file Hunting For a Win

• IsraeliRD
  • IsraeliRD's Avatar Topic Author
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
  • Thank you received: 912
28 Jul 2010 05:42 #1
This update can also be found at Phil'sEmpire and at TorquePowered's Marble Blast board.

Hey there fellow Marble Blasters!
Last time we left you all with a challenge; to create a level for the Quota game mode of PlatinumQuest. Since then, we have received a number of submissions and have discussed each of them in detail. What interested us the most was that none of the submissions were in fact designed for the Quota game mode… did people forget?
As such, there was no winner of the Quota game mode Level Competition, but one of the submissions did fit into one of the other game modes of PlatinumQuest. As such, we’re happy to announce that RDs.Empire had won with a fantastically fun filled level, and even though it’s not Quota at all, you will meet it as a different game mode.

Now that we have our feet in the water, let’s dive right in with another level competition! This level competition is open for the Hunt game mode only. The Hunt game mode requires you to collect as many gems as possible from the random spawns that will appear within the level which will therefore give you your final score. The gems available to use are Red, Yellow, Blue and Platinum, which in the same order are worth 1, 2, 5 and finally 10 points respectively. Two levels will make it through to PlatinumQuest, so you have a greater chance to make it in.

Your task is to design a level which answers the following guidelines: • Level must include whether it uses a definite starting point (start pad) or a random spawn point (please indicate on your level where spawns are, preferably with an Easter Egg on each spawn point. You may add your own Easter Egg to the level if applicable).• Optional: level may use time travels to extend the period of time of gameplay, but please do not use them excessively (the less the better) and think about their usage and how much they should be worth.• Par Time has a maximum of 2:00.00 minutes. Your level can feature a much lower Par Time.• Difficulty can be anywhere from beginner to low-expert (Marble Blast Platinum level difficulty rating)• Level must be fun and replayable; levels that won’t answer these criteria are most likely to be rejected on the spot.• Level is original and creative; levels will not be rejected if you can’t come up with new ideas. However, if we find these factors to be too low, we will reject the level.• Level does not need any scenery. That will be handled by us.The due date to submit your level is 19th September, 2010. Unlike the previous level competition, you may also build your level in the Level Editor but cannot use any custom interiors. Usage of default interiors such as 1x1, 2x2, 3x3 and the sort are fine.

You are to submit the following:• A mission file (.mis) which contains a Par Time, Author, Description. Optional: start help text.• Any interiors you used (.dif) (if you use QuArK/Constructor)• A map file (.map) (if you use QuArK/Constructor)• You may also submit non-DIF material such as shapes (.dts) with their source files (e.g. .blend for Blender files) so that we may modify them appropriately.Please submit all of these in a ZIP file that is uploaded to mediafire, rapidshare, localhostr or any other file upload service. The download link along with your real name OR nickname, level and description should be submitted to Matan (click here to submit) via a Personal Message. That means you have to register on MarbleBlast.com in order to send the Personal Message.

As a reminder, you cannot release your level until winners have been determined, and winners themselves cannot release their level to the general public at all. Finally, you may submit more than one level to the competition.

As before, we realize that as we progress with new updates you might find that you want to add more to your level or even change some parts. Winners may update their levels accordingly while maintaining or raising the quality of the level as they deem fit. The winners’ names will be posted here on the site at the next update after the competition closes. The next update will be at some point in either October or November.

For those that do not know, Alex Swanson was the main level designer for many of the Marble Blast titles, including Gold, Gold (Xbox), Ultra (Xbox 360) and Online. Alex Swanson has kindly donated two unreleased levels of his own to PlatinumQuest and we’re honoured to have them alongside the levels of our staff. The first one has been seen before in pictures, but never as a final build. As you have most likely guessed, this level will be used for the Hunt game mode.

Original:

PlatinumQuest (in-progress):

Stay tuned for more updates,
- The PlatinumQuest Staff

"matan, now i get what you meant a few years back when you said that "the level in mbg is beyond me" after the last rampage i noticed things were insane, and now i truly feel that too" - Dushine, 2015.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MadMarioSkills
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Thank you received: 0
28 Jul 2010 06:33 #2
That looks amazing! It's also awesome that you got two levels from Alex Swanson.

