exclamation-circle 1v1 MB Multiplayer Tournament

• Frostfire
  • Frostfire's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
  • Thank you received: 447
28 Feb 2015 19:54 - 27 May 2015 13:45 #1
Hey everybody - I'm here announcing the next multiplayer tournament! The last one was a bit of a disaster, but we here at Marble Blast.com don't give up (or maybe it's just stupidity). Don't worry though - there are some changes that will make this one work just fine. A few others and I have worked out some tricky details, which should prevent any trouble.
The tournament will be split into three parts: Signups, the Swiss Style Rounds, and the Playoffs. I'll go over each of them separately.

The second post on this thread has links to the Swiss Rounds and the Playoff Bracket (the latter once the Swiss Rounds are over) as well as a list of those signed up and, later, what place they came in.

SIGNUPS

Anybody can sign up for the tournament! Anybody at all (as long as they're not banned, of course…), new players and old. Inexperienced players are welcome to try their luck against some of the older & more experienced players. It doesn't matter how good you are! To sign up, simply post on this thread below stating clearly that you want to sign up.

Time frame of the tournament:
Signups will last until March 7th, 9am EST (2pm GMT). Then the first round will be drawn and the tournament will begin!
The Swiss Rounds will last exactly 2 weeks per round. As soon as one round is over, the matches for the next round will be generated.
The Playoffs will last exactly 2 weeks per round. As soon as one round is over, the matches for the next round will be generated.

Thus, this tournament will have exact time frames, which will be available as soon as the signups are finished.

SWISS STYLE ROUNDS

Directly from Wikipedia, so there is no confusion:

"A Swiss-system tournament is a tournament which uses a non-elimination format. There are several rounds of competition, but considerably fewer rounds than in a round-robin tournament, so each competitor (team or individual) does not play every other competitor. Competitors meet one-to-one in each round and are paired using a predetermined set of rules designed to ensure that as far as possible a competitor plays competitors with the same current score, subject to not playing the same opponent more than once. The winner is the competitor with the highest aggregate points earned in all rounds."

"There are a predetermined number of rounds and a predetermined scoring system. All competitors play in each round unless there is an odd number of competitors."
"Competitors are paired based on approximately how well (or poorly) they have performed so far. In the first round, competitors are paired either according to some pattern or randomly (according to common practice in that type of game or sport).In subsequent rounds, competitors are sorted according to their cumulative scores and are assigned opponents with the same or similar score up to that point."
So basically: First round is random. From there, depending on how well you do, you get pitted against somebody of the same overall score (WHO YOU HAVE NOT PLAYED YET). There's a set number of rounds (this will depend on how many players we get, like 5-10). A win is 1 point, and a loss is 0. The computer keeps track of the standings and assigns the matches. At the end of all rounds, the top players will make the playoffs.

- If there are less than 10 players total, the top 4 make the playoffs.
- If there are less than 25 players total, the top 8 make the playoffs.
- If there are 25 or more players total, the top 16 make the playoffs.

Please note that, as said above, each round will last exactly 2 weeks. As soon as one round is over, the next round's matches will be generated. Failure to respect this time frame is spoken of below.

HOW MATCHES ARE PLAYED IN THE SWISS ROUNDS

Basic:
- Matches are Best of Five
- All rounds have a time frame of two weeks, and thus every match has a time frame of two weeks. If both players in the match are not online enough to just 'meet up' for their match, then they NEED TO set up a time that they can both be on. If an issue pops up, a player can cancel the set time up to 24 hours before it is set to happen. If the issue happens after that, then they have failed to respect the set time. If one of them fails to respect this set time, he will lose the match. If both players fail to respect this set time, they will BOTH RECEIVE A LOSS. If both players fail to set up a time altogether, and don't meet for their match within the 2-week round, they will both receive a loss. IMPORTANT: If a player fails to respect a set time more than once, or purposefully avoids setting up one, he will be disqualified entirely from the tournament.
- For the playoffs, rounds will be drawn as soon as all matches beforehand have ended.
- Matches can be played either on Thistle MK 1 or a neutral player's server. If the chosen server is a neutral player's server, BOTH PLAYERS IN THE MATCH must FULLY AGREE on the server. It is the players` responsibility to set the cap on the server, or tell the neutral player to set the cap. It is 100% up to the players to allow spectators/the number of spectators to allow.

