file Mini-Tourneys

• Frostfire
  • Frostfire's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
  • Thank you received: 447
31 Aug 2016 17:25 - 16 Oct 2016 12:20 #1
My post here will explain the basic rules and the standings of past Mini-Tourneys. Robert's post (the second post) covers videos/writeups (if applicable).

Every time a new tourney is scheduled, I will post a new post in this thread alerting you of the time & date. You can also just check here:

Next Tourney:
Mini-Tourney #9: Sunday, October 15, 11am EST 3pm GMT

Rules/Overview -

Mini-Tourneys are one-day multiplayer events that consist of many different gamemodes/gamemode spinoffs. Players slowly get eliminated throughout the course of a tourney until one player is determined the winner.

Important points:
- They last at least an hour and possibly up to 3-3.5, so make sure you have a chunk of time available if you plan to come.
- Anyone is welcome, regardless of skill or experience, these aren't serious at all, just for fun :)
- It supports 4 players, 16 players, or any number in between, so no need to sign up, just show up at the time of the tourney if you want to play (I appreciate a heads-up that you are coming if possible, but that's not required, just if you see me on webchat or something)

The specific set of events that occur change depending on the number of players. There is a different set of events for every number of players between 4 and 16 inclusive. Some of the events listed below are extremely rare and only appear in one or two plans.

List of possible events

Completed Mini-Tourneys
Last edit: 16 Oct 2016 12:20 by Frostfire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robert, Weather, Yoshicraft224

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 146
31 Aug 2016 17:26 - 22 Sep 2016 16:36 #2
Mini-Tourney #1

Standings

Mini-Tourney #2

Frostfire wants me to say that we had some problems in this one... We couldn't do any collection because it wasn't working, too many people--->lag. Anyway, he says that they will all be resolved by the time of the next one so we wait you all there for more fun.

Standings

Mini-Tourney #3

No video sorry :( I don't think I'll record anymore. But I'll keep posting the standings here (hopefully) and maybe a few words about the Mini-Tourney if anything special happens.

Standings

Mini-Tourney #4

Standings

Mini-Tourney #5

Standings

:>
Last edit: 22 Sep 2016 16:36 by Robert.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frostfire

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
31 Aug 2016 17:40 - 01 Sep 2016 14:01 #3
The next Mini-Tourney (Mini-Tourney #2) will be Saturday the 3rd at 2:00pm EST, 6:00pm GMT. Hope to see you there!

EDIT: There is a very very very small chance (<0.1%) that I will not be able to be present at that time, in which case we will bump it to Sunday. If you want to come plan for Saturday, this is just a forewarning and it's extremely unlikely.
Last edit: 01 Sep 2016 14:01 by Frostfire.

• Yoshicraft224
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
  • no
  • Thank you received: 51
31 Aug 2016 21:45 #4
I'm coming. Probably gonna die early on, but hey. ^_^; Still gonna watch :P Anyone recording?

brapdoors mbg #OhBoyFreeAM!

01 Sep 2016 08:31 #5

Yoshicraft224 wrote: Anyone recording?

Yes, I plan to record all of them. The videos will be in the second post after I upload them.

• Weather
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • ≡
  • Thank you received: 262
01 Sep 2016 11:03 #6
What are these events?
  • Gem Count Gem Hunt
  • Gem Quota
  • Resurrection Round
  • Win Your Pick Racing
Trapdoor Survival sounds pretty fun, but how are you going to do it? Have a custom level with a grid of trapdoors? (I could make one for you, I already have some ideas. :p)

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
01 Sep 2016 12:28 - 01 Sep 2016 13:36 #7
Trapdoor Survival will be on Trapdoor Madness cuz we can't use custom levels. The grid is just about the right size and it's really easy to see if anyone tries to cheat (jumps on the orange finish/start platforms).

Gem Count Gem Hunt = we go by your gem counts only, starting with red as the most important, then yellow, then blue. So if you have 10 reds, 5 yellows, and 1 blue, and your opponent has 9 reds, 20 yellows and 30 blues, you win.

Gem Quota = similar to what we did on frictional battlecube in the test run

Resurrection Round = someone who got eliminated has a chance to get back in (this only occurs once in all 13 of my plans atm)

EDIT: In response to Lee: Triathlon is a combo of gem hunt, KOTH & collection

Win Your Pick Racing = players pick the level they want to race on, and if they lose then they're out.
Last edit: 01 Sep 2016 13:36 by Frostfire.

