• Frostfire
  • Frostfire's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
  • Thank you received: 447
12 Jul 2016 22:46 #61
Swiss Round 2: MBOUltimate v J@ckRB

The battle of the brits, as it was dubbed by someone (me), was a highly tense match, easily the most exciting thus far this round. It began with the randomizer selecting MBO to make the first map pick. Without hesitation Megas was chosen for the first time in this tournament (by a player - it had already been selected once by the randomizer). The game began evenly, but MBO got a huge jumpstart about a minute in after a brutal MM hit on Jack, stealing a super jump and claiming an entire double blue spawn for himself. J@ck did not give up, but after this hit, he slowly fell farther and farther behind until MBO was crowned the winner, 127-89.

Jack took quite the thinking period for his first pick but finally settled on Ziggurat, a plain and rather unplayed map. MBO, however, proved quite efficient on the map, and he got a lead early which he didn't let up. Though it looked as if Jack could get a comeback started multiple times, he was never able to pull back in front of MBO, and missed a blue in the final second of the match (though it wouldn't have saved him - he would still have been down 12). MBO, though inches away from the blue, was also unable to get it to increase his points differential, and the score ended at 81-64.

Now up with a comfortable 2-0 lead, MBO was subjected to a barrage of "pick sprawl!!"s from matan and co., having creamed Jack on it in the warmup round. MBO, however, ignored their advice. I would never go so far as to say that bit wasn't wise, but what he did next certainly seemed iffy: he chose Core. At this point in the game, the rather slow-speaking public announcer crashed out of the match, and the poor abused cameraman (now I'm stealing your joke style perks) was left to both film AND commentate to the crowd what was happening. He seemed to be fairly successful, however, as Core is a rather easy map to film and doesn't require much movement (turn until you see the gems, and then wait ages for the players to find them and collect them). Anyway - as for the match itself, MBO started out trailing Jack slightly, just looking a bit slower to the gems and with his gem routes. He continually followed Jack around for a gem or two throughout the match and made some questionable strategic decisions on the point of reds v yellows. During the first few minutes, however, he kept himself within a couple of points of Jack with a couple of well-handled blue spawns. The third blue, however, went to Jack, who then began to distance himself from MBO even more. It stayed this way until the final half-minute in which MBO put up a furious fight, pulling within six, but he was unable to regain the lead and lost the game 81-75.

At this point the public commentator finally returned - but the time it took him to get back into the game was nothing compared to Jack's thinking time. The peanut gallery in main chat suggested Spires and King of the Marble among other things, and all of the rest of us thought Jack would know better than to take them seriously, but alas - he selected Spires! The longest map in the game, lasting 6 minutes (of pain), Spires had yet to be played in this tournament. Let it be known that matan and co. spazzed when Jack chose the monstrous level.
Six minutes later, however, nobody was laughing at Jack's selection as he proved more efficient and precise than MBO on the map, simply taking the better half of most spawns and landing on the point-heavy areas a split second before MBO. Jack gathered a strong lead in the first half of the match and maintained for the rest of the game, and though MBO looked to be coming back once or twice, he never was able to get the momentum spinning his way. Jack got a solid win of 85-67.

And now it had come to Game 5. Its game tied 2-2, with the peanut gallery shouting insults to it, the randomizer was activated - and it chose Promontory, the largest map in the game.
There is not much to be said for the first part of this game. MBO gained slowly but surely on Jack for about two minutes when suddenly Jack had a lag attack. His marble began to teleport tiles at a time and soon it stopped entirely, half-buried in the floor. MBO, at first unaware of this, added perhaps 20 points onto his already formidable lead until he realized what had happened. At this point the cameraman (also the tournament organizer) explained the rules fully for everyone so as to satisfy all questions: "we'll let the clock run out".
Somehow that didn't do the trick, but people seemed to accept it well enough. And so, three minutes later, MBO 'won' the game 85-38. Jack had still not logged back in after his crash. The tournament organizer then stated that it was MBO's choice - he had had a decent-sized lead when Jack crashed, and if he wanted, he could take the win. MBO, as the shamelessly good sport he is, chose to rematch Jack on the same map.
In due time Jack returned, learned what had happened, and rejoined the game. Promontory was started again - and again MBO took a lead and increased it as time went on, spawn after spawn building it up until he had a 30-point whopper with a minute to go. Jack valiantly continued his attempts to come back, but they proved futile, and MBO was victorious 116-71, and won the match 3-2.

Fun Fact: Jack got all 4 blues on Promontory.

Great games guys - the closest yet perhaps! Looking forward to more exciting battles :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: J@ckRB, MBOUltimate, Xedron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Xedron
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Level Speedrunner
  • Thank you received: 294
13 Jul 2016 01:55 #62

Frostfire wrote: Swiss Round 2: MBOUltimate v J@ckRB

At this point in the game, the rather slow-speaking public announcer crashed out of the match, and the poor abused cameraman (now I'm stealing your joke style perks) was left to both film AND commentate to the crowd what was happening.

At this point the public commentator finally returned - but the time it took him to get back into the game was nothing compared to Jack's thinking time.

Erm...I'd appreciate it if you didn't call me out like that for a write-up :dry: I really tried my best to commentate.

Anyways, GG to both of 'yall.

"cna you salt spalt the slevel salt of 6 year salt who ca salt the lsat" - nobody, 2017

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
13 Jul 2016 12:16 - 13 Jul 2016 13:04 #63

Xedron wrote:

Frostfire wrote: Swiss Round 2: MBOUltimate v J@ckRB

At this point in the game, the rather slow-speaking public announcer crashed out of the match, and the poor abused cameraman (now I'm stealing your joke style perks) was left to both film AND commentate to the crowd what was happening.

