file Marble Blast::Happy Roll [Dead]

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
  • PlatinumQuest Programmer
  • Thank you received: 205
09 Sep 2012 04:02 #91
...this is confusing. Why did you suspend the mod in the first place when you said you will still work on it when you have time. Am I the only one confused to why the decisions made happened?

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gary
  • Gary's Avatar Topic Author
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Hi all
  • Thank you received: 8
09 Sep 2012 05:16 #92
Sept 8, 2012, 9:02pm, jeff wrote: Am I the only one confused to why the decisions made happened?

because the school start and we could work on the mod only in weekends.

HappyRoll Mod Leader
C++ Beginner

• ChaosUnown
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
  • MB Graphic/Interior Designer
  • Thank you received: 5
09 Sep 2012 19:35 #93
Suspending means no one is able to make any progress on the mod what-so ever for a certain period of time. If you can still work on it there really isn't any valid reason to suspend the mod.

• Gary
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Hi all
16 Sep 2012 04:19 #94
A lot new things that only HR has will come out .
this is one of the features .~

HappyRoll Mod Leader
C++ Beginner

• Thank you received: 0
19 Sep 2012 02:23 #95
what does it do?

• Thank you received: 1
20 Sep 2012 00:51 #96
It appears to be rain... Will it effect the marble's friction?

20 Sep 2012 14:05 #97
We leave that for you guys to find out...

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
21 Sep 2012 00:32 #98
snow

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.

• UN1C0DE
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Happy Roll
01 Oct 2012 17:58 #99
@Explode: Apparently not (at least not now). It just a particle effect, as well as snow.

The reason why we not considering to use Precipitation is that coding Precipitation is very difficult for us, and there are no examples before...

Member of Roll Game Team
Programmer / Level Modeller / Background Music Designer
MarbleBlast::HappyRoll YEAH!!!!!!!!

• Beack
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Beack ewe
02 Oct 2012 02:40 #100
there is already precipitation in Marble Blast Fubar, by the way the mod looks fine.

The weirdest signature that I ever requested

• UN1C0DE
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Happy Roll
02 Oct 2012 17:25 #101
Oct 1, 2012, 7:40pm, satanic wrote:there is already precipitation in Marble Blast Fubar, by the way the mod looks fine.

If I know how to code a precipitation, I will use it instead of a particle effect...

Member of Roll Game Team

• UN1C0DE
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Happy Roll
02 Oct 2012 17:36 #102
[ Will you spam me if I add somthing like Ultra Blast in MBU into HR? O_o ]

Member of Roll Game Team

• Thank you received: 368
02 Oct 2012 19:00 #103
Oct 2, 2012, 10:25am, jimmyax wrote:
Oct 1, 2012, 7:40pm, satanic wrote:there is already precipitation in Marble Blast Fubar, by the way the mod looks fine.

If I know how to code a precipitation, I will use it instead of a particle effect...

Just be careful if you're using particle emitters for your precipitation.. they tend to be memory hogs if you don't adjust the lifespan accordingly. I found it a necessity to have a particle effects slider in the options GUI that will select various emitters with the same particles, but different emit timers and lifetimes. This way, the user can increase or decrease the intensity of the particles based on their machine (avoids having to code and use the emitters for a general player base)

~Aayrl

08 Oct 2012 23:54 #104
Hello Gary... I am here...

• UN1C0DE
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Happy Roll
11 Oct 2012 07:55 #105
I took my laptop to the school after National's Day. Now I can code HR in my dorm.

Member of Roll Game Team

21 Oct 2012 08:12 #106
Here comes a new level!
Name: Ultimate Trapdoors
(90% finished)

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
21 Oct 2012 16:45 #107
No offense, but that level looks too hard and....rather boring. It would be much better if it wasn't just made of trapdoors, for example have challenges based around trapdoors

• Thank you received: 15
21 Oct 2012 18:02 #108
Not only that, but levels based entirely on trapdoors aren't very original (see: Trapdoor Mania in MBP).

• Beack
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Beack ewe
21 Oct 2012 19:32 #109
Based on my experience with mods and MBFuture

Graphics and interface:
-Why you don't on the textures before making the levels, because most of th textures showed in the previews (except on the video) where from MBP/MBA/MBU, also if you do the textures they will have the same name (or they will look white).

-Why texture goes first, because hey are part of the new taste of the mod, also if you change they with a good amount of levels, retexturing will be a pain (I experienced that many times).

-What kind of texturing? anything you want from few ones (less than 20) to the infinite, it's all your decision, but be careful making they fit, example, If I want a realistic mod... I can't come with cartoonish looking stuff, or vice versa.

-The interface is very important too, because this will be the first thing that a player will see, not too colored or too grey (you have to play with that), again be careful to make every graphic fit the whole mod theme.

