• IsraeliRD
  • IsraeliRD's Avatar Topic Author
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
  • Thank you received: 912
04 Jul 2015 23:08 #1

Hey all,

The Platinum Team is pleased to announce that the next patch of Marble Blast Platinum will be 1.60. Due to large amounts of bugfixes, requests and plenty of additions from us, the next patch is going to be massive.

Among the new features include an in-game screen recorder and encoder and an improved level editor/inspector, new Multiplayer game modes, and above all else: Marble Blast Platinum becomes High Definition. The User Interface will look better in 1080p (no more tiny numbers!) and Gold/Platinum textures are re-made in higher resolution to both look much better, but also prepare for a future Shaders update. This patch (internally called MBP HD) will release during either August or September, and not later. It will also set the stage for other awesome things which we will reveal... whenever we do :)

MBP 1.60 will also include new OpenGL requirements, checking whether the graphics cards supports 2.1 and above. Anything using 2.0 will not be able to open the game. These requirements are in preparation for the future's Shaders Engine, whose release date is unknown (so don't ask us, please).

New Graphics cards requirements for 1.60 and above:

Windows
- Nvidia GeForce 6000 series and above
- ATI Radeon HD 2000 series and above
- Intel HD Graphics

Mac:
- Any Nvidia or ATI/AMD
- Intel HD Graphics

While this major patch is in progress, PlatinumQuest development will continue as normal. Our current goal is programming Marble Blast Platinum to include PlatinumQuest, and thus the need to rebuild the codebase and fix bugs and crashes as we add the features. The Shader Engine development is temporarily halted until we have the time for it again.

Thanks,
The Platinum Team

"matan, now i get what you meant a few years back when you said that "the level in mbg is beyond me" after the last rampage i noticed things were insane, and now i truly feel that too" - Dushine, 2015.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dushine
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • PING STEALLLL!
  • Thank you received: 10
04 Jul 2015 23:22 #2
Forget PQ, MBP is holding up this community more than it needs to. Very good update. I am especially curious as to MBP going HD, I simply cannot wait to check that out. Thanks guys.

Legit Marbler
Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/MBdushine

• Nockess
  • Respected Marbler
  • Respected Marbler
  • Cheater Supreme
  • Thank you received: 786
04 Jul 2015 23:40 #3
Written in the News post:

the next patch of Marble Blast Platinum will be 1.60

Like I could've guessed.
By the way, where is MBP 1.30 and 1.40? You skipped from 1.14/1.20 directly to 1.50! Are they just staff versions or something?

an in-game screen recorder

Umm...isn't that the replay center? Or is it an improved one or something?

new Multiplayer game modes

Please tell me HiGuy fixed Hide and Seek!

Marble Blast Platinum becomes High Definition

This doesn't sound like PQ at all! ;)
I'm interested to see what this will look like. I feel the need to say MBP's already HD, but that's me.

Gold/Platinum textures are re-made in higher resolution to both look much better

So...kinda like a second version of Shader Saturday? Just making the textures look much, much better?
Also, I've never known who are the graphic designers on the team are.

release during either August or September

I'd prefer sooner, please. Understood that it takes time, but that's just what everyone wants.

Well, I'm excited for everything to come! Keep working your butts off and MBP will look better than ever before!

Call me Chris!

Discord: Nockess#4107
YouTube: www.youtube.com/Nockess
Custom Levels: marbleland.vaniverse.io/profile/5

• Three
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • level designer
  • Thank you received: 349
05 Jul 2015 00:13 - 05 Jul 2015 00:36 #4
Well, that's exciting. I can't wait!
I think it would be awesome if the songs could be re-done so they don't peak as much, but that's probably just me.

Follow me on twitter at @threefolder
Last edit: 05 Jul 2015 00:36 by Three.

• HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
05 Jul 2015 00:22 #5

By the way, where is MBP 1.30 and 1.40? You skipped from 1.14/1.20 directly to 1.50! Are they just staff versions or something?

1.30 was the next planned path after 1.20 but due to the addition of MP and the completely rebuilt leaderboards, we felt that a larger version jump was necessary.

Umm...isn't that the replay center? Or is it an improved one or something?