At this point the public commentator finally returned - but the time it took him to get back into the game was nothing compared to Jack's thinking time.

Erm...I'd appreciate it if you didn't call me out like that for a write-up :dry: I really tried my best to commentate.

Anyways, GG to both of 'yall.

I'm just messing around lol, you did fine commentating.
Last edit: 13 Jul 2016 13:04 by Frostfire.

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
13 Jul 2016 20:21 #64
challonge.com/MBsummer2016

Minor announcement:

I made a small mistake with the tiebreakers for this tournament, as the 'buchholz tiebreaker' will not work very well with only 5 rounds being played. I've changed it with 'Set Win %' as the second tiebreaker.

Set Win % is effected if you win a game but still lose the match - someone who loses 3-1 will have a better Set Win% that someone who loses 3-0. Points Differential remains 3rd tiebreaker, wins v tied opponents remains 1st tiebreaker.

• Thank you received: 4
13 Jul 2016 23:02 #65
Incredibly sorry for the delay, 2 videos for you here. Writeup for whichever one i need to will be up asap

The following user(s) said Thank You: Frostfire, Weather

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
14 Jul 2016 01:44 #66
Thanks savage for uploading that match!

Kalle v HiGuy (Swiss Round 2)

The match kicked off with a selection of Sacred by HiGuy. He gathered a large lead quickly and proceeded to keep it for almost the entire match, until the final seconds when Kalle looked to be coming back. He pulled within 10, but time ran out before he could make a difference, and left HiGuy with the 90-81 win.

Kalle, unsurprisingly, retaliated with SBR. The game started out even enough, Kalle having a slight lead, but a couple of spawns fell HiGuy's way and soon he was up by a few points. He extended the lead slowly until it was a 15-pointer, and then nabbed a blue and an entire red spawn. Kalle tried desperately to recover from the deficit but was unable to make up most of it, losing on his best map 92-78.

HiGuy had his opponent in a 2-0 hole, but did not show mercy, instead choosing Ring. The game began and Kalle put on the afterburner, taking a solid lead in the opening minute and maintaining it until around the half way point - and then it was completely and utterly shattered. The score, with a minute and a half remaining, was 61-60 for HiGuy. The score at the end of the game was 127-71 for HiGuy (though kalle did take a second or two out to comment on the lag). Aside from this, however, Kalle took the unexpected blowout quite stoically, leaving the game with a polite 'gg'.

GG guys, looking forward to more tourney action to come! Maybe my puny writeup will convince you to watch the video? :)

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
15 Jul 2016 20:00 - 15 Jul 2016 21:02 #67
Conclusion to Swiss Round 2
just waiting for this get jammed at the bottom of the page again

Another round 10/10 on matchup completion! Thanks all for being so responsible... if we could make it through all five swiss rounds without a single match missed, I think we would set some kind of record... lol

So, to recap the round, we had some very exciting games. The middle positions of the standings ( challonge.com/MBsummer2016 ) are currently being decided entirely by tiebreakers, as well as on either side of the 1-1 players; and only half of the matches this round were sweeps! Prepare for closer and closer pairings...

We are still awaiting two writeups/videos, MBK v lee (by me) and tue v 3f (by perks).

The next drawing will be at the same time as always tomorrow (9am EST, 1pm GMT on Saturday). We have loads of different possible matchups for this round, and all the (approximate) chances can be found here: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1A05OYbZ3...t7Q/edit?usp=sharing

AN IMPORTANT REMINDER FOR EVERYONE: There will be at least one game in the upcoming round between players of DIFFERENT SCORES, meaning that they have won a different number of matches. The player with the LOWER SCORE gets the first map pick - the /random command is only to be used when opponents have the same score (for example, MBOUltimate (2 points) v Lichable (1 point), Lichable would pick the first map.) /random is still used if players have the same score though. Score = number of wins = record.

And lastly I'd like to remind everyone to be good sports with ggs and taunts and such... there was a small incident in the last game (looking at you 3f :p) which was really just frustration in the form of taunts other than Gaashfdklaxw, but nonetheless, try to keep the non-rage taunts to a minimum :)

Thanks for the awesome 100% participation record we have going so far! Looking forward to next round.
Last edit: 15 Jul 2016 21:02 by Frostfire. Reason: paranthesis somethin
The following user(s) said Thank You: J@ckRB, NF

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
15 Jul 2016 23:37 #68
Swiss Round 2: MBK v Lee Zi Xian

MBK and Lee faced off at very different times of day from either one's point of view - When the match began, Lee had been planning to be in bed five minutes ago, and MBK had literally just woken up. There was much confusion before the match on whether or not MBK would arrive, and a time zone mixup which was sorted out by the tournament organizer (with the help of a certain pizza-loving moderator).
After all of this, however, the game turned out to be an intense battle.

Lee was given the first map pick and selected Sacred. He was indeed efficient on the map, jumping into the lead and keeping it throughout the majority of the game. MBK, however, managed to stay alive with a few key blue nabs. Could MBK, fueled by the memory of his comeback against HiGuy on the very same map, achieve victory? Unfortunately, with 30 seconds remaining on the clock, the blue tables turned, and Lee grabbed an entire blue spawn, taking the lead by 25. MBK put a strong effort into the final half-minute but didn't have enough time to recover, losing 108-94.

