• IsraeliRD
  • IsraeliRD's Avatar Topic Author
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
  • Thank you received: 912
18 Sep 2015 17:30 #1

Hi everyone,

For quite a while now we have known that Mac users who play Marble Blast Gold are at an advantage over Windows users when it comes to 'Internal Clock' levels. The reason behind it, to quote HiGuy: "...the Mac engine was already unlocked, without any modification. For some reason (probably a bug on GG's part), the Mac engine does not lock FPS to 60 by default. On Windows, this bug is the opposite, where you cannot unlock the framerate."

We recently discussed the matter and came up with a solution: to use Derpking's Framerate Unlocker mod, which allows MBG to reach 1000fps. By regular SDA rules this is forbidden as this modifies original game code. However I discussed it with them and as the game behvarior does not change in any other way, it can be accepted for use.

These are the new standards for World Records and all players of this community are expected to follow them:
- Marble Blast Gold (Vanilla): Framerate Unlocker is recommended to be used by default. It is up to a player's discretion whether to use it or not for any level.
- Marble Blast Gold (Vanilla): Unlocker does not break the .recs, thus you must submit in .rec format your World Records. Restart-Screenshot glitch WRs must use Video Proof (.avi,.mp4) and CAN use the Framerate Unlocker mod. See WRR4 rules for video submission.

In addition to that, the following applies:
- Marble Blast Platinum: Internal Clock WRs will not be removed from the Leaderboards
- Marble Blast Platinum: the previously announced 60fps timer won't be implemented, instead the timer will continue to be unlocked as its current state.

Download the Framerate Unlocker mod for Marble Blast Gold: Windows version, Macintosh version. Instructions are provided in the download description.

Framerate Unlocker and Marble Blast Extender is by Derpking and we thank him for creating it for us. It is used in Marble Blast Platinum and extended further to allow even more engine modifications.

Thanks,
Matan

"matan, now i get what you meant a few years back when you said that "the level in mbg is beyond me" after the last rampage i noticed things were insane, and now i truly feel that too" - Dushine, 2015.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 8
18 Sep 2015 18:43 #2
I didn't realize this was such a huge issue. This shouldn't matter for multiplayer, right?

• Thank you received: 8
18 Sep 2015 19:12 #3
Wow, so my only two world records will not be removed! It's official boys and gals! Nah but seriously, good job to Derpking for creating this, now we'll all have a fairer chance at the short levels.

• whirligig
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Thank you received: 261
18 Sep 2015 19:46 #4
@MF: I highly doubt this would make a big difference for multiplayer, because usually the networking tends to be a lot slower than the 60-FPS cap. (That is, framerate on the client side wouldn't be a deciding factor.) But a dev can confirm/deny this.

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
  • PlatinumQuest Programmer
  • Thank you received: 205
18 Sep 2015 21:47 #5

mfpwnsall wrote: I didn't realize this was such a huge issue. This shouldn't matter for multiplayer, right?

What? MBG doesn't have multiplayer....and frame rate was already unlocked in MBP for a while now......

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.

• Thank you received: 401
18 Sep 2015 21:49 #6

whirligig wrote: @MF: I highly doubt this would make a big difference for multiplayer, because usually the networking tends to be a lot slower than the 60-FPS cap. (That is, framerate on the client side wouldn't be a deciding factor.) But a dev can confirm/deny this.

MBP has had an unlocked frame rate for a while now without any issues. Any multiplayer system which is affected by client framerates would be fundamentally broken.

"You know you've spelled something wrong when the only search results are Jeff convos" - HiGuy

• Battlecube314
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • 100% Gold/Ultimate/Awesome!!
  • Thank you received: 155
19 Sep 2015 00:16 #7
Ok, now I don't need to be worried about any times being wiped.

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 1.000 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.