This one records actual videos, rather than just .rec files (which tend to break horribly). They are exported to .ogv which can be uploaded straight to YouTube as well.

Please tell me HiGuy fixed Hide and Seek!

It's on the To-Do list ;)

I'm interested to see what this will look like. I feel the need to say MBP's already HD, but that's me.

We tweeted a preview of this a while back:
Warning: Spoiler!

I'd prefer sooner, please. Understood that it takes time, but that's just what everyone wants.

We're working hard to finish this; we'll try to release as soon as possible but this takes time.

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }

• Thank you received: 406
05 Jul 2015 00:49 #6
Wow, this is totally exciting! I can't wait!
Also, the recorder system, would I have to get a .ogv to .mov converter or something? Or does it convert to .mov when it's uploaded to YouTube? Because .ogv doesn't really sound universal and I've never heard of it before. Sorry if that sounded picky or anything...

• Thank you received: 67
05 Jul 2015 01:15 #7
Ah so this is the big announcement! Nice I'm very excited. I had an idea for making the MBG textures HD awhile back, but never got around to it.

• Thank you received: 5
05 Jul 2015 02:02 #8
Improved level editor? How different will it be?

• Thank you received: 16
05 Jul 2015 03:05 #9
Hmm... In-game screen recording?
Like I suggested a while back? ;)

Here are a few suggestions I wanted to say for a while

First, an idea for possibly making .rec's more accurate: saving the coordinates of the marble every second/tenth or a second and "reseting" it by moving it back to that position. (<- would be great for long levels) Also, save the actual finish time, so the .rec will show the correct finish time no matter what.

Second, if you are going to be adding shadows to the game, give power-ups and gems shadows too (if this is actually possible)

Make it so that you can double click on a .rec (in game) to play it, rather than selecting it then hitting a play button,

Something about the gem count. having three number places up all the time can get annoying, so I was wondering if it was possible to display only the amount of digets needed for the level. For example, in a level with 42 gems, the game would start with 00/00 gems. In a level with 7 gems, the game would start with 0/0 gems, and in a level with, say, 923 gems, the game would start with 000/000 gems.

and finally, in the level search option, say where a level is, not just a Play! button. ex: Teleclimb: Level 120, MGB Custom Levels, Folder CLA Levels M-Z

There was something else I wanted to suggest, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was...

Also! I have a few vector files of MGB tiles I was making, if you want those, they're basically vector drawings of the default MBG tiles I was making so I could re-color them. If you want them, then I can PM the .svg file to you.

i have a flickr

• Thank you received: 8
05 Jul 2015 03:49 #10
Does this mean upgraded skyboxes? :o

• HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
05 Jul 2015 04:32 #11

Nature Freak wrote: Also, the recorder system, would I have to get a .ogv to .mov converter or something? Or does it convert to .mov when it's uploaded to YouTube?

YouTube supports uploading .ogv directly, no need for conversion. Currently there is no plans to add .mov / MPEG support due to that format being protected by software patents (and we like not having to pay money).

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }

• SourSpitballs
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Hello There
  • Thank you received: 3
05 Jul 2015 10:40 #12
Cant Wait!

Marble Blast Boyo

• J@ckRB
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • *some self-degrading humour*
  • Thank you received: 164
05 Jul 2015 10:52 #13
Well there isn't much to say apart from ERMAGERD HYPE.

But the new additions, especially the HD graphics and 1080p rescaling (finally move away from 1024x768? :P) seems a great idea.
Intrigued to see the new LE and especially the new ingame recording system (replacing .recs?)

But definitely excited to see the new additions (as well as tweaks/bugfixes etc.) in action. :D

"funny quote" - funny person 2016 part 2 electric boogaloo

• ChaosUnown
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
  • MB Graphic/Interior Designer
05 Jul 2015 13:52 - 05 Jul 2015 13:53 #14
I'm a little disappointed, when the last news update said something about something new to come, the very last thing I was expecting to hear in the next news post was essentially just MBP but with larger image files, while continuing the streak of teasing (but not showing) anything actually new.
Last edit: 05 Jul 2015 13:53 by ChaosUnown.