MBK, down 0-1, requested that I scroll through the levels until coming upon one he liked. This map turned out to be Marble It Up - and I immediately had a flashback to my choice of Marble It Up vs Lee in the last tournament. After defeating him solidly in the first two games, I nearly lost on Marble It Up, finishing with an 11-point win of 100-89. I was therefore expecting MBK's choice to backfire, as Lee seemed very efficient on the map. It turned out instead that MBK knew his stuff. He took a big lead early on and it was looking like he would be able to keep extending it until around the one-minute mark, when Lee started to pull back. Before anyone knew what was happening, it was tied at 88 with thirty seconds to go and both players were desperate. They raced for the next spawn, but MBK got there first and nabbed the better half of it, leaving the last red tucked behind a wall with a 2-point lead. Lee, apparently realizing this was not the time for his famous move, hastened to get it, but there was no lucky double spawn waiting for him. MBK reached the blue spawn ahead of Lee and again collected the better portion (including the blue), extending his lead to a comfortable 8 points. Lee attempted to pull his maneuver at the end of this spawn, leaving the last red whilst down 7, but MBK realized that it was too late for Lee and got the red anyway with less than 10 seconds to play. If there had been a blue spawn at this point, Lee could possibly have pulled off a miracle - but it was a spawn dominated in color by reds, and the game ended at 102-95.

There is not much to be said for the game on Marble City, chosen by Lee. The leads went back and forth and it was extremely intense until the final two spawns, where Lee collected the lion's share and surged into the lead he needed. Both players went through the final blue at the end (on my screen) but neither got it, they were so close to the end of the timer. The score ended at 107-98 for Lee.

MBK, in the face of a loss, requested another scroll-through of the maps. After seeing them all, he selected Architecture as his second choice. The match began with Lee jumping immediately into a 20-point lead, which was held for the first three and a half minutes. But with about 1:30 left on the clock, MBK looked to be coming back. He got the gems far quicker than Lee for a short span of time, coming within 2 points of him, when the climactic blue spawned with just over a minute to play. Both players went for as quickly as possible, but in the end MBK was left behind Lee on the bottom floor, and Lee pounced on the blue that would lead him to his victory. After this point, Lee extended the lead as the last minute ticked away, landing a win of 121-104 and a match victory of 3-1.

GGs guys!

• Thank you received: 18
16 Jul 2016 11:59 #69
And I guess everyone forgot about me vs. Lichable?...

• Thank you received: 415
16 Jul 2016 12:31 #70
"How many paragraphs have you written, hPerks?" "32." You conveniently forgot to mention that nine of these were one line, hehe. However, this is by far the most thorough and impressive write up that I have seen and I can't wait for round three!

• Xedron
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Level Speedrunner
16 Jul 2016 19:11 #71
Swiss Round 2: Toothy vs. Lichable

This match saw two players who both had lost their first match-ups in Round 1, but both were out to seek vengeance and a greater placement in the tournament standings. It was already deemed by me this was one of the only matches which felt unpredictable to determine the results. Would the results come out the same way?

Both players showed a bit of nervousness before the games started, and right before I was about to ask Toothy to give the first map pick, he requested for a warmup before the real games began. After a bit of thinking they both eventually agreed on Triumvrate, a beginner map that heavily relies on the use of powerups as well as quickness and precision. Toothy began to show life in the beginning but after a while fell behind Lich, who took a few gem spawns to extend his lead to about 20. With about one minute left the result was clear, and Lichable won the warmup round 78-50.

This seemed to be a bit of a wake-up call for Toothy that Lichable was not the type to lose without a fight. Toothy had won the randomized pick and picked Spires as his first map. A very shocking pick by Toothy, as this is said by most to be the hardest (as well as longest) multiplayer map in the game. It relies heavily on accuracy and powerup usage. I personally had never seen Toothy play on this map before, but he seemed sure of his pick and soon the first match started.

It actually seemed promising in the first couple minutes for the two players, with the score tied 14-14 at the 4:30 mark. However, immediately after Lichable was able to grab the first blue gem as well as take a few reds, which gave him a small but considerable lead. Toothy managed to stay just behind of Lichable for much of the map up until about the 3:15 mark, when a slight lagspike for Toothy gave Lichable a chance to capture almost an entire gem spawn with a blue, which extended his lead to 41-24 at the half-way mark. Toothy came back with a couple of gem steals, but afterwards he began getting left in the dust as Lichable had more chances to get a bigger lead, outscoring Toothy 30-10 in the last three minutes of the match. The results were 71-35, and a good 1-0 start for Lichable.

Now Lichable had a lot more confidence about this match. After barely any time to think, Lichable settled on Sprawl as the next map. This map was known to be a big gem-collecting map, and usually results in very big scores that can often lead to both very big and close game results. (Toothy crashed right before it started and the very loud and annoying commentator made sure to announce it on global chat :P )

The game started off very well for Toothy, who got the majority of the first few gem spawns, and managed an 11-5 lead to start off the match. However, in a very short amount of time, Lichable was able to get a short lead ahead of Toothy with a few good (and somewhat lucky) plays to get his lead back up. The game pretty much went back and forth between the two for the first couple minutes of the match, with toothy grabbing a lead and barely leading Lich 33-32 around 3:30. Toothy, however, seemed to slow down a bit after this tiny lead, allowing Lichable to grab the majority of the next gem spawns. Because of this, Toothy fell about 20 points behind Lichable at the half-way mark of the match. Toothy was able to grab a few gem spawns after that but was never able to catch back up to Lichale. The final score was 128-108, and a 2-0 lead for Lichable.

