file June 15, 2016 - My old level ideas, part 1

• hPerks
  • hPerks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • getting the joj done
More
15 Jun 2016 22:47 - 15 Jun 2016 22:48 #1 by hPerks
So about 80-90% of the levels I start building usually either go unfinished or, in rare cases, unreleased. Partly laziness, partly busyness (business? busy-ness?), and partly the fact that as I release more and more levels, I inevitably begin to hold myself to higher and higher standards, expecting each level to be better than the one before it. And after a while, that's not really a sustainable system.

My number one priority when making levels is creativity/originality - I want each level to be unique in some way, whether it's by introducing new challenges/techniques, a new gimmick, and/or an interesting overall structure (Speedrunning 101 for example had all three of those.) I've been trying to be less of a perfectionist on that front, cause it's likely that I'll end up "remaking" an already existing level anyway, considering there's over 3000 levels in the CLA. But I think we can all agree that some themes have been beaten to the ground more than others, and I try to stay away from those.

But beyond that, I've been focusing a lot more now on making levels fun and easy to pick up, with the right amount of space and no clunky bits. MPMC and my other old levels all had a couple areas that you could tell weren't tested very much - this was partly because back then, I didn't have a PC, so I could only convert maps on my dad's computer. I think my new levels have been better in those areas, and I hope to keep it that way.

That does mean however that I'm having to revise my levels quite a lot, and sometimes even start over from scratch with a different layout. A level like Gravity Swap, while it did (somehow) win Level of the Month, would not have made it past my filter today - the layout is too bland and spacious, and parts of it are just annoyingly clunky. If I had to do it all over again, I would have made it more closed, maybe even putting walls and a ceiling around some parts to give a clearer sense of direction. That kind of thing. Or I might have just given up and switched to a different idea, as I seem to do a lot nowadays. ;)

But given that, I was thinking that instead of just abandoning my recent level ideas entirely, I would post them publicly, with explanations as to why I lost interest in them, and see which ones people like the best. So I'll be doing that for the next little bit, starting with these four videos that I posted earlier today.

In no particular order:

Pulse
This one was inspired by Super Mario Galaxy's Beat Block Galaxy. The background music (also called "Pulse") was written specifically for this level, with the metronome sounds synchronized with the "beat blocks" and other things. Two reasons I decided to abandon this idea back then: 1) intense lag, as you can see, and 2) I found out that a level with a similar theme had already been made. Still, I might keep going with it at some point - the mechanics seem to work nicely.

Powerup Potpourri
This one I made in January 2016, and many of the ideas in it would later be used in the Perknique Puzzles. You can see The Great Wall, Helicopter Hopper, Precision Jumping and (somewhat) Perplexing Plunge are all in there, as well as your run-of-the-mill powerup tricks like the shock absorber and super speed stuff. I was intending to introduce more powerup combos in the later parts of the level, but I thought that would be hard to pull off while still sticking with the semi-compact layout of the level. Anyway, I'm generally happy with how the Perknique Puzzles turned out, so there you go.

It Takes Two... (Perknique Puzzles)
This one was a leftover from the Perknique Puzzles which I wanted to put in Pack 2, but I couldn't think of any more good ideas (and I had a lot of crap ones :P)

Wedge Issues (Perknique Puzzles: Pathfinding Paradoxes)
This one was intended to be part of a "sequel" pack to the Perknique Puzzles, which was centered more around pathfinding rather than exclusively technique. I haven't really sat down and tried to think of more ideas in that vein, so it might work as a future level pack. We'll see. For now, enjoy!

Feel free to tell me what you think of these, and stay tuned 'cause I've got plenty more where they came from. (You should see my Constructor/textures folder :P)

In other news, I've started work on a much larger programming project which I hope to update you guys on soon. Until then, thanks for stopping by!

"it's funny how the super monkey ball game without monkeys is the one that attracts more furries" - eblu 2018

Watch my videos here! - NEW: av'is levels: the movie!
Download my levels here! - NEW: Specific Gravity
Listen to my music here! - NEW: Memory Lane
Last edit: 15 Jun 2016 22:48 by hPerks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BlastedMarble
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • Multiplayer Level Maker
More
15 Jun 2016 23:53 #2 by BlastedMarble
Replied by BlastedMarble on topic June 15, 2016 - My old level ideas, part 1

hPerks wrote:
Pulse
This one was inspired by Super Mario Galaxy's Beat Block Galaxy. The background music (also called "Pulse") was written specifically for this level, with the metronome sounds synchronized with the "beat blocks" and other things. Two reasons I decided to abandon this idea back then: 1) intense lag, as you can see, and 2) I found out that a level with a similar theme had already been made. Still, I might keep going with it at some point - the mechanics seem to work nicely.

Believe it or not, I actually thought of doing a level quite similar to this particular one. Only this time, the inspiration would come from Super Mario 3D World's Beep Block Skyway. I already have a level like that in the making. Will probably remake it after realizing the scaling object mechanic can do better.

"Don't overanalyze or take deeply to heart any sort of misunderstanding, harsh criticism, or even slightly negative interaction." -Eguy 2017

My Twitch: www.twitch.tv/blastedmarble
My Twitter: twitter.com/BlastedMarble

• Weather
  • Away
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
More
15 Jun 2016 23:59 #3 by Weather
Replied by Weather on topic June 15, 2016 - My old level ideas, part 1

BlastedMarble wrote:
Only this time, the inspiration would come from Super Mario 3D World's Beep Block Skyway.

Believe it or not, I made a level like that (same inspiration too) a while ago. :P It's broken though, so like you I might make a better version, but more likely just implement the idea into a larger level.

hPerks wrote:
In other news, I've started work on a much larger programming project which I hope to update you guys on soon.

tl;dr joj song generator

• Three
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • level designer
More
16 Jun 2016 00:18 #4 by Three
Replied by Three on topic June 15, 2016 - My old level ideas, part 1

hPerks wrote:
That does mean however that I'm having to revise my levels quite a lot, and sometimes even start over from scratch with a different layout. A level like Gravity Swap, while it did (somehow) win Level of the Month, would not have made it past my filter today - the layout is too bland and spacious, and parts of it are just annoyingly clunky. If I had to do it all over again, I would have made it more closed, maybe even putting walls and a ceiling around some parts to give a clearer sense of direction. That kind of thing. Or I might have just given up and switched to a different idea, as I seem to do a lot nowadays. ;)

Funnily enough, my first 2015 level (Flip Out!) was inspired by your Gravity Swap level.

hPerks wrote:
This one was inspired by Super Mario Galaxy's Beat Block Galaxy.

Great minds are inspired by the same source material, I guess *coughthatlevelintrailer2cough*

Follow me on twitter at @threefolder

More
16 Jun 2016 00:25 #5 by Nockess
Replied by Nockess on topic June 15, 2016 - My old level ideas, part 1
Very impressed with these ideas. These levels would look like a lot of fun to play - I suggest you finish the incomplete levels (if you can find a way to do so). I especially like the "It Takes Two" idea.

hPerks wrote:
If I had to do it all over again,

Let that sink in... ;)

First player ever to get all of the Awesome Times.

Moderators: AayrlKalle29Regislian