file MBMap2Dif Issue [Mac] :(

• Evokrypt
  • Evokrypt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Thank you received: 69
31 May 2016 16:32 #1
Sorry to post again, but I am now having an issue with the MBMap2Dif software for Mac. Before today, it worked absolutely fine, and the largest .map file I converted was 265 MB. I had one I was trying to convert today which was 1 MB, but it didn't work, so I tried splitting it into three smaller files and then doing each one - still didn't work. There was no actual .dif file created. I don't know why it's not working because it was working perfectly well before today. How might I fix this? I have tried re-downloading it like three times and re-saving the .csx files as .map files at least five times over.

Thank you.

SoundCloud page here:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Weather
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Thank you received: 262
31 May 2016 16:52 - 31 May 2016 16:53 #2
Well, Map2Dif is a single file, so re-downloading it shouldn't make a difference.
Try Map2Dif+ .
Last edit: 31 May 2016 16:53 by Weather.

• Evokrypt
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
31 May 2016 18:31 #3
Ah, thank you, didn't even know that existed. Will try it tomorrow.

SoundCloud page here:

• Evokrypt
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
24 Jun 2016 17:38 #4
I tried running Map2Dif+ today and it's just a load of commands and stuff. I don't get how to use it to actually convert my files. Could someone help? Cheers

SoundCloud page here:

• Weather
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
24 Jun 2016 18:30 #5
Open the file with Map2Dif. Easiest way to do this (at least on Windows) is to drag the .map file over Map2Dif.

• Evokrypt
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
24 Jun 2016 21:34 - 24 Jun 2016 22:19 #6
I have tried doing that. Something appeared in the text but I couldn't find a .dif file. Also, I quitted it and then reopened it, but dragging the file on then did nothing. :( Btw, I am on a Mac. I also tried doing Command-O (Import) but it wouldn't let my load a .map file.

EDIT: Ok, so I just noticed this on the download page:

Mac instructions (command line):
cd into directory containing .map file and textures
(make sure the map2dif file is there too)
./map2dif_plus_mbg -t . -o . <mapname.map>

I can't actually type into the console thingy, what do I need to do? Or is this saying to do something else?

SoundCloud page here:
Last edit: 24 Jun 2016 22:19 by Evokrypt.

• HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
25 Jun 2016 04:59 - 25 Jun 2016 05:00 #7
You appear to have downloaded the command-line version of Map2Dif that runs in Terminal. I'd recommend you use this instead: marbleblast.com/index.php/downloads/extr...extras/197-mbmap2dif It's an actual application that you can drag files onto and open like you'd expect. Just make sure to read the directions first and have a folder for all the textures and your map files so they convert correctly.

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }
Last edit: 25 Jun 2016 05:00 by HiGuy.

• Evokrypt
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
25 Jun 2016 09:45 - 25 Jun 2016 11:58 #8
Ah ok. Weather recommended downloading MBMap2Dif+, but if I re-download the MBMap2Dif application it should work.

EDIT: Has not worked. I have re-downloaded this several times, but don't think that would cause a problem. Just tried deleting my trash which contained all of the other downloaded copies, and also deleted MBMap2Dif+. I have before tried reconverting the .csx files to .map files, but that never worked either.

EDIT 2: So now we have an even more interesting problem. I remade the .map file (although it was pretty darn huge at 1 MB) and converted it with MBMap2Dif, which worked! Hurrah! But when I go to the LE, it doesn't even show up when I click on the interior's name. After I have clicked on this one, it doesn't let any other interiors show up either when I click on them.

SoundCloud page here:
Last edit: 25 Jun 2016 11:58 by Evokrypt. Reason: More info!

• Evokrypt
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
16 Jul 2016 10:01 #9
Sorry for the bump. Would have been nice if someone replied though. I have noticed that MBMap2Dif will convert some of my .map files, but not all. There are 3 which come up with this message: Fatal Error! (warning box heading) "There was an error converting <filename>." (message). The files have these problems:

• File 1: A few small brushes are present (20 cylinders of size 0.25*0.25*0.125 with 16 sides, and a few 'ramps' as Constructor calls them of size 0.25*0.25*0.25). Also uses some spherical objects, and a few of these spherical objects have been CSG Subtracted, but only in one axis - i.e. there are a few 'truncated spheres'.
  • File 2: There are literally no problems, apart from the fact I used Radial Clone which isn't even a User plugin.
  • File 3: Used Scale Two Zero.

I have a feeling that some of these issues have probably already been discussed somewhere on the Forums but can't find them. What is the minimum brush size I should expect to convert correctly? One other question too, if I rename textures after Constructor has exported them with the Legacy DIF process, will the interior still show up in the LE?

SoundCloud page here:

• Weather
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
16 Jul 2016 11:57 - 16 Jul 2016 11:59 #10

TheEvoker wrote: File 1: A few small brushes are present (20 cylinders of size 0.25*0.25*0.125 with 16 sides, and a few 'ramps' as Constructor calls them of size 0.25*0.25*0.25). Also uses some spherical objects, and a few of these spherical objects have been CSG Subtracted, but only in one axis - i.e. there are a few 'truncated spheres'.

If you're using cylinders that small, you should probably re-create the cylinders with 6-8 sides. If this still does not work, set the grid size to something really small that equals one divided by a power of 2 (so for example, 0.0625, and you should usually work with numbers like these or powers of 2), select all of the vertices in the cylinders (you may need to move them away from other brushes to avoid selecting any vertices on them), then use Quantize under the modify tab.
Also, you can't use spheres as Map2Dif freaks out if it sees one.