Now it was time for Toothy's second pick. After a while of thinking, he eventually chose Playground as his second (and last) map. Once again, this map started off pretty even between the two of them, with Toothy just behind Lichable, but after Lich stole an entire blue gem spawn Toothy found a himself dragged behind Lichable 30-15. However, at around the 3:45 mark, Toothy began experiencing some massive lag and Lichable even offered to start the game over, but Toothy continued to play the game, despite his awful ping disadvantage. Toothy began to slow down massively after this happened, and Lichable got a bigger and bigger lead until the score was 115-60. At this point, Toothy pretty much gave up and just waited for the match to end (it took a while for Lichable to realize this). The final score was 125-61 and Lichable had won the last game 3-0. However, Lichable decided to be a good sport and let Toothy try a rematch, but Toothy was very mad and quit immediately after the match end (he thankfully calmed down later)

So that was Toothy vs Lichable..brought to you by the worst commentator ever, Xedron. Definitely different results than I thought from these two players, and I hope to see more stuff from them in the later rounds. I apoligize for the long wait for this write-up (no Toothy we didn't forget lol). And as always, be sure to check out more Round 3 excitement!

"cna you salt spalt the slevel salt of 6 year salt who ca salt the lsat" - nobody, 2017
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lichable, hPerks, Nockess

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
18 Jul 2016 12:05 #72
Swiss Round 3: hPerks v Tue

Tue selected Spires and EOTS; perks selected Gems in the Road. perks smashed on both of Tue's pick - Gems in the Road was close as Tue owned the slide and made some good plays elsewhere.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robert

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
18 Jul 2016 17:17 #73
Swiss Round 3: Xedron v Eguy

Sorry for the simplified writeups! In a bit of a hurry when I wrote these last two.

Xedron started off by selecting Vortex Effect; Eguy gained a lead fairly early and maintained it throughout to grab a solid win.

Eguy picked Tilo and dominated.

Xedron picked Sprawl, and it was an extremely close game until, with about a minute and a half left, Xedron made a strange strategic error, camping instead of heading towards a 50-50 spawn. This allowed Eguy to grab two entire spawns and Xedron never came back from the deficit.

• Regislian
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Thank you received: 255
19 Jul 2016 20:52 - 19 Jul 2016 20:53 #74
Swiss Round 3: Nature Freak vs Weather

Nature Freak was first to pick, and after some thinking he chose Blast Club. Weather soon took the lead and kept it the entire match. Nature Freak has had some lag spikes as you can see in the video. 0-1

Then Weather picked Triumvirate, on which it quite soon became obvious Weather was gonna dominate the game. 0-2

After the 2-0, Nature Freak decided to choose a level he is clearly quite comfortable with: Triple Decker. A close match, but Nature Freak managed to win, by 8 points. 1-2

Weather was next to pick, and chose Tilo. With plenty of mistakes from both sides, a very close and exciting match. Nature Freak won. 2-2

Then it was up to the randomizer to determine what the last level would be. Core... Of course, everyone's favourite. Yet another close match, but Nature Freak's comeback fell a bit short, and Weather took the win. 2-3
Good games.
Last edit: 19 Jul 2016 20:53 by Regislian. Reason: Pressed enter a few more times to make it seem bigger.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NF, Weather

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
21 Jul 2016 19:16 #75
We are halfway done with the round and there are only two more days to go, so I need everyone who has yet to play to WRITE DOWN THEIR SCORES ON PAPER (when they play) so that I have them before the drawing Saturday! Thanks all :)

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
21 Jul 2016 23:32 - 21 Jul 2016 23:33 #76
Swiss Round 3: El Robert v Kalle

It was hoped before the match that an epic battle would take place between Robert and Kalle. Robert claimed to have eaten pizza earlier that day - could that fuel him to victory against the pizza man himself? He was not, however, given the first pick - Kalle used it to choose SBR (to no one's surprise).

The game started quite even, but Kalle pulled away when he beaned the first blue, taking a 13 point lead. The following spawn was another blue spawn - the top blue spawn - and both players raced to get there. Robert was up first, but he went WAY up, too high, and came down so hard that he bounced over the blue. This allowed Kalle to snatch it from just behind (and underneath) Robert.
Kalle now had a solid lead on his favorite map but it was about to be extended more, for the next spawn was a double blue that favored Kalle greatly, who was about five marble-lengths from it. This double blue propelled to a blowout victory of 114-72.

Robert, down 0-1, stated in the server chat: "Blast club has worked twice... so i'll pick Basic Agility Course," and later called it 'Robert logic'. While this may seem odd, Robert was indeed efficient on the map, and the game was quite even (robert with a small lead at most times), both players trading blues and yellows, until, with a minute on the clock, a double blue spawned. Kalle raced towards the easiest one, and then Robert made his mistake - a rather unwise strategic decision, he followed Kalle, apparently in hopes of blasting him away from the blue. Kalle got it, and both players flew OOB, Kalle first - so Kalle got the better spawn and was able to grab a SJ that led him to the other blue. After this devastating blow, Robert cracked completely, and Kalle gained a 40-point lead in the last minute of play alone. The clock finally ran out on a 153-115 win for Kalle on the one of the most interesting games so far in the tournament.

And now Kalle had his pick - his chance to redeem himself from his 0-3 showing against HiGuy. Would he do it?