• Thank you received: 198
01 Sep 2016 13:27 #8
What about Triathlon?

lee is awesome

• Thank you received: 69
01 Sep 2016 14:55 #9
Are these all gonna be at 6pm (GMT) cos that is very awkward for me

SoundCloud page here:

01 Sep 2016 15:35 - 04 Sep 2016 17:58 #10
The first Mini-Tourney :)

For standings check the second post or the end of the video.

Last edit: 04 Sep 2016 17:58 by Robert.

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
01 Sep 2016 15:36 #11
No, I'll schedule times and dates differently. They will mostly be on weekends however you can expect occasional Monday/Wednesday ones - and they should be at all different times in an effort to allow anyone to participate (i.e early morning ones for the Australians, evening ones for Americans... around 2-6 GMT will probably be the most common though, it fits the US/Canada and Europe fairly well)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Evokrypt

• Thank you received: 69
01 Sep 2016 16:48 #12
Weekends and before 6 pm is great. Occasional Mondays would work too for me.

SoundCloud page here:

• Thank you received: 24
02 Sep 2016 00:47 - 02 Sep 2016 00:50 #13
This tourney sounds interesting! I didn't take part in the 1st one because I only came to know of it (I was actually online at that time), but now that I have a better idea of it, I would like to take part in one someday as long as it's held at GMT 2pm for weekdays or GMT 2-4pm for weekends (My time is GMT +8, so yeah...). So I'm afraid I can't take part in the next tourney though...
Last edit: 02 Sep 2016 00:50 by eplipswich.

• Xedron
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Level Speedrunner
  • Thank you received: 294
02 Sep 2016 03:24 #14
Seems like an interesting idea, I think I'll try :)

"cna you salt spalt the slevel salt of 6 year salt who ca salt the lsat" - nobody, 2017

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
02 Sep 2016 12:04 #15
Glad there's so much interest! I will definitely try to schedule them so that everyone will be able to make some of them, so I certainly appreciate seeing what times are best for you.

@eplips: GMT 2 on weekdays will never happen because of school; but GMT 2-4 on weekends will likely be one of the most common start times.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Evokrypt

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
03 Sep 2016 21:15 - 03 Sep 2016 23:39 #16
Mini-tourney 2 happened today - it was quite chaotic! I will work to fix the things that kept it from going smoothly for future tournaments. The main issues were:

[FIXABLE] Too many people in a server) I will set a maximum # of people in one server and adjust my plans to fit it accordingly. This also means that spectators will likely not be able to watch the tourney once eliminated.

[FIXABLE... if you guys help out] Everyone chattering their heads off while I tried to explain the rules for the upcoming round) Self-explanatory. This will not be as bad once I split the tourney into 6-8person servers.

[MAYBE FIXABLE... higuy?] Spectator) you can't unspec. Caused returning to the LS screen about a zillion times when people misclicked.

[HOPEFULLY FIXABLE... more higuy] Collection mode imploded utterly) powerups were also known to not work randomly during racing rounds.

[FIXABLE] Lots of lag) also attributed to the one-server thing

I will post the results tomorrow, thanks all for bearing with! The tourneys are a work-in-progress and should improve as time goes on. I hope no one was scared off by the chaos of this one (besides bm, who i think fled in terror mid-tourney) and will continue to try them in the future.
Last edit: 03 Sep 2016 23:39 by Frostfire.

• Yoshicraft224
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
  • no
  • Thank you received: 51
03 Sep 2016 22:25 #17
*Rekts everyone on KotR*
Next round *Deds to lag on Cardcaddy*

brapdoors mbg #OhBoyFreeAM!

• HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
03 Sep 2016 23:04 #18

[MAYBE FIXABLE... higuy?] Spectator) you can't unspec. Caused returning to the LS screen about a zillion times when people misclicked.

Did you have Force Spectators on? It would definitely cause this. Tsuf has this enabled by default btw.

[HOPEFULLY FIXABLE... more higuy] Collection mode imploded utterly) powerups were also known to not work randomly during racing rounds.

No idea, what map / how many people.

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
03 Sep 2016 23:38 - 03 Sep 2016 23:38 #19

HiGuy wrote:

Did you have Force Spectators on? It would definitely cause this. Tsuf has this enabled by default btw.

Force Spec was off; I am referring to the pre-game screen where you click I'm Ready and Spectate. Once spectate is clicked, even if you uncheck it, you will still be spectating. AFAIK you can't unspec either once the game starts.

No idea, what map / how many people.[/quote]

The collection mode seemed to just destroy itself. The first time we tried it there were ~10 spectators and 2 people playing. Neither of them could get any gems. A bit later we tried again and this time one of them could get gems but the other couldn't.