Matches:
- Matches in the Swiss Rounds are Best of Five, as stated above.
- The 'home' player chooses the first map. The player on the TOP of the matchup is the home player, the player on the BOTTOM is the away player.
- The away player chooses the next map, then the home player chooses the third map, and the away player the fourth.
- The same map may not be played twice in one match.
- If, at any point, three games are won by one of the players, the match is over.
- If, after four games, the score is 2-2, the fifth game is played. The map is chosen by the randomizer on this fifth game.
- Only Official maps are allowed. Among these, there is a short list of levels that are not allowed for various reasons. These maps are - Lupus, Nadir, Maximo Center, Marbleland, Nukesweeper Revisited, King of the Marble, and Ring.
- In the case of a drawn game (game - not match. As in 126-126 on Sprawl) matches continue to be played until one player achieves three wins. If more than five total games are required, all extra games` maps are chosen by the randomizer.

To view who you're playing against, and whether you're home or away, use the link in the second post to check the standings & match ups.

PLAYOFFS

As stated above:

- If there are less than 10 players total, the top 4 make the playoffs.
- If there are less than 25 players total, the top 8 make the playoffs.
- If there are 25 or more players total, the top 16 make the playoffs.

The playoffs are single elimination. Players are seeded according to where they end up in the Swiss Rounds, and matched up with one another. To make this clearer, here's an example of the final standings of a mock tournament:

Swiss Rounds
1. Frostfire (totally 8) )
2. Matan
3. Xelna
4. Imperial
5. Regislian
6. Dushine
7. Kalle
8. RC (cuz he's bad at MP obviously)
9-21 = other players who don't matter in this example

(1) Frostfire VS RC (8]
(4) Imperial VS Regislian (5)
(2) Matan VS Kalle (7)
(3) Xelna VS Dushine (6)

- Winner of 1 vs 8 match plays winner of 4 vs 5.
- Winner of 3 vs 6 match plays winner of 2 vs 7.
So we might have
(8] RC VS Imperial (4)
(2) Matan VS Dushine (6)
or
(1) Frostfire VS Regislian (5)
(3) Xelna VS Kalle (7)
Or any combination that follows the seeding rules. There will be a link to the bracket in the second post, so don't worry - you just have to check that to see who you're up against.
Once these matches have been played, the winners play off in a final match. This final is on a set date, and will be filmed and posted to YouTube so all can watch it.

WHAT'S DIFFERENT ABOUT THE PLAYOFF GAMES

Playoff games are essentially played in the same fashion as the Swiss Rounds, but there are a few differences that need to be noted:

- Matches are Best of 7, up to the final, which is Best of 9.
- Randomizer begins choosing on the 7th game (9th in the final) in the playoffs instead of the 5th.
- If both players fail to respect a set time, they must set up another one ASAP (rather than being auto-loss'd). If they go over the two-week time frame, then they are both eliminated.
- Everything else is the same
- LOWER seed is home

SIMPLE CONDUCT RULES

- The biggest conduct rule is USE COMMON SENSE.
- For taunts, the only taunt that is allowed to be spammed is /v2 (Gaashfdkjrwljrwq…etc). Other taunts may be used in context (i.e; MM'ing somebody and doing Mega Marble Kids!) 1-2 at a time.
- Spectators of a match are not allowed to talk in server chat or taunt during a game. If a spectator disrupts the game intentionally (needs to be kicked), he will be disqualified from the tournament & the Marble Blast staff will be notified. The game the disruption occurred in will be replayed UNLESS both the following apply: a) there was less than one minute left to play, and b) one player was leading by 25 or more points.
- Please be a respectful winner, and a respectful loser. Trash talk before games is allowed but try not to go over the top/get too serious.

BASIC Q & A (please check this before asking a question!)

Q: I crashed during a game! I don't want a loss…
A: That sucks - read the last section, under the Q/A.

Q: I had to go during a game, and I was winning by a lot! Not fair!
A: It's your responsibility if you have to go during a game. You automatically lose that game if you have to go. If you have to go at any time during the matches of a set time, you will lose the match if it remains unplayed at the end of the 2-week frame.

Q: OMG, it was tied, and I got to the last gem first, but because of ping he got it and won the game (and match!!!!)
A: That sucks a lot, but there's nothing anybody can do about it. It's not fair to your opponent to replay the game, he fought just as hard as you did to win. No replays for ping steals, period, no matter how big the situation.

Q: Can I spam taunts?
A: Read the section above the Q & A - Simple Conduct Rules.

Q: Is respawning with Backspace allowed?
A: Yes.