Levelbuilding:
-The levelbuilding is the most important thing on the mod, because this is the taste/theme/looking of the mod and the main reason why the people will play it, example in Marble Blast Future (yes I will my mod for examples) I did the most quantity of the levels, but they where almost the same (in other words this lacks on gameplay)because the player will be bored with the same theme for all the levels, and after seeing the last level almost done, I really don't want to play it because trapdoors are very frustrating.

-Following the gameplay is the presentation/quality, good looking levels are more attractive to the public than simple looking levels, make sure to build a whole scenery for the levels, it's don't have to be the same forr all, but they need to fit with the mod to keep centered in the mod's theme, quality over quantity...maybe you already heard that, but it's the true about level-making, a mod with 50 or 60 (examples) levels that are fun to play and the overall look is good is way better than a mod with over 300 noobish levels.

-Tutorial levels aren't necesary for the mod, but mostly of the cases (what I did too)the people will focus in the last mod made, if you have new features that wheren't showed in the past, you should do a tutorial of how to use that feature, example in the last preview of your mod I noticed the Blast Power Up, making a tutorial of how to use the Blast Power Up should be fine and the player will remember for wath that bar is there instead of wondering what's that bar?, Beginner levels are the last levels on the list, because basing on the features you do the beginner levels.

Music
-Music is imortant too and for me one of the hardest parts, because every body have their own music likes and dislikes, example I like aggressive music like Black Metal and that stuff, but I didn't say to Dobrakmato (MBF music maker) add tons of song with satanic chrods and violent drums because I like it, because not all like it, be neutral and do something nice to heard and not to boring.

-Following that are the music feelings, because if I don't like the music chords or how it sounds I will it if I don't like and many other will do the same, usually be very open-minded for the music.

Other tips:
-NEVER WORK UNDER PRESSURE, that sure will kill your project,(example) if you done 4 levels and some features in the last week and this week you recently finished 1 and no features, don't worry it's still progress and many times there will be lacks of works due to school/work time and real life.

-I you are stucked with a level/code/graphic/or anything else and don't want to continue, save it, stop stressing yourself and take time to rest a little or do any other thing to clear your mind and when you think you are ready, ontinue it.

-Don't leave the project alone, that cost me Marble Blast Future and all the possible ideas for it.

I'm not shutting down your progress or destroying waht you did with this post, only giving tips to take in consideration.

I will check this topic frecuently.
Also I suggest you to read both:
Advice for aspiring mod creators <----Link
Regarding 'Permission' for mods <----Link

Best Luck for your mod.
-Beack

22 Oct 2012 00:31 #110
Oct 21, 2012, 9:45am, jeff wrote:No offense, but that level looks too hard and....rather boring. It would be much better if it wasn't just made of trapdoors, for example have challenges based around trapdoors
I decided to make this after I played a MBP level with many trapdoors. I thought that one was easy...
For my opinion, this one is not really hard. Because I passed it in 3 minutes. (There are many Time Travels but they are really hard to get. )
You can see a trapdoor wall-hit, a simple roller coaster and a 3D maze in the picture.
How about putting on some hazards? I think that'll be more interesting. Then the name will be changed into Ultimate Trapdoor Challenge.
In fact, my levels are all hard, so they are advanced levels...

22 Oct 2012 00:46 #111
Oct 21, 2012, 12:32pm, satanic wrote:Based on my experience with mods and MBFuture

Graphics and interface:
-Why you don't on the textures before making the levels, because most of th textures showed in the previews (except on the video) where from MBP/MBA/MBU, also if you do the textures they will have the same name (or they will look white).

-Why texture goes first, because hey are part of the new taste of the mod, also if you change they with a good amount of levels, retexturing will be a pain (I experienced that many times).

-What kind of texturing? anything you want from few ones (less than 20) to the infinite, it's all your decision, but be careful making they fit, example, If I want a realistic mod... I can't come with cartoonish looking stuff, or vice versa.

-The interface is very important too, because this will be the first thing that a player will see, not too colored or too grey (you have to play with that), again be careful to make every graphic fit the whole mod theme.

Levelbuilding:
-The levelbuilding is the most important thing on the mod, because this is the taste/theme/looking of the mod and the main reason why the people will play it, example in Marble Blast Future (yes I will my mod for examples) I did the most quantity of the levels, but they where almost the same (in other words this lacks on gameplay)because the player will be bored with the same theme for all the levels, and after seeing the last level almost done, I really don't want to play it because trapdoors are very frustrating.

-Following the gameplay is the presentation/quality, good looking levels are more attractive to the public than simple looking levels, make sure to build a whole scenery for the levels, it's don't have to be the same forr all, but they need to fit with the mod to keep centered in the mod's theme, quality over quantity...maybe you already heard that, but it's the true about level-making, a mod with 50 or 60 (examples) levels that are fun to play and the overall look is good is way better than a mod with over 300 noobish levels.