TheEvoker wrote: File 3: Used Scale Two Zero.

Make sure there are no red lines afterwards. If there are, it means a face isn't completely flat and won't export properly.

TheEvoker wrote: What is the minimum brush size I should expect to convert correctly?

As far as I know, anything above zero should work.

TheEvoker wrote: One other question too, if I rename textures after Constructor has exported them with the Legacy DIF process, will the interior still show up in the LE?

Wait, are you using Constructor's built-in exporter? That won't work. You need to use some version of Map2Dif.
But to answer your question, yes it will. Just make sure textures with the same name are in MBP's directory and are in some part of the path you take to get to the folder containing the interior (so if it's in platinum/data/interiors/ then all the textures should also be there, and if it's in some folder inside interiors then the textures can be in either.).
Last edit: 16 Jul 2016 11:59 by Weather.

• Evokrypt
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
16 Jul 2016 12:32 - 16 Jul 2016 12:58 #11
Thanks for your help Weather.

I will try using cylinders with less sides. Probably best.

Make sure there are no red lines afterwards.

I'm pretty sure there weren't any, I am aware of this.

Wait, are you using Constructor's built-in exporter?

I am using that to get the textures, but not to get the .dif file. Once I have the textures and the .dif file, I delete the .dif file and then use MBMap2Dif.

Just make sure textures with the same name are in MBP's directory and are in some part of the path you take to get to the folder containing the interior (so if it's in platinum/data/interiors/ then all the textures should also be there, and if it's in some folder inside interiors then the textures can be in either.).

?? Are you just saying to put the textures and interior in platinum/data/interiors? That's what I would normally do anyway.

Another quick question - if I can't do a sphere :(, [strike]could I stack up some cylinders and then move the vertices in towards the centre if I solved the equations for a sphere (in x, y, z) and a plane (in x, y), finding the coordinates of each vertex? That surely wouldn't mess up Constructor would it?[/strike] EDIT: Ain't happening. Too complicated.

The reason why I so adamantly want a sphere is for a few trees, but I want the whole level to have a particular look and a sphere is what looks best. As for alternatives, I don't want to use cylinders and have lampshades for trees :lol: Neither do I want cubes. Maybe if I used the bevel option when creating a cube, to have it look 'octagonal'?

SoundCloud page here:
Last edit: 16 Jul 2016 12:58 by Evokrypt.

• Three
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • level designer
  • Thank you received: 349
16 Jul 2016 13:24 #12

TheEvoker wrote:

• File 1: A few small brushes are present (20 cylinders of size 0.25*0.25*0.125 with 16 sides, and a few 'ramps' as Constructor calls them of size 0.25*0.25*0.25). Also uses some spherical objects, and a few of these spherical objects have been CSG Subtracted, but only in one axis - i.e. there are a few 'truncated spheres'.
  • File 2: There are literally no problems, apart from the fact I used Radial Clone which isn't even a User plugin.
  • File 3: Used Scale Two Zero.

1. Uhh, yeah, that's almost certainly not gonna work. The cylinders should be okay, but the spheres = death in map2dif, even when CSG Subtracted.

2. Rounding issue with radial clone. What you want to do is select all the verticies of whatever you radial cloned, go into the Modify section of the top-left panel, se tyour grid spacing to around 0.03125, and then click Quantize. If you radial cloned on more than one axis you might come across more issues.

3. I'm not very good with Scale Two Zero myself so HiGuy can probably help you there. Just be warned that it's tough to actually get working.

Follow me on twitter at @threefolder

• Weather
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
16 Jul 2016 13:29 #13

TheEvoker wrote: I am using that to get the textures, but not to get the .dif file. Once I have the textures and the .dif file, I delete the .dif file and then use MBMap2Dif.

I don't understand what you're doing, but whatever works.

TheEvoker wrote: Are you just saying to put the textures and interior in platinum/data/interiors? That's what I would normally do anyway.

Yep.

TheEvoker wrote: Another quick question - if I can't do a sphere :(, [strike]could I stack up some cylinders and then move the vertices in towards the centre if I solved the equations for a sphere (in x, y, z) and a plane (in x, y), finding the coordinates of each vertex? That surely wouldn't mess up Constructor would it?[/strike] EDIT: Ain't happening. Too complicated.

Well that would probably work but chances are you would need to quantize it.

• Evokrypt
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
16 Jul 2016 17:16 - 16 Jul 2016 17:30 #14
Ok, so I haven't had chance to get round to sorting all 3 files, but here's an update for File 1:

The .map file exported correctly, and it also shows up in the LE. Textures weren't even needed in platinum/data/interiors as they are already there I suppose. The small cylinders work fine at 6 sides. Don't really need 16 sides but will try 8 (so I don't have hexagons).

However, my 'sphere' created from cylinders did not show up at all. In Constructor, there were red lines whenever I had moved vertices. But I don't really know why because the faces should have still been 'flat'. Still, I went ahead to try and see if it would work. I also quantised the vertices afterwards to a grid spacing of 0.03125, as suggested. I guess my tree is going to have to be a green lampshade :unsure: Any suggestions for rounded-looking trees? EDIT: Would a cone (if you clicked the 'make pyramid' option) convert okay?

SoundCloud page here:
Last edit: 16 Jul 2016 17:30 by Evokrypt.

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.992 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.