Q: What the heck? I don't see my name on this round's matchups...
A: If we end up with an odd number of players, you have a chance to receive a 'bye' round. This means you don't play a match on the round. You'll never receive more than one bye in the tournament. If you receive a bye, you will be granted a win in scoring, so no worries!

Q: Everybody's done with their matches, and the round's time frame isn't over yet! We want to get going, can you set the next round early?
A: No. All rounds will be drawn & announced at 9 AM EST on Saturday mornings, period - with the exception of playoff rounds, which will be drawn as soon as the previous round is finished.

Q: I know you said no exceptions for ping steals, but I am LITERALLY INSIDE THE LAST YELLOW and I lost by one!!
A: No exceptions. You could've been there a split second faster.

CRASH DURING GAME RULES

Since there a liable to be crashes during matches, we need a set of rules on them. Here you are:

If the host crashes...
Before the last minute of play > restart game
During the last minute of play with one player leading by less than 25 points > restart game
During the last minute of play with one player leading by 25 or more points > leader can choose to replay game or take the win

If the leader crashes
Before the last minute of play > restart game
During the last minute of play, but leading by less than 25 points > restart game
During the last minute of play, leading by 25 or more points > loser chooses whether to give the player the win or restart game

If the losing player crashes
During the first minute of play > restart game
After the first minute of play but before the last, while losing by less than 25 > restart game
After the first minute of play but before the last, while losing by more than 25 > leader chooses whether to win or restart game
During the last minute of play > leader chooses whether to win or restart game

SPECIAL NOTE: On most Saturday mornings I will be on webchat at the time of the next round's generation (always 9 AM EST on Saturdays) to announce live who plays who in the next round.

Good luck in the tournament, all! If you have an inquiry (not listed above) don't hesitate to ask! Happy marbling!
Last edit: 27 May 2015 13:45 by Frostfire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeff, Kalle29, Regislian, StewMan46

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
28 Feb 2015 19:54 - 17 Jul 2015 21:42 #2
SWISS ROUNDS
challonge.com/1v1MBMPSwissRounds
SWISS ROUNDS

PLAYOFFS
challonge.com/MB1v1Playoffs
PLAYOFFS

Important: The Home player is the player on top, and he picks first map.

SUPER INCREDIBLY ULTRA HYPER MEGA VERY IMPORTANT: If your match is not being streamed or watched by me, then make sure you record the scores! We need them for points differential.

Another Note: All of the other things on the table (TB, Buchholz & Pts Dif) are tiebreaker scores. If you're interested:
If there are players with a tied score, Challonge breaks the tie in these three ways -

1. TB = Wins head to head versus tied opponent. If you're tied in score with somebody, but you beat him head to head, then you win the tiebreaker. If you haven't played eachother yet, or drew, then...
2. Buchholz = Median-Buchholz tiebreaking system. It adds up the score of all your opponents, discards the highest and lowest, and highest score wins the tiebreaker. If your Median-Buchholz scores are the same too, then...
3. Points differential = Challonge adds up the total amount of points your opponents have scored against you, and subtracts it from the amount of points you've scored. This means that if you're romping somebody, don't let up! It could end up saving you if it comes to the third tiebreaker!

Participants:

Tournament Champion
To be decided soon...

Second Place
To be decided soon...

RC
Frostfire

Eliminated: Semifinals (3rd-place tie)

Regislian
MBK

Eliminated: Quarterfinals

[strike]Eguy
Kalle
J@ckRB
Lichable[/strike]

Eliminated: Group Stage

[strike]Rozi
Pro Marbler
Jeff
Lee Zi Xian[/strike]
[strike]Mister Otter 11[/strike]
[strike]Alexis[/strike]
[strike]Loq[/strike]
[strike]Nihahhat[/strike]
Last edit: 17 Jul 2015 21:42 by Frostfire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeff, Eguy

• Kalle29
  • I blame ping for losing
  • Thank you received: 754
28 Feb 2015 20:01 #3
sign me up

༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽ You have been visited by the Nivea™ Donger of moisture. Soft skin and good fortune will come to you, but only if you post "thank you Mr. Skeltal" in this thread ༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
  • PlatinumQuest Programmer
  • Thank you received: 205
28 Feb 2015 20:07 #4
sign me up pleb

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.

• Regislian
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Thank you received: 255
28 Feb 2015 20:08 #5
Me too.

