have an idea I wrote down about how we would make one.

I've started Fubar with a team of 8 developers. I've been working on the project solo since 2009. It takes a ton of your free time and I still have some regrets about the time commitment I've given Fubar. If you have the patience, it can be done, just don't expect it to get done overnight.

~Aayrl

• Thank you received: 0
08 Feb 2016 07:22 #6
Would be interesting to see what you take on this, but I do have a suggestion to make.

Instead of making the usual speedrun levels with gem collecting, time traveling, etc., why don't you make this modification focus on a story? Like, an actual story with a plot, a main character, etc. I know Marble Blast isn't really that type of game since it's an arcade game, but it would be interesting to see how developers would interpret a game like Marble Blast story-wise. How you would do it, I leave it unto you. In fact, I'd be interested to see how gaining gold times would give you secret rewards (e.g. secret levels, hard-to-gain achievements). Heh, just my imagination.

Also, I wish I can help, but I still can't make levels for the sake of my life, and I can't construct in QuArK either (I think QuArK isn't viable on this computer anymore). So, all I can say is, if this is pushing through, good luck!

• Weather
  • Weather's Avatar Topic Author
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Thank you received: 262
08 Feb 2016 19:50 #7
I didn't say I was making a mod...

I have indeed thought a lot about a story, but haven't come up with any ideas I really like. If I made a mod, I think I would rather have it be more like Quaternion with most levels excluding a timer and having puzzles.

I think it would be really cool to have the menus be .mis files (with the exception of the pause menu), with the marble rolling around triggering things, maybe also with the camera in a fixed position that rotates to keep the marble in view.

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 1.093 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.