Yes, he would. Though Spires belched out an EXTREMELY strange set of spawns (four blues in the first two minutes!), it did not faze Kalle, who took a lead early and increased it every spawn. Robert put up a valiant effort to come back in the final minute, but couldn't get within 15 points of his opponent, eventually losing the game 95-72 and the match 3-0.

GGs guys :)
Last edit: 21 Jul 2016 23:33 by Frostfire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hPerks, Robert, Xedron

22 Jul 2016 04:28 #77
I guess I will have I will have my match with Regislian tomorrow around 12-5 PM (MST). Depends if he's on or not. Hopefully.

• Three
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • level designer
  • Thank you received: 349
22 Jul 2016 19:14 #78
You have to have it before 9am EDT tomorrow.

Follow me on twitter at @threefolder

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
22 Jul 2016 20:14 - 22 Jul 2016 20:30 #79
Swiss Round 3: Lee Zi Xian v Lichable

Currently, with no doubts, the match of the tournament. I could practically write a novel on this battle, with so many twists and turns, and such an insane climactic finish that all who watch the video may suffer severe PTSD months afterwards (don't let that stop you watching!!), but I will keep it as short as I can to save you time, because you need those minutes to rewatch the video over and over again.

Lichie was random'd the first pick and chose Marble It Up, a map he had already won on previously in the tournament. The game was quite close for a while, but near the end Lichie began to pull away, maintaining a 10-point lead throughout the last minute. Lee made a push to come back with a last-second blue, but it wasn't enough, and Lichie won Game 1 95-89.

And the 6-point finish on Game 1 was only the beginning of the beautiful match these two would produce.

Next, however, Lee picked Zenith, which admittedly was a sit-through-it kind of game. Though Lichie led narrowly for the first minute and a half or so, Lee soon surged ahead and never looked back, increasing his lead drastically and finishing with a 118-87 win.

Lichie chose Sprawl with the score tied 1-1, even though he had lost the map in the warmup game by 8 points. It looked as though it was a wise pick - Lichie led for the first half of the game - and then Lee came back. Lee pulled into the lead, owning a couple of spawns, and suddenly Lichie was playing catchup, struggling to stick with Lee's pace.
He managed it, though, snagging a helpfully-spawning blue and a few yellows, and most of the next spawn as well. At this point there was hardly any time left on the clock and both players headed towards the last spawn knowing the match was over. Lichie had won, 138-120.

Sacred was chosen by Lee. He led most of the game, and though Lichie stayed within range, he never really threatened to blow into a lead. Lee won 107-95.

And then it was 2-2 - time for the randomizer to do its thing.

And its thing was to pick Marble it Up, which had already been played. And then (due to an error by the inept host) to pick it again. And then to pick Sacred, which had also already been played.

Finally - at long last - it settled upon Promontory, the most-chosen map by the randomizer so far this tournament (3 out of 7 randomizes!) and the game began.

What a match! Leads traded, no one in front for long, and right down to the 45-second mark it was anyone's game. Both players collected the next spawn evenly, and with 30 seconds to go, 89-86 for Lee, the final sequence began.

Lee reached the contested helicopter first and immediately activated it, but instead of flying towards the spawn, gyro'd off into no man's land, eventually landing OOB far from the spawn. Meanwhile, Lichie headed without a powerup towards the spawn, but in this case slow and steady wins the race, as Lee was still attempting not to sail off the map. (at this point the awful cameraman went nuts, trying to find the spawn and panicking).

It was an UNDERGROUND blue spawn, and Lichie grabbed every gem until there was just one red remaining. There were 15 seconds on the clock and he was up 96-91. It looked like he had it. The game was his.

And then he performed the first of two errors that would send the entire match crashing down before him.

Lichie grabbed the last red - with Lee still above ground, leaving himself stuck in the underground area as the next batch spawned. Lee raced for it, and began collecting gems as quickly as he could, desperate to grab enough points to overcome his deficit -

and the cameraman frantically swerved between Lee and Lichie - except Lichie wasn't there. He didn't come out of the hole. He was stuck in the underground. As Lee picked up the last three reds to put him in front of Lichie - 98-97, 99-97, 100-97 - Lichie appeared from the underground section, hurrying towards the spawn, but too late. However, perhaps a spark of hope ignited in Lichie for a moment, because the final spawn was right next to him - only fifteen marble-lengths away - but it was already over. He was just rolling towards the gems that would have won him the game, given five more seconds, when the clock ticked to 0 and Lee was dubbed victorious, 100-97 and 3-2.

So what happened? Lichie described his match-losing mistake as "the second time i've lost 3-2 on prom because of a bad jump boost". Though there is no footage of the exact event (thanks, cameraman), I think it is safe to assume he SJ's into the ceiling in his haste to get to the gems, and it was this, in combination with his strategic no-camping error, that cost him the game.

Fantastic game guys, definitely the game of the tourney so far and possibly even by the end of the playoffs!
Last edit: 22 Jul 2016 20:30 by Frostfire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lee, Lichable, hPerks

• Thank you received: 198
22 Jul 2016 21:39 #80
I have to say, that was the most intense match I have ever played!

lee is awesome

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
23 Jul 2016 13:02 #81
Conclusion to Swiss Round 3

Awesome round everyone. Though we lost our perfect game record (curse you kwill!), everything else went smoothly, and we have the game of the tournament in Lee v Lichie. Drawing is about to happen (bit late writing this up... lol).

Thanks again everyone :) good luck next round.