• MBKid
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • XXXquickscoperXXX
  • Thank you received: 35
28 Feb 2015 20:46 #6
sign me up :D

I played marble blast
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister_Otter_11

• Thank you received: 198
28 Feb 2015 22:19 #7
Umm...sign me up? Please?...

lee is awesome

• Eguy
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • Booper Supreme
  • Thank you received: 208
28 Feb 2015 23:46 - 01 Mar 2015 00:12 #8
I'm in!! Hype!!
EDIT- I'm pretty confused as of the Swiss method so will everything be OK if I simply follow the bracket and play whoever I am scheduled against?

"it's the internet eguy. where children are men. men are monkeys, and women are PQ."
-Jeff 2014
Last edit: 01 Mar 2015 00:12 by Eguy.

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
01 Mar 2015 02:08 #9

Eguy wrote: I'm in!! Hype!!
EDIT- I'm pretty confused as of the Swiss method so will everything be OK if I simply follow the bracket and play whoever I am scheduled against?

Yeah, it'll be fine. Try reading my simplified explanation under the wikipedia explanation if u didn't already. Dw, just check the bracket every Saturday morning :p

• Eguy
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • Booper Supreme
01 Mar 2015 02:30 #10
Thanks! My dad just explained how it works.

"it's the internet eguy. where children are men. men are monkeys, and women are PQ."
-Jeff 2014

• Thank you received: 1
01 Mar 2015 12:43 #11
I will participate too :P

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
01 Mar 2015 23:01 - 01 Mar 2015 23:35 #12
We now have ten players, which means i can set the time frame on challenge! Woo...

There will be six rounds of Swiss, and every player will play 6 (some will play 5 if we end up with an odd number of people) games in the Swiss rounds.

We're still welcoming other players though! Feel free to sign up if you haven't yet :)
Last edit: 01 Mar 2015 23:35 by Frostfire.

• Thank you received: 11
02 Mar 2015 18:41 #13
I'll participate guys!

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
02 Mar 2015 20:31 - 02 Mar 2015 20:31 #14

Lichable wrote: I'll participate guys!

Yaay Lichable, glad to have another person, especially one we weren't expecting :)

Hopefully we can get one more by this weekend so as to round it up to 12; an even number and thus no byes.
Last edit: 02 Mar 2015 20:31 by Frostfire.

• Nockess
  • Respected Marbler
  • Respected Marbler
  • Cheater Supreme
  • Thank you received: 786
03 Mar 2015 04:47 #15
Don't forget me! I'll suck, but its worth a shot :D

Call me Chris!

Discord: Nockess#4107
YouTube: www.youtube.com/Nockess
Custom Levels: marbleland.vaniverse.io/profile/5

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
03 Mar 2015 20:32 - 05 Mar 2015 20:56 #16
Note to all: If you skimmed the first post, live announcements of the round's matchups on webchat will be done at 9 AM EST (2 PM GMT) on most (if not all) Saturdays of the tournament. (only 'not all' because of something possibly coming up in real life for me). All ONs, UNKNOWNs and OFFs are subject to change depending on real life schedule changes.

Saturday of March 7: ON
Saturday of March 21: ON
Saturday of April 4: ON
Saturday of April 18: UNKNOWN
Saturday of May 2: ON
Saturday of May 16: ON

P.S. I will edit this post always to change whether I'll be there or not, so always check back here if you're wondering.
Last edit: 05 Mar 2015 20:56 by Frostfire.

• Dave_the_Marbler
  • Novice Marbler
  • Novice Marbler
04 Mar 2015 21:26 #17
DONT forget me!!! Im bad but lets give it a shot!!!! Ill try the one on march 7th!

• J@ckRB
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • *some self-degrading humour*
  • Thank you received: 164
04 Mar 2015 22:22 #18
Sign me up! Might as well, right?
lets do this
i've totally got this
no one will handle my skills (that haven't been used for 2 years).
i've got this

:P

(I'll need to check fully if I'll be able to do the correct time though, IRL schedule gets changed pretty quickly...)

"funny quote" - funny person 2016 part 2 electric boogaloo

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
04 Mar 2015 22:53 #19
Jerry (and Jack, if I take your meaning) - it's not a one time event. It lasts for multiple weeks. Jerry, there is no 'one on March 7'. Please read before you sign up.

05 Mar 2015 02:00 #20
Sign me UP!!! YAY!

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
05 Mar 2015 20:57 #21
All drawings will be at 9 AM rather than 7 AM EST! My bad earlier.

