question-circle Custom code for "oob textures" (textures that kill the marble on touch)?

• SummerArmy
  • SummerArmy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Novice Marbler
  • Novice Marbler
  • I make levels.
  • Thank you received: 3
22 May 2022 01:33 #1
I really need this (for my future level) but is it possible with a custom code and not oob triggers? The lava texture in marble it up practically does the same thing without any triggers.
Yeah. NO OOB TRIGGERS, JUST A CUSTOM CODE THAT MAKES CERTAIN TEXTURES KILL THE MARBLE ON TOUCH. This is much better than simply having oob triggers on every poison/lava surfaces which are pretty tedious to place.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Blasted
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Speedrunner and Level Maker
  • Thank you received: 105
22 May 2022 01:53 #2
The next PQ update will include a lava plane that sends you out of bounds when entering it, unless you have a fireball PowerUp with you. But I don't know if that's what you're looking for, since you don't want any OOB triggers.

• SummerArmy
  • SummerArmy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Novice Marbler
  • Novice Marbler
  • I make levels.
  • Thank you received: 3
22 May 2022 02:14 #3
That's not I'm looking for. I want to apply out of bounds to ANY texture, not just lava, without oob triggers. Are there any custom codes that can be added to the .mis file? Marble Blast Powered Up has already implemented them, as it has challenges that makes certain textures (like light blue grid texture in obstacle course) dangerous to touch. I hope such custom code is possible in Torque. Please tell me the custom code that makes certain textures dangerous to touch without oob triggers!

Also, when will be the next PQ update released?

• Weather
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Thank you received: 262
22 May 2022 12:02 #4
For interiors, the best we can do is use a custom material with a ridiculous value. This is what MBPU does, but the numbers might change depending on the level (marble/server/scripts/challenges.cs):
Code:
new MaterialProperty(BannedMaterial) { friction = -10000; restitution = 0; force = 0; }; addMaterialMapping("arrow_warm1", BannedMaterial);
If you assign a material to a texture used in other levels, you'll need to undo it afterwards. For normal textures this would be:
Code:
function clientCbOnMissionEnded() { addMaterialMapping("arrow_warm1", DefaultMaterial); }

• Jiquor
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • STOPX Creator
  • Thank you received: 155
24 May 2022 03:47 - 24 May 2022 03:49 #5

Blasted wrote: The next PQ update will include a lava plane that sends you out of bounds when entering it, unless you have a fireball PowerUp with you. But I don't know if that's what you're looking for, since you don't want any OOB triggers.

And you said blackplate was a horrible idea in the past LOL. That part of the update reminds me of blackplate.

Weather is correct - there's portions of the code that could also be found in M.B.P.U by Whirligig231 - you might want to ask him for permission before you use anything of his though.

Edit: Wow I posted here. RandomityGuy and I were figuring something out for D.L.C 5 of STOP II. Now that it's resolved, I won't be here until I need something else. Who knows how long that might be.

STOPX Creator. Getting better by every release.
Last edit: 24 May 2022 03:49 by Jiquor.

• whirligig
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Thank you received: 261
25 May 2022 20:34 #6

Jiquor wrote: Weather is correct - there's portions of the code that could also be found in M.B.P.U by Whirligig231 - you might want to ask him for permission before you use anything of his though.

FYI, my pronouns are they/them.

The MBPU code is implemented as Weather suggests; it's a weird, hacky solution. There is a better solution available in MBPU 1.6: you can use the functions mSurfaceFriction(), mSurfaceRestitution(), and mSurfaceForce() to get the friction, restitution, and force of the last surface the marble touched. Then you could set friction to something specific like 0.1337 and check it every frame (or every time the marble bounces), forcing the marble OOB if it's sufficiently close (like < 0.0001) to the magic number.

In order to do this, though, you'd need to include some of MBPU 1.6's engine code. If any PQ devs want to get in contact with me to get the relevant code added to the game, I'd be happy to give it away (Discord's probably the best way to contact me for that).

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.799 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.