• Thank you received: 11
23 Jul 2016 13:20 #82
The game versus Tue was intense, but not as the one versus Lee!
True I should have camped near the last red, but in my hurry I didn't think of it..
Anyway GGs, I had some great time yesterday playing the tournament!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frostfire

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
23 Jul 2016 13:36 #83
The next round has been drawn! We have some VERY close matchups this time. challonge.com/MBsummer2016

(sorry mbo you got the shaft again D:]

• Xedron
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Level Speedrunner
24 Jul 2016 21:47 #84
Swiss Round 4: NatureFreak vs. Kwill

It was a very crucial match for both players who both remained without a single win in the Swiss Round so far, so with that there was a lot of intensity surrounding this match. Here brought to you by the most annoying commentator in the world, this is NF vs Kwill!

NF chose Basic Agility Course as his first map. It was an interesting choice, seeing that he wasn't going for his usual favorite, "Triple Decker". NF had no regrets once we got the first match started, so could he pull off the win against Kwill?

The match started off with NF grabbing almost the entire first spawn because of a mistake by Kwill, in which he went way too high to grab the blue gem at the top, resulting in NF having time to collect most of the gems. Kwill was able to get his fair share of the spawns with another blue steal. Following this play was a VERY close blue steal by NF right at 3:00 on the clock (I still debate whether it should've been NF or Kwill's..)

Following these intense first 30 seconds of the match he had a "disturbance by our original host of the match, MBCollector672; He crashed out of the game with 2:55 left, which sent everyone back to the home menu. Me and hPerks decided to start the game over again, and when NF and Kwill felt ready we played the match again.

This time however, Kwill dominated at the start of the match, with him most of the gems at the top as NF was trapped at the bottom (followed by one of the greatest struggles I have ever seen to get a yellow gem by NF..) Following this, NF found himself with a 37-17 point deficit with 2:30 left. NF started showing some sort of comeback against Kwill after that first minute, but that was cut short when Kwill grabbed a double-blue spawn and left NF losing by 30 points with 1:30 left.

NF did get another very tight (and somewhat lucky) blue gem after that, but following the first two minutes of the match NF seemed to start slowing down as Kwill began building a bigger lead with little time left. NF never gave up, but with about 30 seconds left and trailing by 40 points the result was very clear to see. The final score was 134-89 and Kwill captured an early 1-0 lead against NatureFreak.

Kwill was very quick to choose his next map, and that was Marble City. I had never seen any of them play on this map, but it was clear that both of these players had some skill on this level afterwards. Kwill was very sure of this pick, and the match started from there.

The game started with NF actually taking a promising lead, taking most of the first few spawns. However, Kwill decided to use his mega-marble powerup to his advantage and dominated the next two spawns, quickly evaporating NF's lead as Kwill began leading 18-13. NF stayed right behind Kwill just like that for the next minute or so, including a mistake by Kwill with 3:55 left, which allowed NF to grab all of the gems on the top layer. It was very even throughout the first half of the match, with no real big lead.

Slowly after the 3:00 mark however, Kwill began building a bigger lead as NF was left behind for most of the spawns. The big match decider was at the 2:25 mark, when a very odd mistake by NF in which he went the opposite way from the next gem spawn caused Kwill to grab two entire gem spawns, including the first big tower spawn (the first blue spawn in the match as well). This put Kwill leading by 34 points over NF with 2:00 left. Kwill seemed to get lucked out with the next couple spawns, grabbing another tower spawn, which pushed Kwill's already big lead to 42, with the game at 101-59 with 1:30 left. NF was able to stay even with Kwill during the rest of the match, but never was able to break the lead. The final score was 129-82, giving Kwill the 2-0 lead over NatureFreak.

At this point NatureFreak decided to play it safe, and chose his most-favored map Triple Decker. NatureFreak was known to be quite dangerous on this map, but Kwill was not ready to give up. At this point MB returned to the match after apologizing for crashing during the first map, and he spectated for the rest of the game. NF took some time to inform the group about birds that were eating their babies, and following that note, the match was underway.

It was a good start for Kwill, who lead 11-3 after taking two spawns in a row. However, NF was able to catch up to Kwill following an error in which Kwill delayed activating his super-jump, allowing NF to grab an entire blue spawn from the ceiling of the map. This left the match tied at 15 for both of the players. Kwill made another big error at 3:15 when he missed the same crucial blue gem on the ceiling twice, allowing NF to once again grab the spawn and get a small 6-point lead.

However, Kwill got back as the next spawn was in the exact same place on the ceiling, and this gave him the opportunity to grab most of the gems on the top. Following this, the game was tied 31-31. The remaining time was extremely even between the two players, with both NatureFreak and Kwill taking turns leading by the single-digits, until there was 40 seconds left and NF grabbed two blue gems as well as two spawns on the ceiling in a row, which gave him a 96-82 lead.

It stayed that way until 20 seconds left, NF fell off the map right next to a big blue spawn at the bottom floor of the map. Kwill used this opportunity and collected nearly all of the gems, and by this time he was only 2 points down with 10 seconds left. Kwill tried his best to get a lead against NF with only a few seconds left, but NF got a lucky top spawn which gave him the win as he beat Kwill in one of the closest matches of the tournament 109-104, giving NF his first win but still trailing 2-1 to Kwill.

Kwill had the chance to pick the fourth map of the match-up, and he quickly picked Gems in the Road. One of the first times this map has been chosen during this tournament, NF was admittedly out of practice on this map, replying with "Gosh..well at least I won one game." Could NF mount a comeback with this map?