Later (on a different server (mine) ) we tried collection again with only two people and three spectators. This time both players could get both gem colors. We tried again and one player couldn't get anything whereas the other player could get both colors, and one of the colors counted for two points per gem. It was like a super bugfest.

The racing thing only happened after all the collection bugs and only once (but i assume it would have kept occuring if we had pursued it). It was on Slope Madness and we have 4 people specing, 1 playing, and he couldn't pick up powerups.
Last edit: 03 Sep 2016 23:38 by Frostfire.

04 Sep 2016 17:58 #20
The second Mini-Tourney :)

For more info check the second post.

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
05 Sep 2016 17:05 - 05 Sep 2016 23:32 #21
I believe higuy fixed the collection issue. It was something to do with loads of spectators.

From now on we'll be splitting into different servers, including player-hosted ones. By all means, if you want to be one of the hosts, let me know. I will explain all the events/what map in global chat and then all the hosts (most likely just one or two) can begin the game on their respective servers.

For Mini-Tourney 3, we are shooting for 11:00am EST, 3:00pm GMT on Saturday, September 10. This is liable to change because I have a very unstable refereeing schedule. I will make a new post if it changes.

EDIT: Spectators will not be allowed on servers except when there is a very small number of remaining players, and never when collection is being played (until HiGuy pushes his patch).
Last edit: 05 Sep 2016 23:32 by Frostfire.

• HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
05 Sep 2016 21:49 #22

I believe higuy fixed the collection issue. It was something to do with loads of spectators.

Only on my dev copy, I haven't pushed a patch for it yet. For the best experience, don't have any players spectating when playing collection for now.

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frostfire

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
08 Sep 2016 16:16 #23
Mini-Tourney 3 will (confirmed) be on Saturday the 10th at 11:00 am EST, 3:00 pm GMT. I'll be implementing the server/spectator rule changes and we'll find out what happens. Hope to see you there :)

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
10 Sep 2016 19:24 - 12 Sep 2016 12:11 #24
Mini-Tourney 3 went much better than #2, with a climactic finish on MtM included (Regi won). Thanks to all who participated.

Mini-Tourney #4 will be Sunday the 18th at 11am EST, 3pm GMT. This time seems to be working for everyone except asia/australia. I will hopefully be able to do some Friday night ones that are run in asia's Saturday morning.
Last edit: 12 Sep 2016 12:11 by Frostfire.

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
18 Sep 2016 18:04 - 19 Sep 2016 15:47 #25
Mini-Tourney #4

1. MBOUltimate
2. Frostfire
t3. Eguy
t3. MBCollector
5. HiGuy
6. Weather
7. J@ckRB
8. Xedron
9. Yoshicraft

Mini-Tourney 4 was a lot of fun! We had 9 players, so we got to test another new plan.. so far #s 6 and 9 have been timed. (6 lasted 1 hr 25 mins, 9 lasted 2 hrs 35 mins). We also did 7 (Tourney 3) but I forgot to time it ha. HiGuy made a surprise appearance and recorded, so he should have a video coming at some point! There was an intense battle for the final in which I choked and aimed for a red instead of a yellow (resulting in a one-point loss). MBO was crowned champion. Lots of fun was had! Hope to see you at the next one - likely next weekend. No time confirmed yet though. Thanks to all who participated :)

Mini-Tourney #5 will be Wednesday, September 21, at 6pm EST, 10pm GMT . I'm going for a totally different time/day here so we'll see who can make it. Hope to see you there.
Last edit: 19 Sep 2016 15:47 by Frostfire.

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
22 Sep 2016 14:58 #26
Mini tourney 5 standings can be seen in first post

Mini-Tourney #6 is Wednesday, September 28, at 7pm EST, 11pm GMT . More weekend ones coming in the future, I'm just completely booked on the 24th/25th.

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
29 Sep 2016 15:32 - 30 Sep 2016 22:03 #27
Mini Tourney 6 went well.

Mini Tourney 7 is Saturday October 1 at 6 EST, 10 GMT (pm)

TIME WAS CHANGED
Last edit: 30 Sep 2016 22:03 by Frostfire.

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
04 Oct 2016 15:17 #28
Mini Tourney 8 is Sunday, October 9, @ 11am EST, 3pm GMT

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
14 Oct 2016 13:04 #29
Mini Tourney 9 is Sunday, October 15, at 11am EST, 3pm GMT

Sorry about the 'variety' of times on the past few, hopefully I can get the next one at a different time.

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 1.141 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.