-Tutorial levels aren't necesary for the mod, but mostly of the cases (what I did too)the people will focus in the last mod made, if you have new features that wheren't showed in the past, you should do a tutorial of how to use that feature, example in the last preview of your mod I noticed the Blast Power Up, making a tutorial of how to use the Blast Power Up should be fine and the player will remember for wath that bar is there instead of wondering what's that bar?, Beginner levels are the last levels on the list, because basing on the features you do the beginner levels.

Music
-Music is imortant too and for me one of the hardest parts, because every body have their own music likes and dislikes, example I like aggressive music like Black Metal and that stuff, but I didn't say to Dobrakmato (MBF music maker) add tons of song with satanic chrods and violent drums because I like it, because not all like it, be neutral and do something nice to heard and not to boring.

-Following that are the music feelings, because if I don't like the music chords or how it sounds I will it if I don't like and many other will do the same, usually be very open-minded for the music.

Other tips:
-NEVER WORK UNDER PRESSURE, that sure will kill your project,(example) if you done 4 levels and some features in the last week and this week you recently finished 1 and no features, don't worry it's still progress and many times there will be lacks of works due to school/work time and real life.

-I you are stucked with a level/code/graphic/or anything else and don't want to continue, save it, stop stressing yourself and take time to rest a little or do any other thing to clear your mind and when you think you are ready, ontinue it.

-Don't leave the project alone, that cost me Marble Blast Future and all the possible ideas for it.

I'm not shutting down your progress or destroying waht you did with this post, only giving tips to take in consideration.

I will check this topic frecuently.
Also I suggest you to read both:
Advice for aspiring mod creators <----Link
Regarding 'Permission' for mods <----Link

Best Luck for your mod.
-Beack
Umm, thanks for your advice. HR won't be dead, we swear.

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
22 Oct 2012 01:00 #112
Awesome post beack, I hope they read the WHOLE thing, as that sums it up

@Zumm how would adding hazards to a level of trapdoors make it easier? Also, just because you are saying its easy for you does not mean it will be easy for the rest of us.

I am not mad or anything, don't think I am. I am just stating my opinion.

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
  • Thank you received: 912
22 Oct 2012 03:54 #113
Zumn, there was a reason Trapdoor Mania was placed in very high expert in MBP. It's because in all seriousness people find trapdoors hard. There were ample amount of checkpoints as well.
We're not saying you shouldn't do one, but we're recommending against these for lack of possible creativity. Adding hazards only makes such levels harder.

While we understand that you may find trapdoor levels easy, it does not necessarily mean that the general public finds them easy. Likewise, people do not like long levels (that's the biggest comment we received in MBP) I like the idea of a trapdoor wall-hit, though and the roller-coaster looks good but it doesn't really add much.

FYI a level by Andrew called Hazard Havoc contained a trapdoor edge hit which was ridiculously hard for me. I don't think I liked trapdoors since

With regards to Beack's post I will second Jeff. You're ignoring his first three points (graphics, level building and music) as well as the links. Unless you actually take them into account and discuss those with your team, you'll find your mod in a lot of trouble later on.

"matan, now i get what you meant a few years back when you said that "the level in mbg is beyond me" after the last rampage i noticed things were insane, and now i truly feel that too" - Dushine, 2015.

• UN1C0DE
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Happy Roll
22 Oct 2012 14:32 #114
I think it should be less trapdoors... because trapdoors are boring....

Member of Roll Game Team

22 Oct 2012 16:52 #115
...Okay, I'll try to make it easier... Although I think the number of checkpoints is enough.
In fact, I don't like MBP's Expert levels too. They are really too long. For instance, the first time I played a space level, I spent 76 minutes then I reached the end pad. But then I found that I LOST one gem!!!
...Then, there is another level I have made.
Name: Dizzying 3D maze
That's a little hard to find the way...

• UN1C0DE
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Happy Roll
22 Oct 2012 16:59 #116
Just keep going!!! I have done a new TimeTravel shape, ticks in it can move... Now, I'm making a new Super Jump DTS...

Member of Roll Game Team

22 Oct 2012 23:29 #117
Oct 22, 2012, 9:59am, jimmyax wrote:Just keep going!!! I have done a new TimeTravel shape, ticks in it can move... Now, I'm making a new Super Jump DTS...
Do not forget to make the DTS of checkpoints...

• Gary
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Hi all
24 Nov 2012 15:04 #118
Still no significant news come out these days because the the school still going on.
But.......
some preview may comes out at Christmas. maybe some pictures,maybe a simple video of happyroll...
well...i have a lot of homework to do now

HappyRoll Mod Leader
C++ Beginner

• Beack
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Beack ewe
24 Nov 2012 15:58 #119
School/University/Work laways delays the progress

also, good the hear news, I really thinked it was suspended or even worse died.

• UN1C0DE
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Happy Roll
12 Dec 2012 08:23 #120
Not offend, I do a lap mode for myself....

But considering originality, I will change it, then, release.

Member of Roll Game Team

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 1.214 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.