• Cudds
  • Cudds's Avatar Topic Author
  • Novice Marbler
  • Novice Marbler
  • aka cuddles
  • Thank you received: 4
20 Dec 2016 21:05 #1
Hello,

Today I have a question about a possible addition to the game, my idea of a "league" mode. It would be a type of server just like FFA or Teams, but instead consisted of a bronze, silver, and gold league. Let me explain these in more detail below.

The way they would work is that at the end of any completed match, people could move up or down either league based on game points. For example, at the end of a game, the top player in silver or bronze would move up to the next league, and anyone with the lowest score in gold or silver will fall to the league below it (exception when there is only ONE player in either silver or gold and there are more than 5 players are in a game). At the beginning, every player except the host will be put randomly in either bronze or silver, and the host will start at gold. The host still retains host privileges even if they fail back to bronze. There must be at least one person per league.

Now, this can be already replicated via teams, but I was just wondering if it could be a possible addition so it wouldn't be as hard to administrate such a server.
- 4560were

The Inventor of Wolf Donuts and random other things that don't matter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nockess
  • Respected Marbler
  • Respected Marbler
  • Cheater Supreme
  • Thank you received: 786
20 Dec 2016 21:18 - 20 Dec 2016 21:32 #2
Hm...Kind of an interesting idea.

This sounds a little bit complicated and I would expect this would be hard to code if I understand this correctly. If I do understand this correctly, then I guess what I can say is that I can't think of a good reason to have this. It seems like these leagues could last for only 4 or so games, and then everything would reset when people quit.

I think maybe just a way around this is to just have rating requirements for these leagues. Maybe 1699 and under would be bronze league, 1700 - 1999 would be silver league, and 2000 and above would be gold league. Maybe the color of whichever league you're in could show up in multiplayer matches, like maybe particle effects.

I'm not sure I totally understand this idea unfortunately. Maybe give some scenarios?

Call me Chris!

Discord: Nockess#4107
YouTube: www.youtube.com/Nockess
Custom Levels: marbleland.vaniverse.io/profile/5
Last edit: 20 Dec 2016 21:32 by Nockess.

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
  • Thank you received: 447
20 Dec 2016 21:37 #3
Pretty sure the idea is that all the players in a particular game are sorted into 3 leagues automatically. Place top of your league in the next match you move up, place bottom you move down. The problem with this is that there are hardly ever more than a few players in the game, and you would need at least 4 to function it and a whopping 9 to actually have anyone NOT being promoted/relegated EVERY game in each league. Since most mp games consist of 2-4 players, and parties rarely reach 9 unplanned, the league idea probably wouldn't work in a normal mp setting. However I've had the idea of basing the rating system off leagues and have already talked to some people about it who agree it could be a decent idea.

• Weather
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Thank you received: 262
20 Dec 2016 21:42 #4

ChillyCuddlingFTW wrote: The way they would work is that at the end of any completed match, [the game would crash.]

Fixed.

As Rozi states, this seems unnecessary, and wouldn't work well with under eight or so players which is rather high compared to the average number of players looking for competitive multiplayer at one time. As for players automatically being put in certain leagues upon starting, it seems unfair especially for the players not hosting.

• Cudds
  • Cudds's Avatar Topic Author
  • Novice Marbler
  • Novice Marbler
  • aka cuddles
  • Thank you received: 4
20 Dec 2016 21:43 - 20 Dec 2016 21:44 #5
Let's say...
Player A and B is in gold.
Player C and D is in silver.
Player E is in bronze.

Silver league wins.
Player C goes to gold since he had a greater amount of points than D
Player B falls to silver since he had the lowest points in the league.
Player D falls to bronze since he had the lowest points in the league.
Player A does nothing since he had the most points in the league.
Player E stays since, even though he had the most points in his league, bronze didn't win.

Result:
Gold: A, C
Silver: B
Bronze: E, D

The Inventor of Wolf Donuts and random other things that don't matter.
Last edit: 20 Dec 2016 21:44 by Cudds.

• Connie
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • i code for balls
  • Thank you received: 64
01 Jan 2017 20:21 #6
Your "league" ideea is good,and i would like to add more to it.
To get into your first league,you need to play a bunch of very hard/hard/medium/whatever levels for the system to decide on what league you belong to. Also,when you enter your league,it should give you a flair for what league you are in:

EX:
Bronze = Bronze marble flair
Silver = Silver marble flair
Gold = Gold marble flair
(Platinum = platinum marble flair)
(Unstoppable/Godlike = A Platinum marble with platinum wings)

P.S.:The leagues in the brakets are Optional

For the best Marble Blast levels, head over to:
- marbleland.vaniverse.io/pack/18

connieofro.neocities.org/

[img

• Thank you received: 368
19 Jan 2017 12:19 #7
HiGuy and I discussed a similar concept back in 2014 when we started hosting Dedicated Servers.

I believe HiGuy had actually put some code into the Dedicated Server build that could allow us to restrict players from joining server unless they fell within a certain rating (e..g, between 1400 and 1600 rating).

The idea being we setup a series of Dedicated Servers to help balance gameplay. At the time, we had a lot of our expert players joining servers with beginners and proceed to farm rating out of them until the beginner player quit the community. Not exactly welcoming. The goal of rate limiting a server would allow only beginner players to play with one another until they acquire enough rating to play with some of the veteran players, who would either promptly beat them back down into the beginner range or their skills would hold up against some of our more advanced players.

We ultimately abandoned the idea because the expert players began to hoard rating, so the "expert" server would more or less be a waste of resources 95% of the time. In fact, most of our dedicated servers are currently unused about 70% of the time.

~Aayrl

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.818 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.