28 Jul 2010 06:35 #3
This is just plainly epic. Loved the update. I want moar ._.

28 Jul 2010 07:05 #4
Great work, can't wait to see some of the submissions!

28 Jul 2010 07:59 #5
Awesome mode yet, keep up the good work.

28 Jul 2010 08:39 #6
Yay, now we can finally speak about Hunt Mode

• Imperial
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • Custom Levels Lover
  • Thank you received: 86
28 Jul 2010 08:44 #7
Jul 27, 2010, 10:42pm, admin wrote:
Original:

Before seeing the pic under this pic, for a moment, I thought this is the way PlatinumQuest would look.

Anyways, can't wait for PQ to come out O:

Vanquisher / Red Stealer

My youtube channel: www.youtube.com/imperialcuirassier
My twitch channel: www.twitch.tv/imperialcuirassier

• Imperial
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • Custom Levels Lover
  • Thank you received: 86
28 Jul 2010 13:16 #8
Yay with this hunting mode I'll be like playing MBO.

Amazing job!

Vanquisher / Red Stealer

My youtube channel: www.youtube.com/imperialcuirassier
My twitch channel: www.twitch.tv/imperialcuirassier

28 Jul 2010 14:12 #9
Wow... that's awesome.
Are you SURE we can't make our own interiors? I see lots of new Platform Mayhems.

• Thank you received: 18
28 Jul 2010 14:17 #10
Of course you can use QuArK/Cstr. I don't know how that part got in there. I think he means that if you use the LE, you can't stick in any complete MBP or MBG levels. Matan, could you fix that on PE/GG?

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
28 Jul 2010 14:33 #11
@Pablo: Custom interiors means ASTEROIDS and stuff that do not have original maps, or complete MBG/MBP levels. You can make your own interiors (as the description says), you CAN NOT use custom interiors like road.dif, asteroids, 3DMAZE.dif, 10000.dif, 1x1cube3.dif, Constructun_sideways.dif and the sort.
Pablo, Don't just edit the post v.v Secondly this is why you *read* the posts I make and don't just say you're fine with them or quit MSN Now you cannot change them and I'm not allowing you to. Hopefully you learn from this to next time to read.

With regards to the post news itself, I agree with Oaky and also the level in the pics is awesome, as expected from Alex

I wonder how people will try to speedrun the hunt levels, they can't really be speedran, just getting top score... so... :s

"matan, now i get what you meant a few years back when you said that "the level in mbg is beyond me" after the last rampage i noticed things were insane, and now i truly feel that too" - Dushine, 2015.

• Lambencee(Aaron_Y)
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Thank you received: 23
28 Jul 2010 16:26 #12
Awesome!

• RDs.The-dts-guy
  • Developer
  • Developer
  • Blender pls
  • Thank you received: 188
28 Jul 2010 18:06 #13
Is that means i won or my eyes just trick me
Thanks
Good luck with Platinum Quest

Some guy that does DTS shapes and levels.

AWESOME time HINT : When making PQ level place your custom interiors and textures in platinum/data/interiors_pq/custom
makes life easier for you and everyone else :)

• Thank you received: 15
28 Jul 2010 18:36 #14
Yes, RDs.empire, you won.

I'm glad Hunt mode has been revealed to the public - imo it's one of PQ's best game modes right now.

28 Jul 2010 18:59 #15
Congrats RDs.empire and good luck to all participants in the next competition! I'm excited for PQ, I really love hunt mode (especially with random gem spawns), and having Alex's support is really awesome!

• Thank you received: 57
28 Jul 2010 23:10 #16
So this is what you wanted the code for. I was wondering

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
28 Jul 2010 23:25 #17
Jul 28, 2010, 4:10pm, conor wrote:So this is what you wanted the code for. I was wondering We didn't use MBR at all in the end. I still have the ZIP file but never opened it.

29 Jul 2010 08:16 #18
Lol the PQ world rampage will involve even more luck now

29 Jul 2010 08:34 #19
Awesome!

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
29 Jul 2010 15:55 #20
Jul 29, 2010, 8:51am, marble3737 wrote:
Jul 29, 2010, 1:16am, oakster wrote:Lol the PQ world rampage will involve even more luck now

...these shiny things...

platinum gems *

29 Jul 2010 16:21 #21
I have quite some questions about this competition
1) How do you want to see the gem spawns? Should we code them in, or just put all gems in the mission without hiding/unhiding? If different please clarify
2) Please clarify on what we should base the spawning or not of certain gem value, i.e. Platinum could always be a rare spawn of Blue, or are all gem spawns fixed?
3) Should all gem spawns be of equal value? Equal gem count?
4) Are checkpoints allowed/obligated? (with lower par time and shorter levels, the requirement for checkpoints goes down)
5) I don't have MBP, only MBG, can I still participate?
6) Is it allowed to make certain TM's respawn? I don't have this intention right now but if I see an opportunity, is it allowed? Ofcourse, a 5 sec TM could easility have a respawn time of 25 sec and upwards.
7) May I submit the level with temporary textures? I think I'll submit it with MBG textures so I can spend more time on thinking out the level.