NatureFreak did show some good efforts to start off the match, leading 16-9 after grabbing an entire red spawn from the slide. Kwill fought back however, getting two gem spawns following that, and just 10 seconds after NF looked to be in good shape, his lead was evaporated and Kwill lead 23-20. NF got a few more spawns following a mistake by Kwill at 3:07 on the clock. He quickly grabbed another red spawn from the slide and just soon after NF has just a one-point lead 40-39 with 2:45 left. It began to get very even between both players, with Kwill leading by only one point with 2:20 left.

And then after that point is when Kwill started to shine.

He got nearly all of the next several spawns, while NF tried to keep up with Kwill's lead. He began to increase his lead to nearly 20 at the 1:30 mark. It was around this point that NF knew that he was in trouble. He got a couple gems after this point but it was not enough to get a good fight against Kwill, who won the game afterwards 99-74 and Kwill won the game 3-1

Very good matches between these two players, as Kwill advances to 1-3 while NatureFreak remains winless with a 0-4 record. My name is Xedron, the world's most loud and annoying commentator, and stay tuned for more excitement in the next matches! :cheer:

• Thank you received: 198
26 Jul 2016 06:27 #85
3folder pls dont salt me im sorry next year ill leave you a 0.1 second headstart

lee is awesome
The following user(s) said Thank You: Three, Nockess

• Regislian
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Thank you received: 255
26 Jul 2016 19:31 #86
Swiss Rd 4: hPerks vs. MBOUltimate - 2016 Summer 1v1 Tournament

First pick was Sprawl, picked by hPerks, after a warm-up was played on this same map, in which hPerks clearly was dominating. Which he did again, although it was a bit closer than in the warm-up. (1) hPerks 180 - (0) MBOUltimate 149

Next MBOUltimate chose Skate Battle Royale. A very exciting match, in which MBOUltimate took the lead early on and hPerks almost managed to comeback near the end. (1) hPerks 96 - (1) MBOUltimate 99

After some thinking hPerks decided to go for Marble City next. MBOUltimate started off quite good, he had the lead till about midway, after that hPerks managed to pull ahead. (2) hPerks 133 - (1) MBOUltimate 123

Next MBOUltimate chose Blast Club, a very exciting match, with alternating front-runners. Near the end of the match hPerks tried to super speed to a yellow gem, which he somehow missed, which made this game a tie. (2) hPerks 89 - (1) MBOUltimate 89

Next the randomizer chose Tilo, hPerks took the lead early on, but at around 2:30 MBOUltimate took over the lead and although it was very close managed to win this one. (2) hPerks 113 - (2) MBOUltimate 118

In the last match the randomizer picked Architecture. MBOUltimate took the lead early on. hPerks had pretty much already resigned to the fact he was gonna lose this one even, since he was about 20 gems behind with 1:40 left on the clock. He went ham, pretty much, and ended up winning by 21 points. (3) hPerks 135 - (2) MBOUltimate 114

Good games!
The following user(s) said Thank You: MBOUltimate

• Weather
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Thank you received: 263
28 Jul 2016 16:22 #87
HiGuy versus Frostfire

After attempts to fix collisions and fumbling over who's server is cooler, two warm-ups were played, with Frostfire winning the first (Sprawl) but losing the second (Epicenter) possibly due to webchat distractions.

The randomizer monkeys smiled upon Higoo giving him the first map pick of...
(long pause)
...Sacred. At first Frosty had a short lead, but a blue and a few more gems got HiGuy close to his score. After a minute, Frosty started pulling away, especially after he managed to grab two blues. At the halfway mark, the scores were 90 to 44. HiGuy started doing better, able to snatch two more blues and almost an entire spawn until he got "stuck" and respawned on the other side of the map. Frosty was lost searching for the gems that happened to be on the other side of the wall, allowing HiGuy to grab the rest of the gems bringing the scores to 105 to 77 with a minute left. At twenty seconds, Higoo was almost lost to a pitfall, but he quickly reacted with a blast, earning him the rest of the spawn and a compliment from the cameraman. The match ended on the far side of the map at 117 to 96. It looked like a clever map choice, and given one or two more minutes, HiGuy might have won.

Frostyflame chose Architecture as the next bunch of platforms to fling marbles across. The first set of gems on the first floor was collected mostly by Frosty who lost only one gem to Higoo. The next spawn was on the second floor that HiGuy easily got to using a tactic called "fall OOB and hope you get a good respawn". Frosty however bumped his head on the trim he went super-speeding into. He made up for the mistake with some nice moves and a blue getting him to 22 to 11 at 35 seconds in. The next bunch of gems looked to be Frosty's until he was bashed into the clouds by mega marble Higoo who also went flying. Frosty got lucky and was placed by the gems whereas HiGuy was placed on the lower floor, where he stayed until gems appeared down there as well. After they ate the points remaining, they both plummeted down a hole and respawned by the new gems on the second floor. A blue steal happened, the phone rang, and the halfway point revealed scores of 77 to 39. It looked like Frosty would increase his lead with another blue, but HiGuy barely overshot the blue and with the power of spin bounced back into it. Frosty began to improve his gameplay leaving HiGuy in his tracks until he was found clutching a sand slope beneath a gem that HiGuy quickly snatched. Frosty flies into the surrounding storm once more, HiGuy gets a blue steal, and frosty used the trim to his advantage this time, using it to reverse the direction of his gyrocopter into the gems. As the timer was going into single digits, Frosty grabbed most of the gems with style, and the millisecond the last intense note of the classical music played, the match finished at 160 to 91.