• AlexTheProMacGamer
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Thank you received: 15
06 Mar 2015 13:52 #22
I'm going to participate ;)

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
06 Mar 2015 18:38 #23
Awesome Alexis! Glad you're participating.

Would love to get one more person, so as to have an even number of participants and avoid byes. There are less than 24 hours left to sign up (signups end at 9 am EST, 2 pm GMT).

Don't forget I'll be on webchat at that time to announce the first round's matchups :] (if you miss me, you can always check the bracket using the links in the second post to see who you're against).

• Eguy
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • Booper Supreme
06 Mar 2015 18:58 #24
Nice to see more participants that I was expecting :)
Question, are we supposed to do write ups of the matches like in the previous tourney?

-Jeff 2014
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frostfire

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
06 Mar 2015 19:11 #25

Eguy wrote: Nice to see more participants that I was expecting :)
Question, are we supposed to do write ups of the matches like in the previous tourney?

You can if you want, and for playoff matches, yes

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
07 Mar 2015 13:59 - 07 Mar 2015 14:16 #26
Signups are officially closed! Thanks all who signed up :)

Which means... the tournament has begun! Use the link in the second post to check who you're up against if you missed the live announcement! Pay attention to whether you're home or away (explained in second post)
Last edit: 07 Mar 2015 14:16 by Frostfire.

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
07 Mar 2015 16:34 #27
The first match of the tournament is over, and can be recap'd by any viewers who wish on Imperial's twitch channel!

The match was Frostfire (home) vs Eguy (away)

Here you are:

Map: Architecture
Chosen By: Frost
Score: 147-105, Frost wins
Total Score: 1-0 Frost

Not much of a contest on this one. Was pretty much me from beginning to end.

Map: Tilo
Chosen By: Eguy
Score: 119-107, Frost wins
Total Score: 2-0 Frost

Eguy proceeded to choose Tilo, which caught me by surprise. He was up early, but I came back mid-game and from there it was intense. With around a minute left I started to pull away, and managed to keep the lead.

Map: Zenith
Chosen By: Frost
Score: 123-121, Eguy wins
Total Score: 2-1 Frost

The most dramatic game of the match, it culminated in a 10-seconds-left blue spawn. Being in the lead, I should've gone for the other gems, rather than the blue, but I didn't. The mistake cost me the match as I spawned on the other side of the map, and Eguy gathered most of the blue spawn and the next spawn, giving him the comeback win.

Map: Marble Agility Course
Chosen By: Eguy
Score: 113-104, Frost wins
Total Score: 3-1 Frost wins match

The final map was probably an unwise choice from Eguy - he was debating between it and Marble City. The first half of the game was even, and from there, I pulled ahead and kept a solid 10-pt lead throughout the rest of the match.

Great game, Eguy!

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
07 Mar 2015 18:50 #28
Second match of the tournament has also been played - You can view it on Imperial's twitch channel again! Thanks imp, for streaming!

The match was Kalle (home) vs Regislian (away)

Map: Promontory
Chosen By: Kalle
Score: 122-63, Regi wins
Total Score: 1-0 Regi

Not much to say here. Selected quote from afterwards:
"I should've picked Bowl not **** prom" - Kalle
Which pretty much sums it up.

Map: Epicenter
Chosen By: Regi
Score: 161-109, Regi wins
Total Score: 2-0 Regi

The map wasn't a surprise. Kalle actually fared better here than on Prom.

Map: Skate Battle Royale
Chosen By: Kalle
Score: 83-44, Kalle wins
Total Score: 2-1 Regi

Kalle took an early lead and kept it all the way through. One notable moment, Kalle used the cheap tactic, and Regi proceeded to attempt (and fail) to mega him.

Map: Basic Agility Course
Chosen By: Regi
Score: 112-99, Regi wins
Total Score: 3-1 Regi wins match

It was close for the first half of the match, and then Regi pulled away. Kalle started to come back near the end, but it was already too late.

Good game guys!

• HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
07 Mar 2015 19:36 #29
Sounds like we're off to a good start! Good luck to everyone.

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }

• Imperial
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • Custom Levels Lover
  • Thank you received: 86
11 Mar 2015 10:01 #30
Both the matches of Frostfire vs Eguy and Kalle vs Regislian are now available on Youtube:

Good luck to everyone in the tournament!

Vanquisher / Red Stealer

My youtube channel: www.youtube.com/imperialcuirassier
My twitch channel: www.twitch.tv/imperialcuirassier
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeff, Regislian, Frostfire, Eguy

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 1.452 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.