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
  • PlatinumQuest Programmer
  • Thank you received: 205
05 Jul 2015 15:37 - 05 Jul 2015 15:37 #15
It will also feature some new stuff that hasn't been announced yet (besides the HD part), including some performance enhancements :)

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.
Last edit: 05 Jul 2015 15:37 by Jeff.

• ChaosUnown
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
05 Jul 2015 15:51 #16
With all due respect new playable content that hasn't been announced yet has been teased several times already. Unless someone is prepared to be straight with what that is, I have little to no interest in the next update.

• IsraeliRD
  • IsraeliRD's Avatar Topic Author
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
  • Thank you received: 912
05 Jul 2015 20:11 #17
Thanks for the kind words from all! I'll answer what people have asked us so far:

Rozi:
- 1.20 was a Mac only release, we wanted Windows but didn't pan out. We originally intended 1.30 with new leaderboards but as HiGuy mentioned we skipped directly 1.50 due to the addition of Multiplayer.
- High def is something Ive always wanted, and the shader engine is a good reason to re-do all textures ourselves in not higher quality, but also prepare them for the shader engine itself. Notice how most textures are low-quality resolution, and in jpg (for low filesize).
- HiGuy is currently scheduled to do all the texturing, but RDS.Empire should help us as well.

Threefolder:
- We don't have access to the original project files, unfortunately.

Nature Freak:
- As HiGuy said, .ogv is directly uploadable to YouTube. It is the extension for theora video files, and you'll find very few programs support it, especially to convert. The biggest recommendation is VLC Player which is capable of encoding it to other formats. My personal way of dealing with it is directly encode it to mp4 in the highest quality I can (least lossy I can do) and then convert it to AVI, which I can then handle normally. The program I used to do it is SDA's own encode program, yua, and use XQ (Extreme Quality) settings.

ACP:
This is more of Jeff's area and he can answer this better than I can.

elnathan:
- .rec is something I don't think we can redo and are a PITA. There is another way in Marble Blast to record but attempts to use it have proven to need far more work (if not impossible) than the in-game screen recorder solution we have.
- From what I understand, shadows won't be possible due to engine limitations
- Will forward to HiGuy, no guarantees
- Gem count is something I did mention in the past and it is really low on the priority list. IIRC Hunt Mode does accept up to 9999 but no more.
- Level Search: we already do. There is one that tells you which directory it is... /data/customs/somefolder/mylevels/coollevel.mis

mfpwnsall:
Unlikely as the skybox has resolution limits, and even if we did you'd see probably new skyboxes altogether

J@ckrb:
- Resolution of 800x600 will be killed, 1024x768 is the new basic. The game is now designed for 1920x1080 -> 1024x768 with the GUI modifying itself for your resolution.
- Will not replace .recs entirely, as some people may prefer those over the new method

ChaosUnown:
We did mention new gamemodes and while yes, we haven't announced which ones or shown them off, it's mainly because they are a work in progress. You will agree that it would be a big mistake to announce those if we can't get them to work properly or cancel them due to time restrictions, no? You may understand the disappointment is even greater in these cases. For example, an unannounced game-mode has the weirdest game-crashes we've seen and it require far more engine hacks than we would have liked.

The community does a lot of the discussion with us on the Leaderboards and many have suggested ideas. For examples new leaderboards with more data (you can see some form of it under Scores on the main site), and some of the planned game-modes. They also told us of critical bugs, such as challenges and super challenges crashing games, or handicaps not working properly, both of which are high on our priority list.

Once we are ready to show-case these features and go over them, we will make the proper announcements. You have already seen them in the form of the 'Under the Hood' serieses, or PQ's spotlights. Once they're ready, they'll be shown.

"matan, now i get what you meant a few years back when you said that "the level in mbg is beyond me" after the last rampage i noticed things were insane, and now i truly feel that too" - Dushine, 2015.

• Ralph
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Matan's Fervent Fan
  • Thank you received: 136
06 Jul 2015 02:31 #18
With Matan as president, nothing can go wrong with the Platinum Team.