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
29 Jul 2010 16:58 #22
1) Put all gems without hiding/unhiding, meaning like a normal level
2) Platinum is rarest, but is appearable without much problems (depending on mission, though)
3) Up to you really. I don't think there's a hunt level where there's equal value/gem count throughout the map. I can tell you that some parts where it's harder to get certain gems the value is higher, but it's also awesome to get a blue/platinum on the easier parts out of nowhere.
4) No checkpoints please
5) Yes, but you'll need to use quark/constructor as most of MBG's interiors are pre-made as in tubes, circles etc which we may not be able to replicate. This is why MBP's 1x1-3x3 etc platforms are better, since we know the sizes and it makes it a lot easier. You got over 1.5 months, so plenty of time.
6) Just place TTs, we'll take care of the balance issues
7) Any texture works (including custom ones, but those must be provided), we'll be replacing the textures ourselves to PQ textures if the level wins.

All the hunt mode stuff had been coded months ago and there's a ton in store for the community, so you don't need to worry about a lot of stuff.

As a reminder, we'll be able to easily modify it for balancing issues or anything else, so nothing to worry about.

29 Jul 2010 17:07 #23
Okay thanks!

29 Jul 2010 18:41 #24
Just stick a gem wherever you want one. The PQ staff will make them different point values and separate them into spawns. Have fun!

If your level doesn't get selected, you can code in the Hunt stuff after PQ comes out and release it as a custom.

29 Jul 2010 19:09 #25
Can we have all IRD and Farhan's MBO maps for Hunt (Marble Land, The Dragon Room, etc)?

29 Jul 2010 21:06 #26
This seems good and all, but the picture seems somehow fetched...i don't like this light that shows the gems and generally the feel of it...

I advice you to make steps forward, but not let us forget what old MB was.

Besides that, seems like the patch is gonna be big both in size and in respect.

29 Jul 2010 21:10 #27
agreed ^^

29 Jul 2010 21:11 #28
Don't worry, the pic is an early version of the level. After you see our trailer vid (coming soon), you won't have any qualms about the feel of PQ.

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
30 Jul 2010 00:16 #29
Jul 29, 2010, 11:41am, pablovasquez wrote:Just stick a gem wherever you want one. The PQ staff will make them different point values and separate them into spawns. Have fun!

If your level doesn't get selected, you can code in the Hunt stuff after PQ comes out and release it as a custom.

It's preferred they put in GemItemRed, GemItemYellow, GemItemBlue and GemItemPlatinum themselves instead of us having to do it. Trust me, the level in the pic took a crapload of time.

Jul 29, 2010, 12:09pm, mbgdemon wrote:Can we have all IRD and Farhan's MBO maps for Hunt (Marble Land, The Dragon Room, etc)?

First of all, Farhan isn't in MB for over a year, he's banned from IA and he never made any maps. I made all maps and secondly I can't confirm any of them being in PQ or not.

Jul 29, 2010, 2:06pm, mkbul wrote:This seems good and all, but the picture seems somehow fetched...i don't like this light that shows the gems and generally the feel of it...

I advice you to make steps forward, but not let us forget what old MB was.

Besides that, seems like the patch is gonna be big both in size and in respect.

It's because it was an inprogress pic and taken with shadows. The final build will have a different lighting style. We also took the steps needed to remember what old MB is but we want people to experience a lot of new stuff that they would absolutely love.

Jul 29, 2010, 2:11pm, pablovasquez wrote:Don't worry, the pic is an early version of the level. After you see our trailer vid (coming soon), you won't have any qualms about the feel of PQ.

Good stuff spoiling something that the community should not know... again Seriously Pablo, this is why I prefer to have stuff cleared with me first before posting. You did not learn now have you?

• Lambencee(Aaron_Y)
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Thank you received: 23
30 Jul 2010 04:13 #30
Your awesome Pablo!

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 1.106 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.