• Cudds
  • Cudds's Avatar Topic Author
  • Novice Marbler
  • Novice Marbler
  • aka cuddles
  • Thank you received: 4
02 Feb 2017 01:41 #1
*click*

Being serious now, I know there is some legal backstory around the Marble Blast francise and mods, but, as a stand-a-alone, would it be possible? Most likely free of charge, I know that making a console release of a mod doesn't give it full rights, so I want to hear more about legal addressing of MB.

- 4560were

The Inventor of Wolf Donuts and random other things that don't matter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Three
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • level designer
  • Thank you received: 349
02 Feb 2017 01:53 #2
No.
[strike]But that would be really cool tbh[/strike]

Follow me on twitter at @threefolder

• Thank you received: 198
02 Feb 2017 11:42 #3

Threefolder wrote: No.
[strike]But that would be really cool tbh[/strike]

Why can't we? Do we need to buy the rights for it or something?

(I am sure that someone has discussed a topic like this for MBP, but I'm lazy to find it)

lee is awesome

• HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
02 Feb 2017 17:15 - 02 Feb 2017 17:17 #4
It's not even an issue of rights, it's an issue of what's possible. From what I've just looked up, it sounds like the Switch uses an ARM processor. Currently the only processors that MBG supports are x86 and (for very old Macs) PowerPC. PQ only supports x86. Since we don't have access to the original game's source code, there is no way that we could compile it for the Switch.

Also legal stuff but that doesn't really matter when it's not possible regardless.

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }
Last edit: 02 Feb 2017 17:17 by HiGuy.

• PacPlayer
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Game Dev. for MB1/MBUn
  • Thank you received: 13
02 Feb 2017 21:08 #5

From what I've just looked up, it sounds like the Switch uses an ARM processor. Currently the only processors that MBG supports are x86 and (for very old Macs) PowerPC. PQ only supports x86. Since we don't have access to the original game's source code, there is no way that we could compile it for the Switch.

Why can't we just make a PQ like game in another, more powerful, game engine? (Like Unity ;) or Unreal Engine ) Once we get the marble physics down, it's just like coding for MB. (maybe easier because its newer...)

Also legal stuff but that doesn't really matter when it's not possible regardless.

Lets rename it! Um... Rocket Marbler! (Rocket = Blast, Marbler = Marble)

But in terms of porting PQ to the Nintendo Switch... HiGuy's right.

• Weather
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Thank you received: 262
02 Feb 2017 21:36 #6

PacPlayer wrote: Why can't we just make a PQ like game in another, more powerful, game engine? Once we get the marble physics down, it's just like coding for MB.

That's totally possible (but likely not easy), Quaternion has a different physics engine and it feels much like MB's. Don't bother asking Jeff or HiGuy though, they'll say no immediately. :^)
The following user(s) said Thank You: PacPlayer

• HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
02 Feb 2017 22:33 - 02 Feb 2017 22:35 #7

Why can't we just make a PQ like game in another, more powerful, game engine?

Sure, it's definitely possible and actually one of the most basic tutorials and even a default template in some engines.

Once we get the marble physics down

Crux of the issue right here, turns out this part is rather difficult.

Fun fact: "Marble Blast" is not a trade mark. So you could literally call your new game "Marble Blast" and get away with it. You'd confuse everyone but I mean that's what the AAA industry is doing now anyways.

Quaternion has a different physics engine and it feels much like MB's

Whirligig wrote a plugin that adds support for the Bullet physics engine with Qu. It's... not pretty.

they'll say no immediately

I won't say "no," I'll say "you have fun with that, let me know what you create". ;)

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }
Last edit: 02 Feb 2017 22:35 by HiGuy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeff, Nockess, PacPlayer

• Thank you received: 57
04 Feb 2017 18:37 #8

PacPlayer wrote:

From what I've just looked up, it sounds like the Switch uses an ARM processor. Currently the only processors that MBG supports are x86 and (for very old Macs) PowerPC. PQ only supports x86. Since we don't have access to the original game's source code, there is no way that we could compile it for the Switch.

Why can't we just make a PQ like game in another, more powerful, game engine? (Like Unity ;) or Unreal Engine ) Once we get the marble physics down, it's just like coding for MB. (maybe easier because its newer...)

But in terms of porting PQ to the Nintendo Switch... HiGuy's right.

If only it was that easy. Making a game from the ground up is a shitload of work and MB's physics are pretty unique. I've worked on a bunch of different MB-replication games over the years (Blueteak's project, Project Ascent, etc) and they all failed because MB physics are really hard to replicate in a traditional physics engine. I don't see it happening atm.

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.927 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.