HiGuy had promised Jeff that if he lost both of the first matches, he would pick King of the Marble. Poor Xedron missed this match too when the cameraman asked Jeff to open a spot for him and he responded with a cold "no". Mega marble Higoo got the entire first cluster of gems, hesitating on the last one before blowing Frosty out of the map and nearly grabbing the second bunch as well before mega marble Frosty took the last one. It looked promising for HiGuy, but two seconds before the clock said a minute was up, Frosty grabbed a yellow that HiGuy had barely missed and took the lead. Frosty juggled HiGuy a bit with the mega marble bringing the score to 42 to 32 at the halfway mark. Frosty pulled away a little as mega marbles and super speed flumes filled the scene and Frosty won the round with a final score of 94 to 77.

tl;dr spawn steals, blue steals, mega marble kids.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HiGuy, Frostfire, hPerks

• Weather
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
28 Jul 2016 22:07 - 28 Jul 2016 22:13 #88
Tue versus El Robert

After attempts to kick ultragamer and fumbling over how to get him out of Tsuf, they finally started the round five minutes into hPerks' recording.

The randomizer monkeys once again were called upon, allowing Robert the first map choice of... uh... Blast Club. The first blue spawned not thirty seconds in, and despite both opponents flying at it, they both missed, but after Robert fell down the hole he used the super jump to grab it, bringing his lead to 18 to 8. As Robert was about to collect the last gem in a spawn, he stopped. Tue was up on the bridge, waiting for another blue gem. He soon got restless, and went super speeding at the last gem which Robert ate the moment he saw the yellow flames coming at him. His hesitation paid off when the next group of gems revealed to contain the fabled sky-hued treasure. Tue flew into the sky and was put back on the tiled platform where he went speeding up the ramp towards the blue that refracted the image of Robert doing the same on the opposite ramp. As Robert was rocketing up to the gem, Tue's moon-rock marble snatched the five points out of the air, increasing his score to 24. Robert was still doing better though, with 33 points. Shortly after the halfway mark, Tue got to a blue's reach of Robert's score, who quickly recovered. With less than a minute left, a gem cluster had four points lined up on a yellow platform for both players who were only marble-lengths apart. They both used their super speeds but Tue was faster. Half a minute to go. Tue had himself lined up for a super speed through the bowl in the center and into two red gems. As he jumped to avoid the slope, he was caught short and got nudged into a protrusion that sent him flying. Some last-second gem steals and the match was over at Robert's 94 points to 79.

Tue found his playing field pick of Ring rather risky, and both opponents had trouble navigating to the gems. It was only a minute in though, when Robert reached a score of 44 against Tue's 19. He got to most of the blues before Tue, and about halfway through reached 88 to 44. The cameraman (who was hanging out outside the circular structures) mentioned that unlike Robert he hadn't seen Tue use super jumps as shortcuts through the map, a tactic one will find useful especially on gravity-based levels. Tue stole a blue gem seconds before the end screen appeared reporting scores of 116 to 64. Robert needed only one more victory.

He decided to go with the greebled terrain of Par Pit, and right off the bat was a cool blue gem that Robert soon grabbed. Tue got the second blue gem, and Robert, the third, which happened to be in the same spot. Robert got caught in the tornado's finicky tug and quickly decided to respawn before the first minute was up and the scores were in Robert's favor at 35 to 19. His control of marble spin got him nine points before the tornado grabbed him and Tue. After Tue got out, Robert made a few mistakes costing him three points. The next set of gems was in his area but Tue collected some more points (including a blue) with a spot-on super jump and quick movements. At the halfway point, Robert still had the match in his hands with a score of 59-43. The two marbles found themselves at the bottom of a line of steps sprinkled with gems. They both raced up, but Tue was once again faster and claimed the three points. They both rebounded off walls to grab the remaining four points on the ledges around the steps, where Tue got another three points. The next bunch of gems had a blue in Tue's grasp thanks to Robert's short jump. He got stuck in the tornado again, allowing Robert to collect the remaining points. The last minute started with scores of 86 and Tue's 74. He still had this match within his reach. A blue gem allowed Tue's score to reach the top with 94 to 93, but a yellow steal by Robert a second later, and he was once again in second. Two seconds to go, a blue spawned. If Tue got this, he would tie at 104 and have another chance. Both opponents lunged at the pillar, falling short. If Tue was the only one to reach it, Robert would have won anyway as he bounced onto two more points, and the match was over with 106 to 99.
Last edit: 28 Jul 2016 22:13 by Weather. Reason: bold move
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tue27, Robert

• Weather
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
29 Jul 2016 19:17 - 29 Jul 2016 19:18 #89

hPerks wrote: After wishing good luck to MBCollector (who wasn't even playing)

k then

Best tie ever.
Last edit: 29 Jul 2016 19:18 by Weather.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Three, MBCollector672

29 Jul 2016 21:17 - 29 Jul 2016 21:36 #90
The reason I got pissed at the end was a combination of the map's fault and people not knowing how to get the randomizer to work, and I was frustrated that a pseudo system (that ended up using Basic Agility Course) had to be used. The thing with the randomizer is that you need to scroll through all 36 maps, and THEN it'll work. Let alone all of the annoying lag I encountered at the last two maps. I just felt like technical problems ruined my chances in this round.

Of course, there's nothing I can do about it. A lose is a lose and a win is a win. I don't want to get all up on my internet provider just because my ping constantly ruins the game for me... I'm not sure how I could explain that to them without looking like a crazy person.
Last edit: 29 Jul 2016 21:36 by Toothy.

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 1.358 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.