You forget a thousand things everyday. Make sure Marble Blast isn't one of 'em.
Instagram : ralphfrommb

• ChaosUnown
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
06 Jul 2015 03:47 #19
It's probably an equally big mistake to be consistently hinting at them even though you're clearly not even past making the modes not crash. As a content creator, especially in game development, you can only wink and tease at something so much until your audience starts realizing you're wasting their time. You're better off not even hinting at something that you know very well is still on the fence of even being a possibility. Given this current situation, take that away and all that's really been confirmed is a supposed "HD" version of Platinum, which is just larger image sizes to compensate for bigger resolutions.

I apologize if it sounds like I'm rambling on at this point, but if this is the direction the Platinum Team is prepared to continue going then I reserve my right as a "consumer" (I put that term loosely because this is a free game) to stop supporting and paying attention to the development. You've had around 2 years to work on PQ and get it out the door in a quality efficient manner, but instead 80% of that time has been used to needlessly tweak Platinum, a mod that should have been long done with.

Actually, now that I've had a chance to re-read what I've said, it sounds like I'm already done putting up with it, so I'm just going to go ahead and retire. I'm finished. You're free to operate this game however you wish.

• GhostKoi
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Still playing MB on an iMac G5
  • Thank you received: 7
06 Jul 2015 04:17 #20
Will the new HD resolution impact how close the camera is to the Marble in game?

I noticed when messing around with higher resolutions in MBG through the console anything above a certain resolution would cause the in-game camera to move closer to the Marble (loosing perspective as a result). I did take it to an extreme 5120x1440 though :silly: ...

Can't wait! :)

Apple 17" iMac G5 MID 2005 2GHz 1GB-RAM SuperDrive OS X 10.6.8 -Maybe I'll go back to Tiger when I finish my gaming PC!

• Weather
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Thank you received: 262
11 Jul 2015 00:07 #21
Dis looks like gold. Like, not MBG, GOLD.

• Blasted
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Speedrunner and Level Maker
  • Thank you received: 105
15 Jul 2015 03:37 - 15 Jul 2015 03:45 #22

New Graphics cards requirements for 1.60 and above:

Windows
- Nvidia GeForce 6000 series and above
- ATI Radeon HD 2000 series and above
- Intel HD Graphics

All three graphics cards or one of them? The reason I ask that is because I only have Intel HD Graphics and it may be impossible to cram in two more graphics cards.

...more specifically, I have Intel(R) HD Graphics Family.
Last edit: 15 Jul 2015 03:45 by Blasted. Reason: Details, man. They are important.

• whirligig
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Thank you received: 261
15 Jul 2015 03:51 #23
Although I'm not one of the Platinum team members, I think I can say with full confidence that nobody would ever be required to have three graphics cards to play Marble Blast. Especially not from three different brands.

If you have just Intel HD Graphics, you'll be fine. Trust me.

• Kalle29
  • I blame ping for losing
  • Thank you received: 754
15 Jul 2015 04:03 #24
Can confirm what whirligig said. What it means is that some people who use older computers will have to upgrade, it shouldn't affect the vast majority of users at all.

༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽ You have been visited by the Nivea™ Donger of moisture. Soft skin and good fortune will come to you, but only if you post "thank you Mr. Skeltal" in this thread ༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽

• GhostKoi
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Still playing MB on an iMac G5
  • Thank you received: 7
15 Jul 2015 17:32 - 15 Jul 2015 17:33 #25
The way most motherboards handle a dual GPU setup is through either SLI (nVidia) or Crossfire (AMD). When you run a dual card setup, these GPUs are placed in an SLI/Crossfire bridge which essentially links them together. This allows the motherboard to read them as "one" distinct card and distribute information/access processing power accordingly. Since these cards are (sort of) interpreted as "one" large card by the motherboard, you could never run two different cards at the same time. The motherboard is not "smart" enough to evenly distribute information across two different cards and an AMD card would never be compatible with an SLI bridge. Even different versions of the same reference could be problematic due to differing clock speeds.

In short, what everyone else above me said! :)

Apple 17" iMac G5 MID 2005 2GHz 1GB-RAM SuperDrive OS X 10.6.8 -Maybe I'll go back to Tiger when I finish my gaming PC!
Last edit: 15 Jul 2015 17:33 by GhostKoi.

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 1.111 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.